Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tile Placement Rule Summary
1. New tiles must be placed side to side with at least one existing tile. The sides of any two touching tiles must match feature-wise (blank to blank, river to river, road to road)
2. New tiles must be placed so that a side or a corner touches at least one existing tile with a clansman on it.
3. New tiles with rivers or roads must be placed so that the river/road connects directly, or through other river/road tiles, to your starting Village tile. (only 1 road and 1 river on your tableau at any time)
4. Resources to cover a new tile's cost must be available on a player's tableau or able to be purchased from the market at the time of placement.
5. If you are still unable to place a tile, discard it, and move one clansman one tile.

I think I understand all of this except a nuance of 5:
IF you are still unable to place a tile . . . means that you MUST place a tile that you have the resources with which to do so? Including the specifications of 4, which would mean you are compelled to buy the necessary resource(s) for placement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
No definitive ruling exists, but I would say yes, and yes.

Rule #5 was added as an afterthought, an ad hoc escape hatch, to fix what is in most cases—rare in themselves—an accidental and unintentional situation. Even if the situation were not that, there is more to be made from placing a tile and activating it than from chucking it and hoping that the 3 point-difference you just created gives you an edge. So my 'yes' is not one of 'because the rules say so' but one of 'you'd be silly not to'. That answer is not going to satisfy the gamers who abhorr loose ends in rulesets, but in this case the loose end can be confidently forgotten about. I wouldn't even mention rule #5 as part of explaining how tile placement works; as explainer I would just keep an eye out that people do not box in clan members in too much, and leave it at that. Rules #1 to #4 are more important by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks much! I feel silly sometimes asking about rules for games I haven't yet played but it seemed a bit important. I saw somewhere in the threads that the game designers never had it arise, and perhaps I never shall.

Aside from continence in rulebooks it did seem important as a potential spoiler, bwo X-ing somebodies desired tile. Thanks again! I know it's not official but I like it the way you explain it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
catmando wrote:
Thanks much! I feel silly sometimes asking about rules for games I haven't yet played but it seemed a bit important. I saw somewhere in the threads that the game designers never had it arise, and perhaps I never shall.

Well... the way you phrased your question is slightly different from the situation which provoked the initial comment from the designer. You will experience every now and then that you only have one or two tiles to choose from. Then the requirement bites; and if it happens too often you will probably lose. Glen More is about being flexible too—but that goes for any game with a (semi-)random influx of game material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lose, because I will wind up with tiles I don't need . . . ? Wait, I think I've reached the point where it's going to make a great deal more sense after I've played. Thanks again!

Oh! Actually, one more thing: I saw nothing in the rules that allows a player to pass. I assume, this being the case, that it is an intentional feature?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catmando wrote:
Oh! Actually, one more thing: I saw nothing in the rules that allows a player to pass.

You realize that it's alwys the turn of the last player on the track? Passing wouldn't change his position, so it would be his turn again. So an option to pass would be meaningless in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
D'oh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
catmando wrote:
Lose, because I will wind up with tiles I don't need . . . ? Wait, I think I've reached the point where it's going to make a great deal more sense after I've played. Thanks again!

It's a matter of flexibility: having less options to choose from is simply worse than having more, and that makes you vulnerable.

But yes, playing will clear up a lot. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I saw somewhere in the threads that the game designers never had it arise, and perhaps I never shall.

I just played through a solo game to learn the rules and this did indeed happen to one of my players:he only had one clansman and he got boxed in. It just seemed like there was never a village/castle he could get to get more clansmen - because they always needed to be bought with wood and wood was not available, from the market or from tiles. So he could never buy another clansman and could only box around the one he had. He didn't fully get boxed in until the very end though. But for the last several turns, I didn't know what to do for his turn since he couldn't take any tiles; I don't think #5 above is written in my rulebook. So I just had him take a tile and discard it for his last couple of turns.

The strange part... he ended up winning by one point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.