Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about "explored" from new player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Commander Video
msg tools
Hello
I just played my third game of this but ran into a rules question about explored status:
1. Can someone who came out of a gate and got the explored marker decide to just have a regular encounter at the location and keep having such a regular encounter (as long as they do not leave) until they decide to attempt to close it? Or do they have to try to close it each turn as their encounter.

2. Can another investigator go to the location of someone with an explored marker and trade with them (say trade an elder sign). It seems according to the rules that investigators who do not have the explored marker are not drawn through the gate until the Arkham encounters phase, so it seems plausible that they could trade "during movement."

Thanks!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No, an investigator can never have a "regular" location encounter while there is a gate open at the location. The gate effectively "replaces" the location. If you need a rational, assume that when an investigator arrives at a location where a gate is open, he sees a giant swirling vortex covering what had originally been there.

2. Yes, I think you are correct. Investigators are drawn through a gate during the Arkham Encounter phase, since the gate has replaced the location. Since trading happens during movement, the second investigator arriving on the scene where the first investigator has returned through the gate can trade with the first. If the second investigator goes first, he will be drawn through the gate before the first investigator can close it. If the first investigator goes first and manages to close the gate, the second investigator will get a "regular" location encounter.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Dan is right on both counts. You may trade during movement because you won't be drawn through until Phase 3.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya in reply to question 2 we got a win last night by grabbing an elder sign at the store and running it down to the woods, giving to the guy sitting on a Ry'leh gate who couldnt close it and sealing for a six seal win.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One additional point on question number one: You do not need to attempt to close the Gate every turn. If you have an Explored Token, you are allowed to do nothing during your encounter phase (for instance, while waiting for your friend with an Elder Sign, or with a Tome that you can read for clues {and yes, you can spend movement points during Movement Phase while on a Gate in Arkham; as long as you do not leave the Location, you keep your explored token}).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Commander Video
msg tools
Thanks for all this info! It really cleared the issue up.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
danwojciechowski wrote:
2. Yes, I think you are correct. Investigators are drawn through a gate during the Arkham Encounter phase, since the gate has replaced the location. Since trading happens during movement, the second investigator arriving on the scene where the first investigator has returned through the gate can trade with the first. If the second investigator goes first, he will be drawn through the gate before the first investigator can close it. If the first investigator goes first and manages to close the gate, the second investigator will get a "regular" location encounter.


I think you can trade at any moment except during combat, as is written by the rulebook:

page 23 of the rulebook wrote:
This may be done before, during, or after movement, but not during combat.


It is nowhere written that before movement means: in the movement phase but before you move. To me, it means: before the movement phase, as there is a phase called movement. But the formulation of this sentence is a bit odd: it could have been "This may be done at any moment in a round, except during combat" or "This may be done at any moment during the movement phase, except during combat."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
radicalizard wrote:
I think you can trade at any moment except during combat,


I believe your reading is correct; at least, it's how we play. I think the "before, during or after movement" is a clarification, since movement phase provides the most opportunities for trades.

The fact that trading is allowed in final combat, when there is no movement phase, seems to support this view.

In my view, the extreme flexibility of the trading rules is one of only two* instances where the rules favor the players, and it is best to use the spit out of that advantage.

*The other is timing. Always keep in mind that when two effects, from any source or sources, occur simultaneously, the order they are resolved in is always up to the first player.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
radicalizard wrote:
I think you can trade at any moment except during combat,


I believe your reading is correct; at least, it's how we play. I think the "before, during or after movement" is a clarification, since movement phase provides the most opportunities for trades.

The fact that trading is allowed in final combat, when there is no movement phase, seems to support this view.

In my view, the extreme flexibility of the trading rules is one of only two* instances where the rules favor the players, and it is best to use the spit out of that advantage.

*The other is timing. Always keep in mind that when two effects, from any source or sources, occur simultaneously, the order they are resolved in is always up to the first player.


We take this freedom, for example, to gather in the beginning of the game with all investigators at the Curiosity shop. Then each one of us gives all his money to the first player. After he buys an item, he gives all the money to the next one and so forth. The last one spreads the money again in the most desired way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
radicalizard wrote:
Radulla wrote:
radicalizard wrote:
I think you can trade at any moment except during combat,


I believe your reading is correct; at least, it's how we play. I think the "before, during or after movement" is a clarification, since movement phase provides the most opportunities for trades.

The fact that trading is allowed in final combat, when there is no movement phase, seems to support this view.

In my view, the extreme flexibility of the trading rules is one of only two* instances where the rules favor the players, and it is best to use the spit out of that advantage.

*The other is timing. Always keep in mind that when two effects, from any source or sources, occur simultaneously, the order they are resolved in is always up to the first player.


We take this freedom, for example, to gather in the beginning of the game with all investigators at the Curiosity shop. Then each one of us gives all his money to the first player. After he buys an item, he gives all the money to the next one and so forth. The last one spreads the money again in the most desired way.


That doesn't work; purchasing items occurs during the Arkham Encounters phase, which is after the Movement phase.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
goodshepherd wrote:
radicalizard wrote:
Radulla wrote:
radicalizard wrote:
I think you can trade at any moment except during combat,


I believe your reading is correct; at least, it's how we play. I think the "before, during or after movement" is a clarification, since movement phase provides the most opportunities for trades.

The fact that trading is allowed in final combat, when there is no movement phase, seems to support this view.

In my view, the extreme flexibility of the trading rules is one of only two* instances where the rules favor the players, and it is best to use the spit out of that advantage.

*The other is timing. Always keep in mind that when two effects, from any source or sources, occur simultaneously, the order they are resolved in is always up to the first player.


We take this freedom, for example, to gather in the beginning of the game with all investigators at the Curiosity shop. Then each one of us gives all his money to the first player. After he buys an item, he gives all the money to the next one and so forth. The last one spreads the money again in the most desired way.


That doesn't work; purchasing items occurs during the Arkham Encounters phase, which is after the Movement phase.


I'd like to see why that doesn't work. Have you read what you've been citing?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
radicalizard wrote:
goodshepherd wrote:
radicalizard wrote:
Radulla wrote:
radicalizard wrote:
I think you can trade at any moment except during combat,


I believe your reading is correct; at least, it's how we play. I think the "before, during or after movement" is a clarification, since movement phase provides the most opportunities for trades.

The fact that trading is allowed in final combat, when there is no movement phase, seems to support this view.

In my view, the extreme flexibility of the trading rules is one of only two* instances where the rules favor the players, and it is best to use the spit out of that advantage.

*The other is timing. Always keep in mind that when two effects, from any source or sources, occur simultaneously, the order they are resolved in is always up to the first player.


We take this freedom, for example, to gather in the beginning of the game with all investigators at the Curiosity shop. Then each one of us gives all his money to the first player. After he buys an item, he gives all the money to the next one and so forth. The last one spreads the money again in the most desired way.


That doesn't work; purchasing items occurs during the Arkham Encounters phase, which is after the Movement phase.


I'd like to see why that doesn't work. Have you read what you've been citing?


I think it is clearer if we move this topic to another thread, as it is a different question...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't disagree with what has been said in preceding posts and my group plays in the manner described, it behoves me to point out that in http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/... the designer himself suggests a variant rule that would allow for having encounters at Locations at which a Gate is manifesting. I could see playing a house rule to allow for running off to the Location (perhaps searching for a much needed resource - some unstable Locations have the possibility of obtaining a Clue from Encounters) and then returning to the Gate to Seal it.

I'm not trying to muddy the waters, I just think that it's worth bearing in mind that even the designer says:
Quote:
Having fun playing Arkham Horror is as much about the creativity and imagination of the players as it is about the various encounters and battles within the game. Therefore, like most role-playing games, people should feel free to craft changes to the game to make it more enjoyable for their gaming group. This statement in no way means that the rules are incomplete, but rather that the rules are a sound basis for play that can be altered by consent of the players prior to starting to better meet the gaming style and experience level of the collective players.
So that while AH - because of its rules complexity - is prone to a degree of rules "dictatorialism", that's not how it's meant to be played. (I'm a rules dictator myself.)

Bottom line: if you think your game would be more fun (that shouldn't necessarily mean easier - many house rules seem to be aimed at nerfing the game), then you're absolutely in the clear to play it the way that you prefer; there's precedent for doing so if you feel the need.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.