GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,416 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Probably staring it right in the face rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
I have looked for 3 hours for a solution to this because only I can not make it through a first turn of an FFG game without a snag

Ok.

Solo game-2 Investigators

First player is Sister Mary

She is sitting in her starting location. I draw the initial Mythos card which places a gate in The Woods and Headline text that places 2 monsters into the only available location (a Street Location) she can move to.

Question #1: Can she pass on moving to avoid having to battle / evade the 2 monsters or is she required to move to that location during that turn?

Question #2: If I decide not to move her (provided that is permitted) and remain in the starting location do I follow the location text /draw an encounter card as though I had just moved there? Or do I do something else. Or nothing at all. And what happens if I want to pass on moving during the second turn. Is that permitted? If so, what actions are required.

Question #3: I’m guessing I know the answer to this but have found no evidence one way or the other. Since the Mythos card text required that I place 2 monsters in a street location do I also place a monster on the newly opened gate for a total of three monsters? Or do I only place the 2 on the street location? (I'm thinking that since the gate is the first item on the card it comes first and I would place the monster on the gate AND place the 2 monsters detailed in the headline text as the final item on the card).

Thanks in advance for any help. I know the answer is probably staring me right in the face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You dont have to move, you can just hang. Its actually kind of important sometimes.
2)You draw an encounter card and resolve just as though you had moved there. You never have to move if you dont want to. I play this game with people whos whole goal in life is to get a silver twilght lodge membership and then sit their for the rest of the game drawing cards.
3)The order on the mythos card is kind of confusing. First, you always place a monster on a gate opening (two monsters if playing with 5 or more people). Then those monsters, and any other monsters THAT ARE ALREADY ON THE BOARD move. Then you place a clue on the appropriate location. Then finally you place the monsters from the event into the streets, and they are not affected by the monster movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
1. First things first. A "location" does not refer to a street area. Don't refer to streets as locations or you'll confuse a lot of people (just call them streets). Locations only refer to the areas you have encounters in Arkham or they refer to an "Other world location". This is important casue some cards will say things like "remove all monsters in locations from the board" so monsters in the streets wouldn't be affected by this.

As for your question Sister Mary is not required to move away from the location she is currently in. How/where and how far she moves is up to you (and how many movement points she has) as long as an environment or encounter (ie an encounter that says move to the streets) isn't specifically affecting it.

2. You must have an encounter in any location you are in during the encounter phase. If the location has an alternate text you can have that instead of a random encounter. SM will be having a south church encounter until you move her away from there.

3. The monsters that appear because of the gate are independent of those that appear because of the headline. Place all 3 monsters (or 4 if you have 5+ players) but note that there is an order to carry out text on the card. If you only have room for 1 more monster in Arkham cause of the monster limit the monster on the gate is the one that appears while the other 2 are sent to the outskirts because the gate on the Mythos card is handled first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
On 2 is there the option of doing what's listed at the location or is it always a card draw?

And yeah, I was glad I have studied this one and did the 3000 part tutorial at Youtube. You virtually read the card in reverse order...might as well read the card upside down
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
Ok, Sister Mary is at the South Church location. The 2 monsters are on the Southside Street location, thus blocking here in.

The Mythos card drawn says:

Southside Strangler Suspected

Headline

However the press is mistaken, and the murders were caused by 2 monsters that are released into the Southside Streets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes sorry you can do what is listed at the location assuming you have the required stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
Yes, I see...I did it again....Southside STREET...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
Excellent.

This is the same kind of thing that happened when I got Elder Sign. I studied the rules and forums (here and FFG) and thought 'ok, I'm ready'...but there is no being ready for insanity...I got snagged on the first turn.

Thanks for the quick help. I usually resolve these with a bit of research but I am new to this beast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoganbball23 wrote:
3)The order on the mythos card is kind of confusing. First, you always place a monster on a gate opening (two monsters if playing with 5 or more people). Then those monsters, and any other monsters THAT ARE ALREADY ON THE BOARD move. Then you place a clue on the appropriate location. Then finally you place the monsters from the event into the streets, and they are not affected by the monster movement.

The basic order for resolving a Mythos is actually:

1. Open gate and spawn monsters
2. Place clue token
3. Move monsters
4. Resolve special text
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoganbball23 wrote:
1) You dont have to move, you can just hang. Its actually kind of important sometimes.
2)You draw an encounter card and resolve just as though you had moved there. You never have to move if you dont want to. I play this game with people whos whole goal in life is to get a silver twilght lodge membership and then sit their for the rest of the game drawing cards.
Have we met? Sounds like you must be a member of my gaming group. Do you also have some shopaholics in your group?
Quote:
3)The order on the mythos card is kind of confusing. First, you always place a monster on a gate opening (two monsters if playing with 5 or more people Investigators). Then those monsters, and any other monsters THAT ARE ALREADY ON THE BOARD move. Then you place a clue on the appropriate location. Then finally you place the monsters from the event into the streets, and they are not affected by the monster movement.

Or at least they aren't affected by the Monster movement this turn (and in some cases, they are never affected by Monster movement, you need to read the card carefully as Monsters from Rumours often don't move and aren't considered to be on the board)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
The funny thing is that you should see the binder I have prepared for this. After the first 3 times at ELDER SIGN I realized that rather than house ruling like crazy and making add-ons I would just buy the big daddy. And I was warned I was in for a challenge, which is what I wanted.

I downloaded the AH manual and every thing in English from BGG FILES and studied for 2 weeks. Then I got the base. 15 minutes after opening the box I logged in and ordered all 8 expansions.

That is why I was laughing like a mad man when on my first game-first turn-first player I was presented with something the equivalent to a chess game where all the opening moves would put you in check which made them all illegal.

Flow charts, summaries, help sheets, forums...3 hours...

Nothing like the human element to solve the issue in minutes. Community is everything in gaming and I realized that the challenge presented by AH would be no match for what I had found in these forums.

Many thanks to those who I see your name over and over again helping the new guy (or gal) get started. I spent a small fortune on the whole setup and have come to the conclusion it is worth twice as much.

I just wish the full video tutorial at YouTube was a little better played out. It was helpful in understanding the odd order of reading the cards in the proper sequence. I figured the monster at the gate I had correct, just wanted to make certain that I was correct in the '3 monsters at once' approach, which was confirmed. But that move / no move thing didn't seem to be covered anywhere.

So, today, a bit more preparation and the binder just got increased to a 4 inch to accommodate the printouts and I have devoted a computer to the game table so I can have all the material handy...including access to this site while I'm looking at the board.

I just hope one day to be able to help the new folk as well once I get my end together

Again, many thanks for now and down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.