GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,496 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shards of the Throne» Forums » Rules

Subject: Arborec Spy - Letani Miasmiala rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Binney
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
'Choose another player. If he chose a councilor you may kill this spy to control his councilor during voting'. Does this imply that the Arborec player now uses the controlled player's combined planetary influence value?

Edit: My interpretation is that the Arborec player acts as the targeted player for the voting round, and the Arborec do not get a vote.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Belyeu
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuna Dude wrote:
'Choose another player. If he chose a councilor you may kill this spy to control his councilor during voting'. Does this imply that the Arborec player now uses the controlled player's combined planetary influence value?

Edit: My interpretation is that the Arborec player acts as the targeted player for the voting round, and the Arborec do not get a vote.


From my understanding, correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BeerMe wrote:
Tuna Dude wrote:
'Choose another player. If he chose a councilor you may kill this spy to control his councilor during voting'. Does this imply that the Arborec player now uses the controlled player's combined planetary influence value?

Edit: My interpretation is that the Arborec player acts as the targeted player for the voting round, and the Arborec do not get a vote.


From my understanding, correct.


I concur.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Basse Nielsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
I agree. Which incidentally tends to make her quite horrid. As in bad. Not good for the Arborec player. Bad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Vlaeminck
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
What if I "take control" of for example a councillor with a special ability. Like for example the Winnu free cruiser one.

Is there any way the Arborec could be the receiver of said free cruiser? Or does controlling only mean the way he votes and none of the side effects.

(In CCG's when you take control of another player's card, it is usually treated as yours for the full duration of the control effect. However TI3 is not a CCG)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Avery
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You control their voting decision, making the council believe that they voted that way. Any benefits of that representative to their own race would still apply to their own race, otherwise your cover would be blown.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Stroom
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A follow-up:

Arborec uses Letani Miasmiala. Targets 2nd players' counsilor.
Hacan (3rd player) has used Huldran: When voting, each player who didn’t receive a Promissory Note must give you 1 Trade Good or abstain.

If Arborec wants to vote for the 2nd player, does the 2nd player have to pay the trade good? Does he have any say on this? Can Arborec pay himself if the targeted player does not have trade goods? Or is there no payment at all?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Avery
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For this example, player 2 must pay one trade good to player 3 as they voted. Although they were compelled to vote, this was not a result of accpting a promissory note, which is the only exception listed for Huldran's ability.

As for whether Arborec can pay the cost, yes and no. No, they can't pay directly as player 2 is the one who must pay. However, Arborec can spot that player 2 is unable to pay (and so can't vote) before the vote occurs. They can then give them one trade good to allow payment and therefor allow them to vote while controlled.

Trade goods can be given and received at any time.
Page 20, main TI3 rulebook wrote:
The Trade Goods Area
When a player receives a Trade Good counter,
it is placed in this area. A player may give
Trade Goods to other players at any time, or
use Trade Good as a substitute for spending
either one resource or one influence.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Stroom
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cordwangle wrote:
For this example, player 2 must pay one trade good to player 3 as they voted. Although they were compelled to vote, this was not a result of accpting a promissory note, which is the only exception listed for Huldran's ability.

As for whether Arborec can pay the cost, yes and no. No, they can't pay directly as player 2 is the one who must pay. However, Arborec can spot that player 2 is unable to pay (and so can't vote) before the vote occurs. They can then give them one trade good to allow payment and therefor allow them to vote while controlled.

Trade goods can be given and received at any time.
Page 20, main TI3 rulebook wrote:
The Trade Goods Area
When a player receives a Trade Good counter,
it is placed in this area. A player may give
Trade Goods to other players at any time, or
use Trade Good as a substitute for spending
either one resource or one influence.


Well, Player 2 still has an option to abstain and not give any trade goods. And Arborec might also want to vote that way in some cases (a representative which gets trade goods for each vote for "for" or something). Arborec is the one making a choice whether to spend a trade good or not IMO.

In the case where Arborec gives a trade good to player 2 and then vote... can Player 2 decline receiving the trade good? Just so that Arborec could not vote?

It seems quite overpowered that Arborec can waste trade goods belonging to someone else with this representative combo. Nekro virus has a similar representative so basically you would have to waste 2 trade goods in order to vote.

Also, since political cards can be spent as trade goods, can Arborec also gain access to those if the player does not have trade goods? I would say that this is only up to the player himself, not Arborec...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.