GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
So way back when I was a little kid(maybe like 3rd or 4th grade)I went and hung out with an older kid(maybe 15 or 16)down the street the rare times he would let me. He used to have this large table top game that he used to play with all the cool looking monsters and heroes and what not. I really did think it was the coolest thing ever but was never allowed to play because of my age.

Now I want to remedy that situation! However, my wife and I are really not fans of most really heavy games though. We tend to like lighter and mid box games like Small World, Summoner Wars, Tzaar or Ticket to Ride. In general we have also disliked most of the games we have played that take hours and hours and hours to get through or have 15 million pieces.

What I am looking for is something that can finish in an hour and a half to two hours(might do 3 for the right game but that's absolute max!). I want something where I level up characters, defeat monsters and find new equipment. Basically something that feels like an RPG on my PC/console in board game form. We would also like something that has some depth/strategy to it. It doesn't need to be complicated...but it needs to be more then Munchkin Quest which we played and loathed. Finally we only have 1 other friend that is interested in board games that we regularly play with so the game needs to play well with just 2 or 3 people.

I am looking at Legend of Drizzt(or the other 2 D&D board games that came before it)and Super Dungeon Explore at the moment. Someone else said that Arkham Horror may scratch the itch even if its not a perfect fits for my wants and despite the fact that it runs long it looks pretty cool.

So what do you guys recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want a mainly co-op game or do you want a 1 player versus everyone else style of game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Grumsh wrote:
Do you want a mainly co-op game or do you want a 1 player versus everyone else style of game?

Good question and to be honest not quite sure! We usually prefer competitive games like Summoner Wars or Small World, but I think for a game like this co op may be the better choice. I mean if you are playing such a long game its nice to be getting your ass handed to you together vs feeling like you are losing and can never really come back...yet you have 2 hours still to play ;(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Haggard
United States
New Whiteland
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Arkham might be a little heavier than what you are looking for.

The D&D games provide a very nice, but relatively light, dungeon crawl experience. While I have not played Super Dungeon Explore, the hobby aspect of putting the figures together may kill that experience. It will be a long process if you have never really done that sort of thing.

You might want to check out Dungeon Run. Again it is a game I have not played, so hopefully someone who has played it can give you a solid rundown. But from what I have read it should fill your requirement for play time and give you a semi-cooperative game that changes to a competitive game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Krause
United States
Dayton-ish
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MSIMagus wrote:
So way back when I was a little kid(maybe like 3rd or 4th grade)I went and hung out with an older kid(maybe 15 or 16)down the street the rare times he would let me. He used to have this large table top game that he used to play with all the cool looking monsters and heroes and what not. I really did think it was the coolest thing ever but was never allowed to play because of my age.

Now I want to remedy that situation! However, my wife and I are really not fans of most really heavy games though. We tend to like lighter and mid box games like Small World, Summoner Wars, Tzaar or Ticket to Ride. In general we have also disliked most of the games we have played that take hours and hours and hours to get through or have 15 million pieces.

What I am looking for is something that can finish in an hour and a half to two hours(might do 3 for the right game but that's absolute max!). I want something where I level up characters, defeat monsters and find new equipment. Basically something that feels like an RPG on my PC/console in board game form. We would also like something that has some depth/strategy to it. It doesn't need to be complicated...but it needs to be more then Munchkin Quest which we played and loathed. Finally we only have 1 other friend that is interested in board games that we regularly play with so the game needs to play well with just 2 or 3 people.

I am looking at Legend of Drizzt(or the other 2 D&D board games that came before it)and Super Dungeon Explore at the moment. Someone else said that Arkham Horror may scratch the itch even if its not a perfect fits for my wants and despite the fact that it runs long it looks pretty cool.

So what do you guys recommend?

I have played Drizzt a few times now in two player co-op games in the last couple of weeks. These games have taken from 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours depending on what adventure you choose which works great for me as a nice weekday evening sort of game. I think this has most everything that you are looking for with defeating monsters and leveling up. The exception being that instead of finding new weapons, you gain new powers (at least I haven't played a game where you find new weapons yet). You also have the capability to customize your character a little by choosing what powers your character has going into each game. It is a game chock full of miniatures, tokens and chits to hopefully help you heal from the game rejection of your childhood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your requirements I would go with Drizzt, I played Castle Ravonloft, It was not bad, but I did not care for it. Since Ravonloft, according to posters the system has been consistently improved. So, This system has most of what you are looking for in a game. However, the best game IMO that I have played which is similiar to a dungeon crawl is Gears of War, it is easy to learn, is excellent solo, great played cooperatively, smooth mechanics and is based on a video game. But, Gears of War does not have Level Up, or finding any treasures or equipment (except for picking up some weapons from defeated locusts) I don't play video games, After, playing Gears of War the Boardgame, I bought the video game, I prefer the Boardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Like others have mentioned, I would go with the LoD as well. I have all three and I honestly think that they would appeal to you and your group.

Take a peek at the videos from:

Black Belt Robert
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Or

Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb

They do walkthroughs and should give you a good idea of how the game plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should look into an actual miniatures game. Specifically a light, fast playing, miniatures games that use fewer figures, such as Song of Blades and Heroes. It allows for the fantasy feel, head to head competition, and visual appeal that you are going for. It plays in about an hour and offers excellent strategic choices. It is primarily for two players, but three player games work well. It uses any miniatures you might have and comes with stats for many common fantasy creatures. There is also a system for creating your own creatures. The PDF of the rules is $5, so even if you get one of the other games it is worth checking out to have another game to play with those figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the nomination of Dungeon Run as being a game that might be worth a look. Tom Vasel did a nice video review of it and I think it might fit your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darksome S. Brute
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider Catacombs. It's a dexterity-based dungeon crawl, where the heroes and monsters are represented by wooden discs and you flick them to attack each other. One person plays the evil Catacombs Lord and up to four players play the heroes. It's easy to learn and play (I play with my kids) and has monsters, equipment, etc. Lots of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks guys! I went ahead and picked up Legend of Drizzt! Hopefully it scratches the itch, if not I kept a few of these games listed in a text document as back up. If anyone feels they have any more good suggestions feel free to toss em out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good choice. The D&D games give me that 'quick fix' for a dungeon crawler...but ultimately if you want something more in depth you may wind up going the Descent route (2nd edition should be coming out soon.) or WarHammer Quest if you can afford it! (it's a collectors piece now.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackelford
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I think I am going to pick up a copy of Dungeon Runner as well though. We both love Summoner Wars so much and it looks really fun. I figure that Legend of Drizzt and Dungeon Runners can compliment each other very well since one of them is competitive and one is co op. Besides my collection is almost at 150, I need a game or two to put me over that benchmark anyways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MSIMagus wrote:
Grumsh wrote:

Good question and to be honest not quite sure! We usually prefer competitive games like Summoner Wars or Small World, but I think for a game like this co op may be the better choice. I mean if you are playing such a long game its nice to be getting your ass handed to you together vs feeling like you are losing and can never really come back...yet you have 2 hours still to play ;(

I must say that even though Arkham Horror is a co-op it can definitely still feel like your having your ass handed to you sometimes! I'd plug it for one of the best / toughest mechanisms for you vs the game. It can be really hard to beat sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.