Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game the Naalu Player activated Assembly and used Councilor S'Sruuk H'eyra, whose text reads: "If you vote the same as the current player, he must give you a Promissory Note (if he has not already this round)."

Since he was the current player, he argued that this Councilor allowed him to give HIMSELF his own Promissory Note (Support of the Throne, of course)! The rest of us objected that this was impossible, especially after he claimed that abstaining was in fact a way of voting. Since he'd set up his entire turn around this plan, though, and was behind in victory points, we let it through this one time.

It's my assumption that this was something the designers never anticipated happening, which is why there's nothing specifically about it. Thoughts, opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, someone got creative with the rules didn't they?

Without digging out the shards rulebook, I don't see how any player could give themselves a promissory note, that's just gaming the game IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Binney
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought about this one too. I think the common sense interpretation would be that you cannot give yourself promissory notes. Who would care about the Naalu supporting themselves for the throne anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While there's plenty of ambiguity in the rules, it's not fair to blame the designers for this one. Giving yourself a promissory note is obviously against the intent of the rules. It's ludicrous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here are the complete rules involving Promissory Notes:

During Political Intrigue, players have a chance to offer other
players
a Promissory Note. Each player may only offer one
Promissory Note per Political Card. If a player accepts a
Promissory Note, he is bound to vote as was agreed upon
with the player offering the Promissory Note. A player does
not reveal the Promissory Note to other players (although he
may talk about what he received).
Each Promissory Note has a binding favorfor the player
that offered the Note to fulfill. The favor must be fulfilled
by the offering player at any time the receiving player decides
to play the Promissory Note. Starting with the Speaker, each
player follows these steps to offer a Promissory Note:
1. The player may offer 1 Promissory Note facedown to
another player and ask him to vote a specific way for this
Political Card.
2. The receiving player looks at the Promissory Note
and either agrees to vote the specific way and keeps the
Promissory Note or refuses and returns the Promissory Note
to the offering player. Players may also make additional
agreements (including giving Trade Goods) along with the
giving of Promissory Notes (but verbal agreements are not
binding).

I see no possible way that can be interpreted to mean you can give them to yourself. This wasn't someone exploiting a loophole or an ambiguity in the rules; in my opinion the Naalu player was cheating, pure and simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Blackadder23 wrote:
While there's plenty of ambiguity in the rules, it's not fair to blame the designers for this one. Giving yourself a promissory note is obviously against the intent of the rules. It's ludicrous.

I agree. This player should be drug into the alley and caned on the thighs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On of the Xxcha Reps states "Gain +3 votes if the current player does not offer you a promissory note"

If the Xxcha is the current player and since he cannot give himself a PN - does he get the bonus votes? (It is the other way around here...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the type of play that if he were not a blood relative, he would not be invited back to play ever again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Binney
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
VolkoV wrote:
On of the Xxcha Reps states "Gain +3 votes if the current player does not offer you a promissory note"

If the Xxcha is the current player and since he cannot give himself a PN - does he get the bonus votes? (It is the other way around here...)

I'm sure the updated FAQ will come out clarifying these issues, but my impression is that these sort of abilities do not apply if you are the speaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuna Dude wrote:
VolkoV wrote:

I'm sure the updated FAQ will come out clarifying these issues, but my impression is that these sort of abilities do not apply if you are the speaker.

The Speaker is not necessarily the current player. When using Political, the Speaker is almost certainly another player, and when using Assembly, if the current player has a good PC they want to put in play, they'll usually give the Speaker to someone else (usually the person to their right so they get to pick second in the Strategy phase).

I do agree, though, that the ruling will probably be that representative abilities that refer to the "current player" are ignored if the player using the representative IS the current player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.