GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,889 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations» Forums » Rules

Subject: Suppression and evasion question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
Quick and simple question: When do you play suppression/evasion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:

suppresion:

when any of your aircraft get attacked by enemy , anyone in your strike group with eligible weapon (that can reach the attacking enemy) can do suppresion. Suppressed enemy attack will be cancelled but the enemy itself not destroyed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if your suppresion failed or you dont want to suppress , then the next step is the optional evasion step. evasion is optional. it will give you 2 dice roll enemy attack resolution. you can bypass evasion step and resolve enemy attack using only 1 dice roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
dprijadi wrote:
charlesting wrote:

suppresion:

when any of your aircraft get attacked by enemy , anyone in your strike group with eligible weapon (that can reach the attacking enemy) can do suppresion. Suppressed enemy attack will be cancelled but the enemy itself not destroyed

Let me try to get this right: When the pilot is fast, he takes the offensive, when he's slow, the enemy takes the offensive; and enemy attacks always occur during your defensive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have the game in front of me now, but here's how that part of the turn works:

d10-1 US Fast aircraft attack bandits/sites/target. Slow aircraft may attack in this phase if using situational awareness.

d10-2 Bandits and sites attack US aircraft.
1 Targeted aircraft may attempt to negate attack with ECM pod.
2 If ECM pod not equipped or if negation attack fails, any US aircraft with munition capable of hitting the attacking site/bandit may attempt to suppress.
3 If suppression failed or not possible, the target US aircraft may evade by rolling 2 dice and taking two stress (only take 1 stress if ECM pod equipped).
4 If US pilot chooses not to evade, only 1 die is rolled for attack.
5 Apply die result against bandit/site attack rating and resolve attack. Use lowest die result if evading.

d10-3 US Slow aircraft attack bandits/sites/targets. Fast aircraft may attack in this phase if using situational awareness.

Basically, the US aircraft have the opportunnity to attack during 2 phases, and the bandits & sites may attack once inbetween the 2 US phases.

I incorporated what Denny wrote above in my explanation. He is correct. You could see a situation where a US aircraft attacks during both US attack phases and attempts to suppress one or more attacks against US aircraft during the bandit/site attack phase. He'll go through his munitions pretty quick that way, but it'll happen.

Just remember, as Denny said, US aircraft only destroy enemy counters while after successfully attacking. During a successful suppression, they negate the attack at the expense of a munition without destroying the bandit/site.

Deciding whether to suppress or evade adds quite a bit of tension to a mission when you have fewer bombs and missiles than you want and you know a suppression attempt will cost you one without destroying an enemy counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
charlesting wrote:

suppresion:

Let me try to get this right: When the pilot is fast, he takes the offensive, when he's slow, the enemy takes the offensive; and enemy attacks always occur during your defensive?

fast pilot attack first, then enemy attack, then slow pilot attack.

exception to the rule:

- if your pilot use SA point (situational awareness) then you can make slow pilot attack first
- if you use night strike option then the order of attack sequence is randomized
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
dprijadi wrote:
charlesting wrote:
dprijadi wrote:
charlesting wrote:

suppresion:

fast pilot attack first, then enemy attack, then slow pilot attack.

exception to the rule:

- if your pilot use SA point (situational awareness) then you can make slow pilot attack first
- if you use night strike option then the order of attack sequence is
randomized

This one makes life so much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought using SA lets your pilot attack in both the fast and slow attack phases, basically getting two attacks that turn.

From the rulebook:
"Situational Awareness
A Slow Pilot can discard one of his Situational Awareness counters during the Fast Pilot Attack step to also Attack during the Fast step of the turn. The Pilot can still Attack during the Slow step of
the turn as normal.
A Fast Pilot can discard one of his Situational Awareness counters during the Slow Pilot Attack step to also Attack during the Slow step of the turn. The Pilot can still do this even if he Attacked during the Fast step of the turn.
Discarding a Situational Awareness counter only effects the Pilot’s Attack for the current turn.
A Pilot can only use his Situational Awareness counters to give himself extra Attacks. He cannot use them for other Pilots.
Discard the counter when you want the extra Attack to occur.
Remove all unused Situational Awareness counters from the Pilots at the end of each mission."

IMHO, this makes Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations too easy and seems a bit unfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
Also when you evade, and have an ECM pod equipped, it lowers the stress taken by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
I thought using SA lets your pilot attack in both the fast and slow attack phases, basically getting two attacks that turn.

From the rulebook:
"Situational Awareness
A Slow Pilot can discard one of his Situational Awareness counters during the Fast Pilot Attack step to also Attack during the Fast step of the turn. The Pilot can still Attack during the Slow step of
the turn as normal.
A Fast Pilot can discard one of his Situational Awareness counters during the Slow Pilot Attack step to also Attack during the Slow step of the turn. The Pilot can still do this even if he Attacked during the Fast step of the turn.
Discarding a Situational Awareness counter only effects the Pilot’s Attack for the current turn.
A Pilot can only use his Situational Awareness counters to give himself extra Attacks. He cannot use them for other Pilots.
Discard the counter when you want the extra Attack to occur.
Remove all unused Situational Awareness counters from the Pilots at the end of each mission."

IMHO, this makes Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations too easy and seems a bit unfair.

This is true, but I don't agree that it makes it too easy only cause they can only use them for themselves and they can get used up.

Also iirc, the flight leader is the exception and can use his SA for other pilots. (Don't have the manual near me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
shacky22 wrote:
Also iirc, the flight leader is the exception and can use his SA for other pilots. (Don't have the manual near me)

The E2C Hawkeye can also share SA with any pilot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
shacky22 wrote:

The E2C Hawkeye can also share SA with any pilot.

The flight leader can also share SA with other pilots flying the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Hampton
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
If suppression failed or not possible, the target US aircraft may evade by rolling 2 dice and taking two stress (only take 1 stress if ECM pod equipped)

So, you roll two dice for evasion. What are you rolling against?
Edit....
Ok, I'm rolling against the same numbers that I'd roll against if I chose not to evade except for the small price of two stress I add another die.
Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 If you choose not to evade, you roll one die against the attacking site/bandit's attack rating and resolve the attack (miss, damaged, destroyed).

d10-2 If you choose to evade, you roll two dice against the attacking site/bandit's attack rating, take two stress, choose the lowest die roll as the result of the enemy's attack, and resolve the attack (miss, damaged, destroyed). The stress from evasion is cumulative with any stress received from a damaged result.

If you have an ECM, everything in paragraph d10-2 is the same except you only take 1 stress as an evasion penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.