GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,948 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The Ares Project» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Burrowing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dillon Littlefield
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone used the burrowing tech cards for Xenos effectively? They seem expensive for what you get and generally not worth it unless you can use the special burrow attack card.

Any thoughts about burrow or deep strikes in general as far as strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not used burrowing, but I did try a deep strike strategy to see how it would play out. I had Kahoum and built only deep strike units. When you think it through, you would probably come to the same conclusion of loading up on deep striking units. So, my three Air Cav forces with about 10-12 units rode in with Ride of the Valkyries blazing, and I took him out for an insta-win.
I don't remember the details, but he had little to deal with my air units, which doomed him.
I was a bit surprised by the win, because of your attacking limitations, and your opponent's emergency defense. And this was just one of the ways this multi-faceted game played out that evening.

Side note-I have not figured out how to win with the bugs. They keep getting squished, and I have to scrape them off my opponent's shoe. The Iron Giant rush attack yielded a quick win though. I'm going to start keeping a log of outcomes in different matchups, that would be interesting to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now won with the bugs twice in a row. To win, you have to use the bugs versatility. Have counters to every type they have, and wait for battle to decide where to put them. If your on the attack you get to see his builds, and then you get to decide WHERE you want yours to go.
If your opponent is really concentrating on one type, or has the abililty to whip out a certain type, EVOLVE.
Last night, I was getting crushed, my opponent had all the anti-infantry he could dream of, and lots of air which I sucked against. In two plays, I changed the board. I first built a strong anti-air air (rippers). And then evolved one of my infantry to air units. It was a decent against armor, which was his other strength. Combined these two units could destroy most of his army, and did. It took till the end of the game, but I managed to destroy his base for the win.
I would suggest putting the breader brain in your hand at the beginning, that one extra egg per turn is AMAZING. Always put the queen ready, but don't pull her out to early, wait till it will either a) turn the tide or b) make the final crush.
Use your tunneling upgrades for the +1 init on your best units, and suddenly you find that you are ripping apart his army before he gets an attack back! (My two counter units I had last night destroyed his army before they fired a shot!)

In short, bugs are about versatility, the ability to adapt to conditions faster than your opponents, with cheap upgrades, and supreme control over the construction of units, they really can focus on finding the enemies weakness and exploiting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Littlefield
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This post is specifically about the tunneling gene (gain deep strike for 2 energy [aka: net cost of 3 cards under normal circumstances]) and deep strike in general. I don't think there's anything wrong with Xenos, nor do I have trouble using them effectively. The gene you mentioned is the adrenal gland which is on the same card.

What I'm asking: Is the tunneling gene worth it? And if so, under what circumstances?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dillosaur wrote:
This post is specifically about the tunneling gene (gain deep strike for 2 energy [aka: net cost of 3 cards under normal circumstances]) and deep strike in general. I don't think there's anything wrong with Xenos, nor do I have trouble using them effectively. The gene you mentioned is the adrenal gland which is on the same card.

What I'm asking: Is the tunneling gene worth it? And if so, under what circumstances?

Well, deep strike in general is useful if only to have to another potential arrow in your quiver to keep the enemy guessing. For example, Terrans have their nuke. You go into the game knowing they have that option, so their opponents are less likely to put all their resources into one building. The Terran doesn't have to use the nuke to have this effect; just the potential is enough.

If I may make a football analogy, even if Team A plays against Team B, which has a good passing game, Team A doesn't blitz every play. The threat of a running play catching them off guard is enough to make them hedge their bets. Similarly, to make the running play threat credible in order to keep pressure off their passing plays, Team B occasionally will call a running play, even if their passing game is better.

Tunneling is nice in that you don't have to power it until you use it. If you want, just play the card to the gene pool and let your opponent see it during construction. From then on, every attack he'll wonder if you're going to put it into play to get a surprise attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Littlefield
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I kind of forgot about the fact that you can leave it in your gene pool and, at will, use either the adrenaline gland or tunneling claws. The fact that you get to choose which gene you're using at the time of the battle does add validity to the ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.