Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Planescape
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am interested in getting a epic/complex longer game that is repayable and just outright awesome.

I have been hearing good things about both these games and I was wondering which one I should get?

PS (Also what about Dungeon Petz vs Chaos in the Old World???)

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both MK and DS, of course!

Dungeon Petz is getting good buzz (mine's on preorder), so I would say get that too. But I really didn't like COW. The cards that people can play change way to much with no advanced notice for my tastes. And I won my first and only game.

If you need to cut something else out, cut out something less essential, like food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Mage Knight but I recommend DS and CitOW unreservedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're all very different. What kind of game are you looking for?

Chaos in the Old World isn't long in comparison to the others you have here. So if long is a requirement, you can remove that one.

Of the other three, I've only played Dominant Species, which I really like. I have DP and MK preordered, so hopefully I'll be able to share more in less than a month--looks like DP is going to be delayed .

So, what do you want? Here's a breakdown:

Dominant Species - Direct conflict, area-control struggle, huge swings in power positioning, tense worker-placement round.

Make Knight - (reminder: I've not played this) Adventure-based game, driven by a deck-building element of card play, can be played solo, co-op, or competitive, fairly complex battle system

Dungeon Pets - Excellent theme on a Euro, worker-placement game, strong elements of economic-engine creation, cute and fluffy artwork.

Chaos in the Old World - Ameritrash/Euro hybrid, need exactly four players for it to shine (5 w/ expansion), plays quickly once you know the game.

I hope this helps. They're all so different that ultimately you have to decided what you want, not what we like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
I wasn't a fan of Mage Knight. Felt a lot like a computerized dungeon crawl, but you kept all the micromanagement. Also it doesn't have a lot of player interaction. On the other hand I do like Dominant Species a lot.

So it depends what you want, I like games that have a lot of player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominick Skabeikis
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One game to rule them all: Dominant Species!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species is one of my favorites, and mage knight doesn't excite me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, DS and CitOW are tried and true well-rated games. They are all about interaction/screwage between players.

MageKnight and Dungeon Petz are new (unreleased in the case of Petz)...they have time to fizzle out of the 'hotness'. Plus both seem pretty low in the interaction department.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.