Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Hymowitz
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a very good Tichu player. I know some of the strategy, but a lot of it is over my head. My most common mistake is forgetting that the Phoenix can be a wild card. I typically only play when my wife needs a some-multiple-of-four-th. But I do know that when five of my first eight cards are Dragon Phoenix Ace Ace King, I need to call Grand Tichu.

Ken
Jim Nichelle
Hymie

I picked up my last six cards, and had Dragon Phoenix Ace Ace King King Queen, along some assorted cards I don't remember. I got passed a third Ace by my partner and the Dog by Nichelle, who opened and wished for one of my Aces.

I don't remember the entire play-by-play, but with Drag-Phoe-Ace-Ace, I figured my best bet would be lots of single-card tricks. I led my low cards, Dragon'd the final Ace, won a trick with a surprisingly low card, and led my Kings and Queen to no resistance.

Soon, I was down to my last four cards, Phoenix-Ace-Ace-Dog. I'm very superstitious against leaving the Dog as my last card, and I figured I was well set to win whatever trick my partner would lead. So I threw the Dog, and sat with my Phoenix-Ace-Ace while Ken led ...

2 Pairs.

My jaw thunked on the table, and Jim started giggling. Nichelle had a higher two-pairs, we all passed, Nichelle led another set of 2 pairs, and I was trying to decide which closet I was going to stuff Ken's body into.

Fortunately, the next trick, Nichelle had to lead a pair. I won with the pair of Aces and led the Phoenix for my very first Grand Tichu.

Ken survived the evening, and might even be invited back some day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats – it's a great feeling, for sure. My first read-through I was confused why you were disappointed by Ken's response to your Dog. I misread "2 Pairs" as "a pair of 2".

The moment I re-read it, I realized.
What a great (and fortunate) end!

Best,
Tonman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In your partner's defense, 2 sequential pairs is usually a strong combination, especially late in the hand. I assume he had a weak hand otherwise, and was taking the opportunity to lead out a combination that would float before exiting back to you. It was bad luck that in fact it didn't float.

With 200 Grand Tichu points on the line, it was likely not worth the risk for him, but it wasn't a totally boneheaded play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Fuegi
United States
Framingham
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
In your partner's defense, 2 sequential pairs is usually a strong combination, especially late in the hand. I assume he had a weak hand otherwise, and was taking the opportunity to lead out a combination that would float before exiting back to you. It was bad luck that in fact it didn't float.

With 200 Grand Tichu points on the line, it was likely not worth the risk for him, but it wasn't a totally boneheaded play.

It depends on what the rest of his cards were whether it was a boneheaded play. Many players figure 'This will win most of the time and I have a lead so might as well get rid of it'. This is not good thinking - very shortsighted. Let us say this player also has a singleton 2 and a singleton 3 and some other cards. He can (and should) lead the 2 to partner's Grand. He will almost certainly however need ANOTHER lead later in the hand to get rid of the 3. At THAT point, he can play the sequential pairs - there is basically ZERO gain and some real risk in playing it now versus then - even if it wins it actually has some negatives. Otoh, if his hand is ONLY 2 7788 Q for example, it may be worth risking the 7788 if he thinks it has a good chance to win. If it does win, he then plays the 2 and has a reasonable chance to go out second with the Queen without ever winning another lead. I probably wouldn't take the risk given a Grand (depending on the score) but in this case it can be reasonable. MOST cases are the former case though and then it is not at all worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth noting that you (the grand caller) can mitigate the risk associated with your partner playing a non-single by using the dog earlier, when your opponents still have singles. If all you're going to do is singles and dog (which you should, of course), it's often better to dog first or at least not last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.