Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Pop the Pig is a silly children's game which offers goofy fun and a "lite" memory challenge for young players. It has been published by several companies and is designed to be enjoyed by 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 kids ages four and older. I paid three dollars for my copy of the Goliath version at the thrift store. The components are of the highest quality.

The publisher's suggested age range seems appropriate to me. The components include no written text so a session would only require an adult or older sibling to read the instructions to the children. The players will need to recognize numbers between 1 and 4 to enjoy Pop the Pig. Like all of the best games designed for kids, the rules are easy to grasp and can be explained in a minute or two.

The object of the game is a snout-stuffing challenge that requires the kids to insert plastic hamburgers into the pigs mouth. This is a big, beautiful pig about eight inches tall! The game includes a set of 16 color-coded sandwiches and a special color selection die. During a turn the child will roll the die to determine which color hamburger must be stuffed into the hungry hog. A single color result requires the kid to insert that type of hamburger. A multi-color result allows the child to select a color of his or her choice. The black X result permits the player to skip a turn, and this is a positive development.

A session ends when the rotund porker "pops" from eating too many burgers. His arms fly up in the air and his chef's jacket bursts open across his ample belly. Fun!!! The child who inserted the harmful hamburger is declared the loser of this round.

Each set of four hamburgers is numbered 1-2-3-4 and the numbers represent the number of times the pig's head must be pushed down after inserting the sandwich. Every press of the hog's cranium expands the pig's stomach, so high numbers need to be avoided. This is where the "lite" memory element of the game appears. The children should remember which numbers have previously appeared so they can make the best decision when the multiple color option result hits on the die roll. For example, if the #4 red has not appeared in the session, don't pick red as the choice!

The black X is the most coveted die roll because a player avoids mashing the pig's noggin. Later in the session rolling a hamburger color that has been exhausted because all four sandwiches have been stuffed into the pig results in a missed turn. This can make the game drag because there will be a series of unproductive die rolls.

This game will be completed in a few minutes. The whimsical tummy-popping pig is fun but only the youngest children will demand repeated sessions. I think the game would be more enjoyable with fewer than five players. My opponent liked the game because she collects pig figurines but this plastic porker was too silly to be worthy of her collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review Pete! It's actually quite timely considering I played this game last night with my gaming buddy's 3 year old daughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.