GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,527 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Drum Roll» Forums » Variants

Subject: Another variant for a tighter game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been true for many people, my games have ended where most player receive the end game bonuses and it is not infrequent that people have extra cubes.

I have been toying with the idea that each season the vote starts one phase earlier and there are one fewer total phases. So after 5 for first season with 7 max with penalty, after 4 for second with 6 max with penalty, and after 3 in third with 5 max with penalty.

Realizing that most proposals for variant meet with negative reactions from those who like the games as is, what effects do you think this would have on gameplay? Would it make earning the rewards more interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You usually need more money during the 3rd show to flip your performers, so if you limit the rounds before the 3rd show all players will spend most of their actions before the last show getting money. Not very interesting.

You can limit the money earned by Sell Tickets if you allow this action only once per phase (unless the players play all 7 rounds before each show).

And you can pay 1 coin to the bank for each opponent's action disk below yours in an action space (more competition, more money out of the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could keep the number of performers down so you don't need to spend so many actions selling tickets. Could also save money from earlier rounds...

And of course, could still have 5 phases in the third season if there are the votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose one could just have the vote after 4 phases in each year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking that some competition for money (besides competition for cubes) would make the game tighter:

During rounds 1-5 only the first column (2-5) of the Sell Tickets is available. The first player to choose the Sell Tickets action places his cube in one of these spaces (2-5) and gets the indicated money. This space is unavailable for the rest of the round. Only one Sell Tickets action is available per round to each player.

During rounds 6-7 only the second column (3-5) is available.

With this variant competition for money will add some interaction, less money will be in the game and you can't calculate exactly how much money you will be able to get - so this will also add some risk management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds fine to me but a bit more complicated than your above variant where you pay coins based on how many are already there (which sounds easier).

You would not propose both, would you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
That sounds fine to me but a bit more complicated than your above variant where you pay coins based on how many are already there (which sounds easier).

You would not propose both, would you?

Both variants together would remove a lot of money from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please remind me, on the variant for paying to place a disc based on how many are already there, that applies to every spot BUT selling tickets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
Please remind me, on the variant for paying to place a disc based on how many are already there, that applies to every spot BUT selling tickets?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.