7 Posts

Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mutiny with Fast Learner Glory cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Knox
msg tools
mb
In a recent game I had, Player A played Mutiny on me after a successful merchant raid. I paid the five gold to negate it then player B played Fast Learner to hit me again with the same Mutiny card. I took it but, I wonder if this was a proper use of the Fast Learner card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BalrogJDK wrote:
In a recent game I had, Player A played Mutiny on me after a successful merchant raid. I paid the five gold to negate it then player B played Fast Learner to hit me again with the same Mutiny card. I took it but, I wonder if this was a proper use of the Fast Learner card.

Beleive it or not I don't have a game near by at the moment so I can't check. But I think it's a fair play (even if the title of the Fast Learner card, suggests something else thematically).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Martin
Scotland
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played these cards on Sunday, and got the impression that you had "learnt" something from the opposition... If you've done something once already, I don't feel that you'd be "learning" it by doing it again.

Using a high fantasy analogy, I think of it like a reflection spell...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
spin_doctor wrote:
I played these cards on Sunday, and got the impression that you had "learnt" something from the opposition... If you've done something once already, I don't feel that you'd be "learning" it by doing it again.
Thematically it works - the learner doesn't necessarily have to be another player.

After one group within your crew threatens mutiny and gets paid off, another group within the crew "learns" that they could get paid extra if they threaten mutiny too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
"Mutiny" says: "Play immediately after a player earns...".

When using Glory cards you announce you are doing it and then others can too - and first then all cards are revealed (the way I have read the rules, at least). So the "Fast Learner" would have to be played after the initial round of Glory cards. Is that still "immediately after"?

If it is still okay to play it, you could actually end up killing a captain with it as he may only have the 12 gold from the raid or the sold goods. Also if he pays the 5 gold each time, as there are two "Mutiny" and one "Fast Learner" in the game.

- Either if he decides to roll leadership and fails - then pays 10 gold. "Fast learner" or the second "Mutiny" is then played in a new round of Glory cards. With only two gold left he rolls leadership - fails and are thus killed.

- or if the two "Mutiny" cards are played against him in the first Glory cards round he could end up paying 2x5 gold in that first round and then "Fast Learner" is played, so he is forced to make the leadership roll (with only 2 gold left) - and if failed he dies.

- or one "Mutiny" card, failed roll, pay 10 gold, second "Mutiny" is played and he is now forced to make the roll. This would be okay from the point that he is just too greedy - although the second "Mutiny" is (possibly) not played "immediately after".

Or does the "Fast Learner" gets included in the first round (meaning there never is a second Glory card round)? So that you would have to play it before the "Mutiny" targeted player decides A) or B) on the original card. Then he would know there will be two of them and he can then take the safe option and pay 2x5 gold.

Though I suppose this is also possible if a player just uses "Thievery" and the two "Mutiny" cards all in one go (I expect a player using Glory cards decides which one goes first?).

I know Christian already answered, but was this also considered?

And I know - some rather unlikely senarios, but still .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh

The OP said that Player A played the first card on him and then Player B played the 'fast learner' so it was another Captain that learnt he or she could cause trouble with the crew, thus setting off another round of money grabbing.

Capt A (to Crew): Yeah boys it's yours as much as his don't you know, ask him for some!

Crew: Yeah, Yeah, Capt where's our share?

Capt: He you go boys enjoy (thinks, lowly barstools, I'll hang 'em next chance I get!)

Capt B (to Crew): I agree with capt A, his right and your captain has sold you short! Ask for more boys!

Crew (Now quite drunk on rum): Yeah Yeah, Capt, we want more of a share!

Capt: Oh poops, look lads we've no money left, I can give you an iou!

The Crew hang the captain and sail off and get sunk by the next vessel they meet!

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.