GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Ora et Labora» Forums » General

Subject: False Lighthouse? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Occupy this building to take 3 coins and either a beer or a whiskey. Simple enough in gameplay terms.

But why is it called a *false* lighthouse?

The only answer which occurs to me is somewhat irreligious - that the monks have turned to wrecking, and the coins (and alcohol) is the salvage that they come by as a result. Not the most Christian of behaviour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There seem to be a few pirates next to the lighthouse in the image. So, it seems that this is not the real lighthouse, but a 'false' lighthouse, intended to lure ships into danger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, probably not the most Christian thing your monks could be doing. However, if you want to think better of them, you could imagine that it's a themed restaurant, and for working there as a busboy, they get 3 coins, and also get to take home some extra libations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or it's a lighthouse only used for wrecking pirate ships. When the good ships come by they leave it off, so the merchants and travelers don't crash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that the stories of false lights luring storm tossed ships onto the rocks are no more than absolute fiction. To be specific, the absolute fiction of Daphne Du Maurier’s Jamaica Inn which contains all the myths about wrecking as practiced in Cornwall which are now believed to be hard fact: false lights set to deceive the ships; victims struggling ashore being held under the water to drown, etc etc.

However, there is no hard evidence that any Cornish (or any UK based)wreckers ever deliberately set out to cause a wreck. There is plently of evidence of people plundering from ships that met their end on rocky shore every winter, but in all the court cases through the centuries of Cornishmen prosecuted for plunder, smuggling and theft, there isn't one single record of any who were accused of setting false lights.

In fact the presence of lights on the shore had the opposite effect. Ships saw lights and not knowing what they were would stay away knowing that it was shore and meant the en if they hit it. No sane captain would assume a light meant a safe harbour.

Lucky this is just a card from a board game and nothing to be taken too seriously huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cough
Settlers/Slaves
Cough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry O\'Neill
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw man! I really love the theme of this game but I hate the idea of building a false lighthouse to wreck ships! Why on earth did Rosenberg do that! Argh! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't build it, then. There are plenty of other things to build.

It needs to be built on a piece of coast. FWLIW, every time I buy coast I lose, so I'm unlikely to buy it again for that simple reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry O\'Neill
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can avoid using it then that's good news! Thanks! Still it annoys me though. I'm really sensitive to theme and it sometimes happens that a game feels tainted to me. Though here it's a minor thing of course - I'll be building it if I need to!

On seconds thoughts I can imagine why it was designed that way, "I need a coastal building that will provide the player with whiskey production. But what's whiskey got to do with the seaside? Oh I know - a false lighthouse!".

I wonder if I can think of an alternative... What about something to do with confiscating smugglers goods. Or smugglers feel convicted and turn in their goods and seek repentence at the monastry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raab
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
There were a lot of unscrupulous clergyman throughout history. The false lighthouse is 100% fitting in my view. Just look at the practice of indulgences for one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
agentzen wrote:
Or it's a lighthouse only used for wrecking pirate ships. When the good ships come by they leave it off, so the merchants and travelers don't crash.

What "good" ships, this is the irish coast in the 17th century. Probably 100% pirates & privateersarrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
False Lighthouse? More like False Head Cold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
terryoneill wrote:
Aw man! I really love the theme of this game but I hate the idea of building a false lighthouse to wreck ships! Why on earth did Rosenberg do that! Argh! soblue

A much more sensible and thematic solution is to regard it as a customs house. It was not uncommon for medieval monasteries to have the right to administer customs fees at nearby ports, and often they had separate quays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.