Subject: Got my Allied Walker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my Allied Walker today... and had a blast. My opponenet did not have the Axis version... So I basically enjoyed watching wave after wave of Zombie or Guerillas break upon my 7 Armor... only to then get Mowed... and I do mean Mowed down. Then when I cornered the last of his units, the back hatched opened, and in came Bazooka Joe with the BQQ squad...

Have not had that much fun playing the allies ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it you mean "Allied HEAVY Walker".

Which version did you use? Fireball or Punisher?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Went with the Fireball... I liked the Scout ability to get on the with the extra moves... and the Flame that has range... plus left me like 18 points towards my troop build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McFarland
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
I think the Fireball is going to be the popular choice for those reasons. Get your transported troops a bit farther with scout, good napalm range, and points cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick noob question... These walkers have interchangable tops, right? But do you have to commit to one version, because of eg. glueing things together, or can you switch easily between options?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like they are to powerful for their points cost to me, can't be much fun being on the receiving end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
Just a quick noob question... These walkers have interchangable tops, right? But do you have to commit to one version, because of eg. glueing things together, or can you switch easily between options?

With the allied heavy walkers, it seems like it's very easy to switch between models, just swap the main cannon, which doesn't need to be glued. With the axis is seems to be just a little bit more work, with the necessity of swapping the rear section and both "arms", though it doesn't seem like any of the pieces would need to be glued down.

And this is good, because there's no way I'm buying one of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
jtspecial wrote:

With the allied heavy walkers, it seems like it's very easy to switch between models, just swap the main cannon, which doesn't need to be glued. With the axis is seems to be just a little bit more work, with the necessity of swapping the rear section and both "arms", though it doesn't seem like any of the pieces would need to be glued down.

And this is good, because there's no way I'm buying one of each.

Cool, thanks!

From what you write, it doesn´t sound like top-swapping is easily done with the light and medium walkers...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, swapping the light walkers is very easy as well (again, allied a little bit easier than axis), nothing needs to be glued down. With the medium walkers it's a little trickier. The axis are no problem, it's all a matter of swapping the arms. But with the allies it's a bit problematic: The hot dog has the rear cannister, which needs to be glued to the turret, and none of the other models have it. The Steel Rain's rocket rack is also best glued to the turret, but that requires removing the .50 MG, which needs to be glued down for the other models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
No, swapping the light walkers is very easy as well (again, allied a little bit easier than axis), nothing needs to be glued down. With the medium walkers it's a little trickier. The axis are no problem, it's all a matter of swapping the arms. But with the allies it's a bit problematic: The hot dog has the rear cannister, which needs to be glued to the turret, and none of the other models have it. The Steel Rain's rocket rack is also best glued to the turret, but that requires removing the .50 MG, which needs to be glued down for the other models.

When you buy a medium Allied walker, they give you an extra turret. I beleive you are meant to swap the entire turret, not individual parts of it.

The only problem is that the medium walker box comes with a turret for the Steel Rain and one with the back canister for the Hot Dog. If you want a Mickey/Pounder, you get an extra canister on them, which is not a problem unless you are a purist.
Purists could put the back canister on magnets though. Then you can swap the turret and the back canister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the whole swapping thing is not really an issue, since I don't like to field more than one instance of the same type of unit in a game. So I have each walker permanently setup as a specific model, with all parts glued and painted a specific colour scheme.

The heavy walker is probably going to be the only exception, I'll only buy one for each faction and swap the weapons around to get both verisons in different matches. I just don't like the idea of spending 182 AP on just two units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers guys!

I´m expecting the original core game to arrive at my doorstep any day of the week, and it´s been a while since I was this excited about a new game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McFarland
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
Loophole Master wrote:
To me the whole swapping thing is not really an issue, since I don't like to field more than one instance of the same type of unit in a game. So I have each walker permanently setup as a specific model, with all parts glued and painted a specific colour scheme.

The heavy walker is probably going to be the only exception, I'll only buy one for each faction and swap the weapons around to get both verisons in different matches. I just don't like the idea of spending 182 AP on just two units.

I'm thinking Warfare will support 2 heavies better, so eventually I'll get a second one for that version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Buckingham
msg tools
mb
I just got my Allied Heavy Walker too. If your opponent doesn't have a hvy walker, do they even have a chance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steam_bucky wrote:
I just got my Allied Heavy Walker too. If your opponent doesn't have a hvy walker, do they even have a chance?

Sure. You could field 2 Steel Rains (plus more) for the price of an Axis heavy walker, and they can take out heavy walkers in a single shot with the petard mortar, or could work together and take it out with rockets pretty easily.

Heavy walkers are awesome beasts, but they are expensive, and with the right tactics (and a bit of luck) can be taken down quickly with a combination of smaller, cheaper units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Buckingham
msg tools
mb
steam_bucky wrote:

This was my thought too, as I had bought one myself. I have the standard core set + the the Allied Hvy walker and Axix Zombies and Apes and I have just played my first 6 games. 2 out of the 3 times it was fielded, it was reduced to molten slag, ( not without taking a few with it. The only battle it survived it, it had 1 hit left.

I found because of what it can do it attracts a lot of "attention", and it and its size makes it an easier target. I still love it. I used it well, but I can use it better. The claustrophobic maps of Blue Thunder aren't so good for the this unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.