Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent gaming session, I got Quarriors with the Rise of the Demons expansion to the table. We played twice and had very different levels of penetration on the new stuff, especially the Corrupted Quiddity dice.

In the first game, I dealt out the first four Creatures from the expansion cards to ensure that we got a good dose of new stuff. Then I dealt out the remaining three Creatures from the full deck (and got two more Corrupted versions, including the best version of the Demonic Overlord and the questionably useful Corrupted Primordial Ooze. I randomly dealt one version of the new spell, Corruption, and then dealt the other two spells normally from the rest of the deck.

We really only had one generator for Corrupted Quiddity on the table in this game - the Corrupted Witching Hag, which gives a Corrupted Quiddity die to the player who destroys her with an attack. We had the Corruption Charm, which attaches to a creature and is worth +1 Glory for each Corrupted Quiddity in other players used pools when scored.

Unfortunately, the Corrupted Quiddity was a non-starter in this game. Only a few Witching Hags were killed, so only a few of the dice made it into pools, and from there they were mostly a non-issue. Only one player was able to purchase a Demonic Overlord and it never hit the table as a creature. Because most of the abilities on the new creatures play off of the presence of Corrupted Quiddity, there wasn't a lot of action in the first game and it felt a lot like regular Quarriors.

The second game was a completely different story. We set aside the Creature and Spell cards used in the first game and then dealt randomly from all of the remaining cards. We got the Corrupted Warrior of the Quay, who lets you give an opponent a Corrupted Quiddity when he scores, and the Corrupted Questing Wizard, who has burst abilities that let you give an opponent a Corrupted Quiddity die when summoned or let you choose an opponent to lose 1 Glory. We also had the big whammy Corruption Spell that destroys all Creatures in play before being removed from the game (and it also gives its caster a Corrupted Quiddity). Additionally in the Spell pool we had the creature-killing version of the Death Spell. Finally, we had the Corrupted Quake Dragon, which gives any player whose creature it destroys a Corrupted Quiddity die.

With all of the generators for Corrupted Quiddity in the game, as well as two Creature-hate Spells, it was obvious that this game was going to be very different than the last one.

No surprise, the Questing Wizard and Warrior of the Quay, and the Corruption Spell, were emptied out fast. At one point in the game all four of us had readied Corruption Spells, and there were a couple of readied Death Spells in play as well. Several rounds of stone cold score stoppage went by before most of the Corruption Spells were out of the game. We had the version of the Death Dealer who scores when it kills another Creature, and he proved to be an MVP, since the ability to summon, attack and score before all of the Creature-killers could prevent it was invaluable.

The Corrupted Quiddity pool was empty for a lot of this game. Everyone had some in their pools, and we saw a lot of the triple-burst effect on those dice that add another one to the players pool.

The game ended up with all four of us within striking distance of the win (3-4 Glory needed). It was the first game of Quarriors I've ever played that ended because four Creature cards were emptied before a player hit the amount of Glory required to win.

Overall, these games showed that this expansion can change the base game of Quarriors by very little or a whole lot. Both games were fun, but the second game was nothing like any previous Quarriors match I've had - it was not only the longest game I've played, with a lot of Glory setback due to the Questing Wizard, but I also have never seen so many readied Spell dice in play. One player, at one point, had a Glory, Corruption and two Death Spells readied. This was very refreshing since, with the exception of just a few select Spells, most previous Quarriors games I've played have seen very little Spell play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek McKay
Azerbaijan
APO
msg tools
badge
Is it my turn? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! I plan to play my expansion this evening. Did you play with the regular rules(out of the box), or did you use the culling and two buy tweaks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used the regular rules. I haven't felt the need to use any modified rules yet with Quarriors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.