26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: You have 15 minutes to convice someone that board games are fun... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
I have a friend who has been swept into the geeky world of boardgames, but even though she's played most of the games I own with enthusiasm she won't play any games with just 2 people.

I think she'd be willing to play a quick game though, but it would have to be an instantly engaging, laugh-out-loud game that could be wrapped up quickly.

-2 player
-15 Minutes playtime
-Suitable for non-gamers, but still strategic

I was thinking about Light Speed or Mr. Jack Pocket. Any thoughts, citizens of BoardGameGeek?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Martian Dice ... strategic light (bright light). 10 minutes.

Hive ... cute bugs, easy setup, excellent play. 20 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JAB: Realtime Boxing
Pretty much that will win over most people and work in 15 minutes--however the boxing theme might turn her off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb

Dragonheart

Plays in about 15 minutes and has a nice little 'dragon' theme. Plays only with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silvertongue
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
winterplum wrote:

Dragonheart

Plays in about 15 minutes and has a nice little 'dragon' theme. Plays only with 2 players.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R-Eco and Armorica are fantastic light card games on the surface but can be played very strategically once you played a couple of times. Each game takes about 15 to 20 minutes, with practice even less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Crokinole

OK, it'll probably run you a few hundred bucks if you don't have a board already, but after introducing dozens of players to the game, I can safely say it is asked for every time a game for 2 or 4 is needed. Often it is played for hours as the only game that day, often it is the just wrap up and/or warmup game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gem thieves

Pretty easy and strategic for non-players people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tally Ho! also called Halali!. One of the player play hunters and lumberjacks and the other player play as foxes and bears. The hunter hunt the foxes and bears. The lumberjacks cut down trees. The bears tries to eat the hunters and lumberjacks.

Great little game with few rules, a lot of luck especially early in the game and yet strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van M.
Netherlands
Tilburg
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack Pocket is a nice game indeed. I like Lost Cities too. A round will take you 10 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hastings
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:

Martian Dice ... strategic light (bright light). 10 minutes.

Hive ... cute bugs, easy setup, excellent play. 20 minutes.

Hive is great, very bar (as in play on the bar) frendly and it gets people around you interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S G
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Micro Mutants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bandits, or Light Speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few games that can be joined in at pretty much any time, and take any number of people. Sneak one of them in your bag, and when you get a chance, suggest it as a two player while waiting for others to arrive. Once the idea that two player games can be fun is implanted, you can build from there. For example:
Ricochet Robot (Puzzle)
Loopin' Louis (dexterity)
Perudo (bluff)

That said, while I love the competition element of games, and enjoy a 2-player game in pretty much any gaming situation, Perhaps the competition element isnt as important to your friend as the story telling/social side of things; in which case side-tracking them into 2P games might be a non-starter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game maybe? You could even lure her in with the iOS version... it's worked for me a couple of times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Bit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, no love for JAB: Realtime Boxing? Most of the other games mentioned are not going to have any laughing out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Lost Cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw the title and imagined my 15 minutes would go something like...

"Ok, the name of the game is Brawl. It's a real time card game, but don't worry about that. Sit down there and look at this deck. This here is a Block and this is a Hit, note the colour.."

5 minutes to explain, 2 minutes to play, hours later you might get around to something else.

It's out of print, hard to find and kind of ugly - making a homemade PnP version is probably you only reliable way to get the cards (I did find a deck at a hobby store in Toronto... but the guy wandered off into the 'attic' for 45minutes before returning triumphantly with 2 dusty deck boxes so I wouldn't hold out too much hope).

If that's not your ticket (PnP / Finding hard to find games) then JAB is the nearest thing in print to Brawl. I've never played JAB but it looks fun, and the basic premise is the same (real time fighting themed card game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy vercruysse
Belgium
bredene
West Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Do you not see?
badge
That if you kill him with the pill from the till by making with it the drug in the jug, you need not light the candle with the handle on the gâteau from the château.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 hive
+1 jaipur
Logan stones
famiglia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious why she wouldn't play Dominion, Lost Cities, or Pandemic with 2 players. You own all three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
peakhope wrote:
Curious why she wouldn't play Dominion, Lost Cities, or Pandemic with 2 players. You own all three.

I may have botched up the gateway process with Catan. She really enjoyed the social elements of Catan and one day she wanted to play Settlers of Catan (Yes! The gateway process is working, only a few more steps before Puerto Rico and Power Grid and Twilight Imperium I thought to myself) but we didn't have anyone else, so we played using the official 2 player variant. It wasn't that much fun, and now she's gotten the idea that more people=more fun. She cites Catan as the example of why games aren't fun with only 2 people.

Lost Cities is short enough I'd like to try it, but since it's a strategic abstract it might fail to engage her. I think I only have 1 shot at this. Also I need an excuse to buy more games.

Candi wrote:

"Ok, the name of the game is Brawl. It's a real time card game, but don't worry about that. Sit down there and look at this deck. This here is a Block and this is a Hit, note the colour.."

5 minutes to explain, 2 minutes to play, hours later you might get around to something else.

A real time game might be the way to go. I'll look into printing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.