Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Thoughts on a Theme... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim §
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for some feedback on a game idea and themes that might make it better. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated!

I'm working on a game about resolving disputes. It's starting out as a 2-player game, each player having a game-provided character on opposite sides of a game-provided, narrative (i.e. dispute, such as a car accident, injury, or family dispute). The goal of the game is to have the highest Satisfaction score possible, and the players can decide whether this will be a cooperative or competitive goal. The characters will have different personalities (with different bonuses) and will each get different perspectives on the facts of the dispute, including secret knowledge. The game play would be each character, through direct negotiation (and/or litigation) and card play, trying to resolve the dispute in a way that will meet all of his/her goals and not suffer much or give away things that s/he values. The players are playing against the clock, and against (and cooperatively with) each other. The main focus is on player choice of strategies (e.g. negotiation, litigation, etc.) to meet their goals in the most personally satisfactory way.

Games that focus on lawyers and disputes, without exception it seems, focus on litigation, screwing over the enemy, and making the most money possible. I wanted this to be a different game.

All of that said: does this seem too real-life to play? Would people want to play a game about disputes that can or have happened in their own lives?

Finally, do you all have any ideas that may spruce up the game play without compromising the game itself?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Jim
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jimwithatwist wrote:
Games that focus on lawyers and disputes, without exception it seems, focus on litigation, screwing over the enemy, and making the most money possible. I wanted this to be a different game.


Well you could focus on mediation. It's a growing legal field. However that's only one step away from a lawyers focus.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. What about trying to mediate two countries away from a war that's about to ignite? That makes the situation serious while not being too close to something that most people would ever actually experience.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim §
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Billythehut wrote:
jimwithatwist wrote:
Games that focus on lawyers and disputes, without exception it seems, focus on litigation, screwing over the enemy, and making the most money possible. I wanted this to be a different game.


Well you could focus on mediation. It's a growing legal field. However that's only one step away from a lawyers focus.


Mephansteras wrote:
Hmmm. What about trying to mediate two countries away from a war that's about to ignite? That makes the situation serious while not being too close to something that most people would ever actually experience.


Mediation will be an option during the game, as will litigation and arbitration, but it will be up to the players to choose those options. I'm not too worried about that. And there will be lawyers, mediators, etc. that can help/hurt the characters with their dispute.

I want to be able to focus on interpersonal disputes, but that's not as sexy as conflicts between countries, war, or combat. Would people even like to play something with interpersonal disputes as a theme, or should I spice it up somehow (and I don't know how...)?

Of course, if this was Klingon conflict resolution, I wouldn't have that problem, but....

Any ideas, or should I just finish the game first and worry about this later...?

Jim
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the mechanics down first, then you can worry about the theme.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.