GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,232 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » General

Subject: Preserving The Box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

I could have sworn I saw a post or thread somewhere here or on SPM's FaceBook about preserving the SDE game box but for the life of me cant find it anywhere.

Has anyone looked into ways of preserving the box? I originally was going to transfer all the pieces into more of a "tackle box" kind of carrying case, but on second thought would love to be able to use the original box.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone tried coating or glossing the box?

P.S. Same question about the dungeon maps btw... was thinking of using a spray gloss to help protect them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bergman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Was probably me.

I unfolded the box, covered every exterior surface with clear contact paper (the sort used to preserve paperback books in libraries; that stuff has kept paperback books intact for the better part of 40 years!), then covered the edges with straight-up packing tape to keep them more durable. After that, I folded it together and put more packing tape around the edges and especially on the hinge of the actual box because it had already started to separate thanks to a cat stepping on the lid!

Most Walmarts will have the same stuff I use; it is usually in the kitchen counter area.

About the boards, I was more worried that they'd separate from the edges instead of surface damage, so I just did the edges up with tape; still, contact paper on that would work well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamfanboy wrote:
Was probably me.

I unfolded the box, covered every exterior surface with clear contact paper (the sort used to preserve paperback books in libraries; that stuff has kept paperback books intact for the better part of 40 years!), then covered the edges with straight-up packing tape to keep them more durable. After that, I folded it together and put more packing tape around the edges and especially on the hinge of the actual box because it had already started to separate thanks to a cat stepping on the lid!

Most Walmarts will have the same stuff I use; it is usually in the kitchen counter area.

About the boards, I was more worried that they'd separate from the edges instead of surface damage, so I just did the edges up with tape; still, contact paper on that would work well too.

Hrm, never thought of using that stuff for protecting textbooks!

Any thoughts on preserving the game board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
look for a signmaker near you ! he will have the suplies (&skills) to make the box and the tiles last for at least two lifes. i am talking about selfadhessive UV-blocking laminates which ar nomally used for solvent digital prints. there a several manufactureres like 3M, Avery, Orafol and others which offer the films i´m talking about - but these are rarely sold in shops. you even have the choice if you like a glossy or matt finish =)

sorry if my english is kind of awkward but it´s not my native language - if someone here needs more informations drop me a line.

and yeah, i´m a signmaker too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.