Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is it optional to place a cube after a siege? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Schiedler
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another rule clarification please:

Quote page 7:
"If the location that you were
attacking has a settler symbol in it then you must play one card
from your hand that has a settler symbol on it if you wish to place
one of your village cubes there . If the location does not have such
a symbol on it then you place one of your cubes in the location."

It seems optional to play a settlers card if there is a settlers symbol but not optional if there is no settlers symbol and that you must place a cube. We have been playing that it is always optional to play a cube.

Which is correct?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tajs Seelen
Netherlands
Etten-Leur
NB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it's optional.

Because if you read on it says :
If you do place a cube on the location then you take the location card for that location from your available deck and place it on top your
discard pile. This does not count as one of your actions. If you do not place a cube then the location becomes neutral. Note that the
losing player retains the location card for the location, although it
is now useless.

So it looks like you've got a choice here
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schiedler
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I agree that this rule makes it seem like placing a cube is optional in all circumstances, particularly after reading your clarification.

But it still logically stands that you may have the choice ONLY if the location has a settlers symbol and then if and only if you choose to not place a cube because of the settlers symbol then you do not control the location card....

I do agree that the intention SEEMS TO BE that it is always optional.

But I remain in some doubt.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tajs Seelen
Netherlands
Etten-Leur
NB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When in doubt go with your gut feeling
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schiedler
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream. Mmmmm Mmmm ... never a mistake!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You place a cube to settle, automatically, if there is no settle symbol. If there is a settler symbol, you have the choice/requirement (playing that additional card) of settling after siege. The reason the language, for taking the card, seems optional, for settling, is that it covers both situations. That is of settling blank and settler locations.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus G
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Ken. I believe the intent was not to make placing a cube optional, but that the rule needs to cover the case where a cube is placed, and when a cube is not placed (because no settler card is available).

Based on this I would say placing the cube is not optional.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tajs Seelen
Netherlands
Etten-Leur
NB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting it that way. I'll have to say that the cube placing after a siege is indeed an automatic action. And so I do agree.

As a matter of fact, I can't remember me not placing a cube after a siege when there is no settlers symbol.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eschiedler wrote:
Another rule clarification please:

Quote page 7:
"If the location that you were
attacking has a settler symbol in it then you must play one card
from your hand that has a settler symbol on it if you wish to place
one of your village cubes there
. If the location does not have such
a symbol on it then you place one of your cubes in the location."


I'd say its optional
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tajs wrote:
I would say it's optional.

Because if you read on it says :
If you do place a cube on the location then you take the location card for that location from your available deck and place it on top your
discard pile. This does not count as one of your actions. If you do not place a cube then the location becomes neutral. Note that the
losing player retains the location card for the location, although it
is now useless.

So it looks like you've got a choice here


What he says.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drxcm wrote:
eschiedler wrote:
Another rule clarification please:

Quote page 7:
"If the location that you were
attacking has a settler symbol in it then you must play one card
from your hand that has a settler symbol on it if you wish to place
one of your village cubes there
. If the location does not have such
a symbol on it then you place one of your cubes in the location."


I'd say its optional


Optional for settler areas, automatic for non-settler. You are actually agreeing, in disagreeing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Scheuermann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This was answered in the FAQ by Martin Wallace:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/70326/a-few-acres-of-snow-...

(last entry on sieges topic)

It IS optional.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.