Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

So a few days ago I was internally reviewing several ways to resolve random challenges.

What do you think of using the game '21' or Blackjack to influence various challenges/combats etc. in a game?

http://www.blackjacktactics.com/blackjack/odds/

Blackjack would allow luck and some skill. Some mechanics can be tweaked such as bonuses for hitting 21 in a challenge and heavy penalties for 'busting'. Minor penalties for not making the target number, such as 16 or another number depending on desired complexity. Other ways to influence luck and skill are when to shuffle and the number of decks used.

Some other thoughts:
In solitaire games, since there isn't another player to influence actions, we're either playing a 'puzzle' game or resorting to chits or dice to resolve and create random events.

Chits are completely random. Additional chits can be added to the mix at certain points of the game but I still feel that it's almost too random.
Dice are great and always my first choice for their familiarity and flexibility.

Do you feel 21 is too complex to resolve events?
Can you see it used as a combat mechanic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it could be neat - especially if there were some "deckbuiling" aspects added so that the players were given ways to influence what types of chits are in the pool to be pulled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking the bonus for making 21 would be to keep the final card. Possibly, the cards would have description on them.

For example, if I'm making a combat game, the cards may have pictures and/or descriptions to add flavor. If the card that makes 21 is a knee strike then the player maybe gets to keep that card for use as a possible switchout in a later round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Williamson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mb

You might want to have a look at Maria and its predecessor Friedrich. Combat is resolved with a version of card play "chicken".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You really need to check out Cold War: CIA vs KGB.

And yes, I think a blackjack system could be fun. Pushing your luck is always fun and tense, plus you can manage it somewhat (play conservatively or aggressively, card count, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ravager wrote:

What do you think of using the game '21' or Blackjack to influence various challenges/combats etc. in a game?
Do you feel 21 is too complex to resolve events?
Can you see it used as a combat mechanic?

Oh definitely.

Deadlands: Doomtown
-- this is a CCG that uses the same set of cards as Dudes, Deeds, Actions, Goods ... and in a shootout, the combat mechanic is "who has the higher poker hand" ... all using the same deck of cards.

Deadlands
-- this is the RPG that the CCG is based on. It uses a standard poker deck, but doesn't really use poker hands except for certain special "magic" powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome.

I logged on tonight for the sole purpose of posting this very question.

I saw a man teaching his son Blackjack in a coffee shop today and thought it would be cool to base a themed game around the mechanics.
Hopefully I can resurrect this necro thread to get some good ideas.

A guy I work with (not a gamer per se) had a good idea.
The theme could be political. House is a superpower: they can't ever lose.
Players are all smaller countries / factions that try to get in, complete some sort of objective, get out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.