Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JJ Belyeu
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello to everyone and welcome to BeerMe's Drunk & Disorderly Tournament of Champions for Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition!

This will be a six-part sessions report dealing with all of the races in the current TI3 universe (official only, no homemade races). It will take place over four 3-player games, one 4-player game, and a final 6-player game using the five previous winning races and the one "Wild Card" race. All non-championship matches are completely random and all will use the same variants to help create a more uniform system.

Here is the catch though. I will be the only player in every game. I originally did this to help familiarize myself more with the game and it's unique rogue's gallery, but I realized maybe others could benefit from this too, and decided to do a series of session reports to give my insight into what I have learned over the course of these games.

If you are looking for the other games in my Tournament of Champions, please follow the links below (they will be updated as I submit more sessions):

Game 1: Nekro vs. Muatt vs. Creuss (Here)
Game 2: Hacan vs. Saar vs. Xxcha (Here)
Game 3: Winnu vs. Arborec vs. Naalu (Here)
Game 4: Letnev vs. Jol-Nar vs. Yin
Game 5: Sol vs. Mentak vs. L1z1x vs. Yssaril (COMING SOON!)

CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: N'Orr vs. ??? vs. ??? vs. ??? vs. ??? vs. ???

Or you can find all my Solo Session Reports at my geeklist:

BeerMe's Drunk & Disorderly Solo Session Reports

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One final note, here are the variants I will be using for every game, including the championship.

Shattered Empire Strategy Cards (minus a couple...see below)
Trade III
Assembly II
Flagships
Mechanized Units
Racial Technologies
Wormhole Nexus
Distant Suns
Final Frontier
Artifacts (I use all 8 artifact tokens, instead of 1 per player)
Refineries/Colonies
Space Mines
Tactical Retreats
Preliminary Objectives
Mecatol Rex Custodians
Shock Troops
Sabotage Runs

I am not using Leaders or Voice of the Coucil because I don't like them. So there.

Science, Religion, and Military might collide to decide the fate of the galaxy.

It's Game 4, Jol-Nar vs. Yin vs. Letnev!

Round 1 Strategy Phase

Jol-Nar (Purple) Starting Preliminary = "I control at least 4 planets with Technology Specialties."
Yin (Gray) Starting Preliminary = "I control 2 systems adjacent to Mecatol Rex."
Letnev (Black) Starting Preliminary = "I control a planet controlled by another player this round."

*Jol-Nar - Leadership (1), Production II (4)
Yin - Assembly II (3), Warfare II (6)
Letnev - Trade III (5), Bureaucracy (8)

* = Speaker Token

Jol-Nar Round 1 Summary

Jol-Nar use Round 1 to spread to all 3 neighboring systems, capturing Arinam, Meer, and Xxehan. But fails to take over Dal Bootha due to a Hostage Situation, and finds 2 Yin Settlers on Mehar Xull. Jol-Nar makes good use of Production II, managing to build a Carrier, 2 Ground Forces (GF), and 2 Mech Units. And using Leadership, adds 3 Command Counters (CC) to its available resources. This turns out to be a very slow start for a top-tier race, and forces them to move a little slower than originally planned.

Yin Round 1 Summary

The Yin have a very, very unfortunate first round. When moving into Sumerian/Arcturus, Radiation kills their only GF attempting to land on Arcturus. Using the High Alert token in their Home System, Yin moves 1 Carrier, 3 Fighters, and 3 GF to Tar'mann trying to make up for the loss on Arcturus. More trouble follows though, when 3 Hostile Locals wipe out the 3 landing Yin GF. They get a little lucky when exploring Lirta IV/ Bereg though, and find Native Intelligence about Industrex and a Technological Society there. Lirta IV proves to be the real trouble when it reveals an "A" wormhole. Yin now stares down the barrel of a gun named the Barony of Letnev. Having lost a lot of units from Distant Suns Counters, the Yin will have a real uphill battle should the Letnev invade.

Letnev Round 1 Summary

Another slow start from a race you wouldn't expect it from. The Distant Suns counters have not been nice to any of the races this game so far, but Letnev catches a break when they find a Hidden Factory on Starpoint. New Albion proves too much for 1 GF with its Biohazard, and Letnev is forced to settle for only 2 planets this round. With Trade III they manage to recruit R'Una and with Bureaucracy reveal "I have won a Space battle against at least 3 opposing ships." Otherwise, they move several ships into orbit around Tempesta and end the round very disappointed and hard-up for resources.

NOTE: In the round photo for this, I forgot to move the Mech unit onto Lesab.

Round 1 Status Phase

No race qualifies for either revealed objective, the starting objective being "I controlled Mecatol Rex for the Strategy and Action phase this round."

Round 2 Strategy Phase

*Jol-Nar - Leadership (1), Bureaucracy (8)
Yin - Diplomacy II (2), Technology II (7) +2 Bonus (2CC)
Letnev - Assembly II (3), Warfare II (6)

Jol-Nar Round 2 Summary

Jol-Nar picks up steam this round and captures Mehar Xull from the 2 Settlers, discovers the Lazax Armory on Mirage, and is able to scout Garbozia to find Hostile Locals. On top of that, they use Bureaucracy to reveal and qualify for "I control 5 planets outside my Home System." Now controlling 8 planets, with a 9th very close, and within striking distance of Mecatol Rex, Jol-Nar is starting to look like the upper echelon race that it is. It should also be noted that Jol-Nar researched Deep Space Cannon and War Suns this round when Yin uses Technology II

Yin Round 2 Summary

The Yin explode onto the board this turn, taking Tar'mann with Diplomacy II and recovering the Imperial Datacache, conquering Vefut II, and moving into the empty space directly below Mecatol Rex. The Final Frontier token here provides a "B" wormhole, and another access point to the Wormhole Nexus. Yin also builds 2 Space Docks and a Refinery in Lirta/Bereg IV, providing a much needed potential defense point against possible incursions from Letnev. Yin still has a lot of ground to make up for though, and needs to be taking Industrex, Arcturus, and Saudor before they lose the resource race.

Letnev Round 2 Summary

Turn 1, Letnev triggers Assembly II and takes the Speaker Token. Jol-Nar is chosen to resolve a political card and chooses "Prophecy of Ixth". During the political debates though, the Yin representative Talla Darator is assassinated by the Barony of Letnev, and Jol-Nar handily receives the prophecy. Using the High Alert Token in Starpoint/New Albion, Letnev moves 2 Dreadnoughts, 2 Cruisers, and R'Una into the "A" Wormhole system and finds another "A" Wormhole (For the purposes of simplicity, the token was removed since the system already contained a duplicate wormhole). Letnev acquires New Albion this round, by shifting 2 GF from Starpoint, and builds a Space Dock on Starpoint during the same activation. Tempesta produces a free Cruiser for Letnev also when it is finally taken over, and Letnev ends the round in a very challenging position in regards to the Yin. Both races are gearing up, and with Jol-Nar still ouch of reach, it's only a matter of time before someone pulls the trigger.

Round 2 Status Phase

Jol-Nar lose Prophecy of Ixth for not building Fighters this Round.

Jol-Nar and Yin both complete their Preliminary Objectives. Jol-Nar receives "Industrial" Secret Objective. Yin receives "Forceful" Secret Objective.

Round 3 Strategy Phase

*Letnev - Leadership (1), Technology II (7)
Yin - Diplomacy II (2), Bureaucracy (8)
Jol-Nar - Production II (4), Trade III (5) +2 bonus (2 Trade Goods (TG))

Letnev Round 3 Summary

Letnev spends the first two turns this Round triggering it's Strategy Cards (SC). First receiving XRD Transports and Stasis Capsules from Technology II, then gaining 3 CC from Leadership. Too bad for Letnev though, when this actually helps the Jol-Nar more then it helps them. Turn 3 is spent arming up around Starpoint/New Albion, and Turn 4 is when all Hell breaks lose. Letnev activates Bereg/Lirta IV and moves in 2 Dreadnoughts, 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier, 1 Mech, and R'Una. Yin PDS fire scores a hit on one of the Dreadnoughts, but the Letnev Destroyer gets revenge when it's Anti-Fighter Barrage scores 2 hits to the Yin Fighters. Letnev easily takes Bereg with it's Mech Unit, and destroys the PDS and Space Dock located there.

Yin Round 3 Summary

Yin spends the first couple turns of this Round taking planets. Arcturus and Saudor are added to the Brotherhood this Round, but it comes at a cost. Yin used Diplomacy II to annex Saudor and this is a huge mistake, as you can tell from the above Letnev summary. One good thing that comes from it though, is they manage to find the Ancient Shipwreck and gain 1 VP. The turn before Letnev attacks, Yin does build some defenses though, in the form of 2 PDS and 2 Fighters. After the battle, Yin triggers Bureaucracy and reveals "I now spend 10 Influence" and qualifies for "I control 5 planets outside my Home System". Yin also takes Industrex and reveals Technological Society, receiving Transfabrication. Through the use of the Action Card "Rally the People" Yin also gets to build 1 free Dreadnought in it's Home System

Jol-Nar Round 3 Summary

Jol-Nar take over Garbozia this Round, finding a Dummy Artifact, and only take 2 other actions this Round. With Production II though, they build a Dreadnought and the J.N.S Hylarim in their Home System. Otherwise being left alone from the fighting, Jol-Nar passes without achieving too much this Round.

Round 3 Status Phase

Letnev completes their Preliminary Objective and receives "Threatening" Secret Objective.

Letnev also qualifies for "I control 5 planets ouside my Home System."

Round 4 Strategy Phase

*Letnev - Leadership (1), Production II (4)
Yin - Diplomacy II (2), Assembly II (3) +1 Bonus (CC)
Jol-Nar - Warfare II (6), Bureaucracy (8) +1 Bonus (TG)

Letnev Round 4 Summary

Letnev is now is a very powerful position on the board, but losing in the points. To try to make up for this, Letnev spends the turn taking over Lirta IV, and building a Space Dock on Bereg, leaving Yin in a hard spot. Letnev also moves into Vega Minor/Major. They successfully take Minor, but Major supports an Automated Defense System that shoots down a Carrier and the Mech Unit it was transporting and a Cruiser. Later, Letnev recoupes their losses by using Production II to build 4 Cruisers and 2 Mechs on Starpoint. To finish the round, they take over Gral and Centauri, finally completing the conquest of their local planets.

Yin Round 4 Summary

Yin starts the round by triggering Assembly II, and takes the Speaker Token. Choosing Jol-Nar yet again, they play "Free Trade" and chaos ensues. Imar Yissadar from Yin avenges Talla Darator, and suicide bombs Captain Lassir. Again, Jol-Nar is free to do what it likes with the political agenda, passing it yet again. Then, Yin uses Diplomacy II to protect their Home System. Letnev annexes Vega Major and finds the Precursor Fossil. Afterward, Yin ends their Round without doing much. They have stalled the Letnev onslaught for one more Round, but who knows how long they can hold this off without a fight.

Jol-Nar Round 4 Summary

Using Warfare II, the Jol-Nar start the Round off by placing the High Alery Token into their Home System. Using the next movement, Jol-Nar easily moves into Mecatol Rex and captures it, losing only 1 GF in the process. Next, Jol-Nar uses Bureaucracy to reveal "I control Mecatol Rex" but instead uses it to qualify for "I now spend 10 Influence". This sets them up for another Public Objective at the end of next round as long as they can stay the tide of opponents at Mecatol Rex. Reinforcing Garbozia, Jol-Nar builds a Space Dock there and moves in 2 Dreadnoughts plus High Alert Token into orbit.

Round 4 Status Phase

Jol-Nar qualifies for "I control Mecatol Rex" and finishes the turn with 5 VP.

Round 5 Strategy Phase

*Yin - Leadership (1), Production II (4)
Letnev - Warfare II (6), Bureaucracy (8)
Jol-nar - Trade III (5), Assembly (3) +1 Bonus (TG)

Round 5 Summary

Round 5 is short but sweet. Lasting only 4 turns, a lot of combat happens very quickly. Starting with Yin pushing back into Bereg/Lirta IV using 3 Dreadnoughts, 1 Cruiser, 2 Carriers, 3 Fighters, and 2 GF. Letnev responds by using the action card "Target their Flagship" choosing 1 of their own Dreadnoughts and firing on the Yin Carrier transporting the 2 GF. The shot misses, followed by Letnev missing with its Anti-Fighter Barrage as well. This battle is the first time I've seen a Mercenary make such a huge impact on a battle. R'Una, over the course of 4 rounds of combat, negates 5 hits made by the Yin (cancelling 4 and dodging 1). Although the Letnev eventually loses this fight, they severely cripple the Yin fleet.

Meanwhile, Jol-Nar is making it's move to win the game. Playing Assembly II, they take the Speaker Token and choose Yin to resolve the political agenda "New Constitution". Letnev manages to assassinate the last Yin representative, and Jol-Nar wins the vote again, choosing not to discard a law.

Now, Letnev comes back to the fight in Bereg/Lirta IV and brings 3 Cruisers, 1 Carrier, and 2 Mechs. In the first round of combat, out of 9 dice rolled, 7 dice roll a 10! Only the Yin carrier misses and when the dust clears only 1 Yin Dreadnought is left standing, still damaged from when Yin moved into the system.

At this point though, Jol-Nar builds it's third Space Dock on Mecatol Rex, and gets it's fifth Dreadnought on the board. From here, all races pass due to imminent Jol-Nar victory (they qualify for 1 Public Objective and their Secret Objective this round, plus have first pick of SC next turn to take Bureaucracy). I should also mention that Letnev used Bureaucracy this turn and revealed "I have 3 Technologies in the same color" which Jol-Nar can qualify for next round.

Jol-Nar handily win the game with only a single round of player to player combat!

Final Score

Jol-Nar - 9
Yin - 5
Letnev - 3

Afterthoughts

To anyone who thinks this game needs to be won by force, here is the perfect example of what sitting out of the fighting can do for you. Jol-Nar only fought 2 Yin Settlers and the Mecatol Custodians for the entire game and dominated their opponents. That being said, both Letnev and Yin were seriously hindered by the amount of combat that went on and should have probably attacked Jol-Nar near the games end. Also, the constant assassinations during political agendas left Jol-Nar in complete control of the Galactic Coucil. And being able to pass or fail whatever it saw fit really helped them.

The thing that really was a game changer for this game though was the "A" Wormhole on Bereg/Lirta IV. Had that been ANYTHING else, this would have been a much different game. Letnev also having such combat oriented objective cards and abilities didn't help the Yin either. Having those two be so close and easily accessable to one another, and having Jol-Nar so far away, really secured the game.

Thoughts on Jol-Nar

I've already said this several times in my session report, but these reptilian aquanauts really are a fantastic race. Their racial abilities combined with the Technology II SC makes it nearly impossible to stop them from winning a tech race. Even the -1 to all combat rolls is soon overshadowed by all the bonuses they receives from Technology Cards. This is the third time I've played as the Jol-Nar, and I have to say they are one of the best races in the game. Opponents of the Jol-Nar need to shut them down quickly. Given the chance to thrive, like in this game, they can run away with a booming economy, massive fleets, and advanced Technology. On top of all this, the newest expansion gives the Jol-Nar a VERY powerful Flagship, and some great representatives.

Thoughts on Yin

This was my first game with them and it probably wasn't the best representation of their abilities. Being caught up in the firefight with Letnev, they didn't get much time to shine. And although their abilities are combat related, they aren't great abilities. The "switch resource/influence" ability is useful, but not great, since you shouldn't come to rely on it to make up for terrible planets you may have acquire. The "steal a GF" is probably their best ability, and in games with few GF, they can take planets without even fighting. Their flagship is unique to say the least but useful might be a stretch. Just like the Winnu from my last session report, I can't help but feel like the Yin are simply a middle of the pack race.

Thoughts on Letnev

The Barony has been since 1st Edition (I think) and its easy to see why. With the new additions of Flagships, Racial Technologies, and Representatives, they have only gotten stronger. With that out of the way, the Letnev still aren't the AMAZING race they could be. They have the military might, but also require a very strong economy engine to back them up, especially if they want to take advantage of their abilities. This game could have easily gone to them had they taken over the planets in their local systems faster, and pushed into Jol-Nar space instead of Yin. Again, the wormhole in Bereg/Lirta IV really changed the aspect of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Letnev in the hands of an experienced player are a fantastic race, on Par with Mindnet and Yssaril IMHO.

They have a crazy economy and are good in a battle as well. They start strong and only get stronger.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Belyeu
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:
Letnev in the hands of an experienced player are a fantastic race, on Par with Mindnet and Yssaril IMHO.

They have a crazy economy and are good in a battle as well. They start strong and only get stronger.

-M

I agree completely that the Letnev can be a force to be reconned with. This game was a bad example of their potential and like I said, I should have taken their local planets more quickly and started attacking the Jol-Nar. The "A" wormhole was just too darn tempting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report!

It seems to me that Jol Nar won because (a) lots of objectives came out that don't require any interaction, (b) the other races squabbled amongst themselves and lost sight of the real threat.

Jol Nar had a pretty good run with objectives. Their prelim was ideal for them. They got the totally lame "5 planets" objective which should be removed from the game. 3 Techs in the same colour is also very easy for Jol Nar (I also remove that from my games).

With two objectives centered on MR, the other two races really should have known better than to let Jol Nar hold MR so easily.

Also, I can't see Jol Nar's 9 VPs. Here is what I can see from the report:

Prelim:
I control at least 4 planets with Technology Specialties

Public:

I controlled Mecatol Rex for the Strategy and Action phase this round
I control 5 planets outside my Home System
I now spend 10 Influence
I control Mecatol Rex
I have 3 Technologies in the same color

Secret:

Industrial

That only makes 8 VPs. What was the ninth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Belyeu
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnclark wrote:
Nice report!

It seems to me that Jol Nar won because (a) lots of objectives came out that don't require any interaction, (b) the other races squabbled amongst themselves and lost sight of the real threat.

Jol Nar had a pretty good run with objectives. Their prelim was ideal for them. They got the totally lame "5 planets" objective which should be removed from the game. 3 Techs in the same colour is also very easy for Jol Nar (I also remove that from my games).

With two objectives centered on MR, the other two races really should have known better than to let Jol Nar hold MR so easily.

Also, I can't see Jol Nar's 9 VPs. Here is what I can see from the report:

Prelim:
I control at least 4 planets with Technology Specialties

Public:

I controlled Mecatol Rex for the Strategy and Action phase this round
I control 5 planets outside my Home System
I now spend 10 Influence
I control Mecatol Rex
I have 3 Technologies in the same color

Secret:

Industrial

That only makes 8 VPs. What was the ninth?

Pretty sure they had an artifact in there somewhere, but I didn't re-read the report to double check. I was kind of drunk when typing this up, so I may have not mentioned something. I know when I actually played the game, they hit 9.

EDIT: Yes, they indeed control Lazax Armory in a couple of the photos and in the sumary report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.