Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Kerry
United States
North Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has long been a game I've been very interested in, but from what I've read it seems very unlikely to get a reprint due to cost/licensing reasons.

Given this, it seems like Kickstarter would be a perfect way for FFG to ensure that a reprint would work. They can figure out how much it will cost to produce the game, set the price point accordingly so they make a profit, and only produce the game if it meets a funding level that guarantees a worthwhile return. Kickstarter would take the guess work out of trying to figure out if a reprint would be successful...if the interest isn't there, it won't get funded, if it is, FFG makes some $$$ and we the players get a great game back in stock.

How's that sound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Smith
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't feel entirely comfortable with the idea of one of the biggest companies in the industry using a site primarily designed to allow individuals and smaller companies to get their projects off the ground.

FFG have plenty of budget, infrastructure and experience in the industry to work these things out for themselves so, to be honest, they should do that and leave Kickstarter for those that actually need its help.

Its effectiveness as a platform can only be diluted if it ends up being a way for existing companies to minimize their risk, whilst the projects that need the help are that much harder to find amongst the 'premium' products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
line0042 wrote:
Given this, it seems like Kickstarter would be a perfect way for FFG to ensure that a reprint would work.

First: what rights do FFG own? The original publication was a licence to Kosmos and FFG, with Kosmos in first place. Because of either time or going out of print, do FFG still have any rights? If so do they have any independent from Kosmos? What about rights to the artwork? (The game is not economically reprint able without those.)

Is it worth an established company like FFG getting involved in a Kickstarter project? If they were to go down that route that would say that they didn't have the confidence in large enough sales. But Kickstarter wouldn't be free, there would still be time and effort to invest to make the idea go. Would the company be better off spending that time and effort elsewhere?

Note that I do not know the answer to any of the above questions. But they need to all have the right answer before you can even start asking if this is a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Established companies should stay OFF Kickstarter. They have the web presence and infrastructure to create their own p500-similar system. GMT did it back when they were nearly out of business, so FFG with their super slick site can certainly do it, if that's what they want to do (though I doubt that's in their plans)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.