Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: New to AH, need some general pointers on rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Random Chance
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Though I've read the rules, I'd feel that warm n' fuzzy if someone would confirm what I interpret as correct. Please be forgiving if this had been brought up many times before.

The game starts by drawing a Mythos card. Since the first player ends by drawing a Mythos card again - the team will experience two Mythos draws before the second player makes his/her first move? Correct?

From the Outer Worlds I get Lost in Space and Time. Upon my return, I choose the location with the gate I originated from. Is this treated no differently as if I walked in from the street? I get to jump into the Other Worlds on my next turn?

I end my movement in a location with a monster I choose not to combat. I must pass an evade check. Upon my next turn, if the monster does not move, I will need to evade again to leave. If correct, under what strategy would I ever choose to end my movement with a monster (without combat)?

Given a Blessing (or curse) as a result of an encounter. Will I roll, checking if I must discard the beginning of my next turn? Meaning is it possible to be given a blessing without having the chance to use it?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomChance wrote:
Though I've read the rules, I'd feel that warm n' fuzzy if someone would confirm what I interpret as correct. Please be forgiving if this had been brought up many times before.

The game starts by drawing a Mythos card. Since the first player ends by drawing a Mythos card again - the team will experience two Mythos draws before the second player makes his/her first move? Correct?

Incorrect, you only draw 1 mythos card every round, after both players have performed all the phases.

Quote:
From the Outer Worlds I get Lost in Space and Time. Upon my return, I choose the location with the gate I originated from. Is this treated no differently as if I walked in from the street? I get to jump into the Other Worlds on my next turn?

Correct and note that going through the gate is not optional but mandatory if you are on it in the Arkham Encounter phase.

Quote:
I end my movement in a location with a monster I choose not to combat. I must pass an evade check. Upon my next turn, if the monster does not move, I will need to evade again to leave. If correct, under what strategy would I ever choose to end my movement with a monster (without combat)?

You are correct, you might wish to end movement with a monster if you wanted to encounter the location, such as by going through a gate.

Quote:
Given a Blessing (or curse) as a result of an encounter. Will I roll, checking if I must discard the beginning of my next turn? Meaning is it possible to be given a blessing without having the chance to use it?

No you don't roll for the blessing on the first upkeep phase after you get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
RandomChance wrote:

Incorrect, you only draw 1 mythos card every round, after both players have performed all the phases.

Also, all players perform each phase before moving to the next one. Everyone has an upkeep phase, then each player moves, then each player has an Arkham encounter (if in Arkham), then an other world encounter (if in another world), and finally the first player draws a Mythos card.

Quote:
Quote:

Correct and note that going through the gate is not optional but mandatory if you are on it in the Arkham Encounter phase.

You would get to move into the other worlds on the same turn. You return from Lost in Time and Space on the Upkeep phase, move into the gate on your Move phase, and have an encounter on the Other World phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomChance wrote:

The game starts by drawing a Mythos card. Since the first player ends by drawing a Mythos card again - the team will experience two Mythos draws before the second player makes his/her first move? Correct?[/q\

No, every player has a turn during the upkeep, movement and encounter phases. So every player has upkeep, once that is done every player has movement, for the players in Arkham there is an Arkham encounter and in the Other World encounter phase the players in an other world have an encounter there.

[q="RandomChance"]From the Outer Worlds I get Lost in Space and Time. Upon my return, I choose the location with the gate I originated from. Is this treated no differently as if I walked in from the street? I get to jump into the Other Worlds on my next turn?

No, normally once you have visited the two spaces in the other world, you return to a gate to that other world on your next movement phase. Only in rare circumstances you'll be lost in time and space. If you return to Arkham, you get an explored marker and during the Arkham encounter phase you have the opportunity to close that gate.

RandomChance wrote:

If a monster is on the same spot as an investigator, he never moves regardless of the symbol on the mythos card. If you pass an evade check, you are allowed to continue your movement and you can immediately continue. If you start your movement on a place with a monster and you have succesfully evaded it, then you can still do all your movement. But you always have to either evade or do a horror check and start a fight.

RandomChance wrote:

Thank you.

I'm quite sure that on the first turn after you receive your blessing, you don't have to roll. Somebody has to confirm this though, as I don't have the game anywhere near and it is some time ago that I played it.

I hope this helped, and feel free to ask more questions! Have fun in Arkham!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Chance
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

I'm not too ashamed to admit whistle that I played it wrong in my first few rounds.

This is what happens when you get brainwashed playing Castle Ravenloft rules.

Everyone upkeeps, then everyone moves, then everyone resolves Arkham encounters, so forth. Ok, I wont' repeat that mistake.

Let me ask about how the game kicks off another way.

Game Setup #14: Draw and Resolve Mythos card (Then start Phase I)

I have 4 players A (first player), B, C, D.
After each completes Phase IV: Other World Encounters, Player A (only) will draw and resolve Mythos Card before the First Player token is moved to Player "B".

Therefore two Mythos cards are drawn before player "B" opportunity to draw his?

Thanks for being patient with a new player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomChance wrote:

I'm not too ashamed to admit whistle that I played it wrong in my first few rounds.

This is what happens when you get brainwashed playing Castle Ravenloft rules.

Everyone upkeeps, then everyone moves, then everyone resolves Arkham encounters, so forth. Ok, I wont' repeat that mistake.

Let me ask about how the game kicks off another way.

Game Setup #14: Draw and Resolve Mythos card (Then start Phase I)

I have 4 players A (first player), B, C, D.
After each completes Phase IV: Other World Encounters, Player A (only) will draw and resolve Mythos Card before the First Player token is moved to Player "B".

Therefore two Mythos cards are drawn before player "B" opportunity to draw his?

Thanks for being patient with a new player.

You are correct. The last step of setup is to draw a Mythos; this seeds the game with an open Gate, some Monsters (or a Monster if you have fewer than 5 Investigators) and generally makes Arkham an uncomfortable place to be from the get go. Then at the end of the first round you get a second Mythos to really get things going. All this before the First Player Token (or as we call it "The Elephant" - you have to have played a lot of 1853, so don't worry) gets passed on and round two starts with player B as the elephant First Player.

What's crazy about this - and I love the way it just piles on the pressure straight out the gate [sic] - is that in a 7-Investigator game you are now just a bit of bad luck away from losing at the start of player B's Mythos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Also this may help a bit (I hope):-

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/605472/a-newbie-faq-21-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomChance wrote:

It's safe to bet that no one has ever played this game correctly the first few times. Too much to remember. Hell, it's been years for me, just a few more years games and I think I'll have it right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
DaveD wrote:
RandomChance wrote:

Also, all players perform each phase before moving to the next one. Everyone has an upkeep phase, then each player moves, then each player has an Arkham encounter (if in Arkham), then an other world encounter (if in another world), and finally the first player draws a Mythos card.

Quote:
Quote:

You would get to move into the other worlds on the same turn. You return from Lost in Time and Space on the Upkeep phase, move into the gate on your Move phase, and have an encounter on the Other World phase.

Good explanation, but I thinks it's slightly inaccurate. Moving through Gates is during the Arkham Encounter Phase. Technically, the Gate has obscured the location, so the location is not accessible. So, your "location encounter" is to be drawn through the Gate. That's why the Other World Encounters are technically a separate phase after the Arkham Encounters. It's also why you need to deal with any monsters at the Gate location before being drawn through the gate. Monster interaction (combat or evasion) occurs during the Movement Phase. If you evade or defeat the "gate guardians" during Movement, you continue by being drawn through the gate in the Arkham Encounter phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danwojciechowski wrote:
anoirtrou wrote:
DaveD wrote:
RandomChance wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Good explanation, but I thinks it's slightly inaccurate. Moving through Gates is during the Arkham Encounter Phase. Technically, the Gate has obscured the location, so the location is not accessible. So, your "location encounter" is to be drawn through the Gate. That's why the Other World Encounters are technically a separate phase after the Arkham Encounters. It's also why you need to deal with any monsters at the Gate location before being drawn through the gate. Monster interaction (combat or evasion) occurs during the Movement Phase. If you evade or defeat the "gate guardians" during Movement, you continue by being drawn through the gate in the Arkham Encounter phase.

But if a Mythos card spawns a gate and monster on an Investigator, the Investigator is sucked through the gate before he has to fight the monster.

Then if the monster is still there when you come out the same gate, you resolve the gate closing before the monster correct?

I believe they are confirmed by this link to a revised rule FAQ.
http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/...

This happened on my first game.. a stationary ghost spawned with a gate so when I came out, I didn't know what to do first... fight or close the gate.. hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dkyzar wrote:
But if a Mythos card spawns a gate and monster on an Investigator, the Investigator is sucked through the gate before he has to fight the monster.

Then if the monster is still there when you come out the same gate, you resolve the gate closing before the monster correct?

This happened on my first game.. a stationary ghost spawned with a gate so when I came out, I didn't know what to do first... fight or close the gate.. hehe.

Follow the phases. You return from the Other Worlds to Arkham during Phase 2. Phase 2 is also when you deal with Monsters on the board. Phase 3 is the Arkham Encounter phase. Since Gates replace locations, you close gates during Phase 3 then.

So Monsters are dealt with before attempting to close gates. The exception to this is you have one turn am amnesty. If you return to Arkham in Phase 2, you may skip monsters this time only and have a shot at closing the gate in Phase 3 unimpeded. But next turn (if you fail to close the gate upon your return or if you return in Phase 4 or 5), you will then deal with monsters before getting another shot at the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lim
Singapore
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
check out the reformatted rule guide by UniversalHead (its much more logical than the rulebook)

http://www.headlesshollow.com/freebies_games.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
dkyzar wrote:

Follow the phases. You return from the Other Worlds to Arkham during Phase 2. Phase 2 is also when you deal with Monsters on the board. Phase 3 is the Arkham Encounter phase. Since Gates replace locations, you close gates during Phase 3 then.

So Monsters are dealt with before attempting to close gates. The exception to this is you have one turn am amnesty. If you return to Arkham in Phase 2, you may skip monsters this time only and have a shot at closing the gate in Phase 3 unimpeded. But next turn (if you fail to close the gate upon your return or if you return in Phase 4 or 5), you will then deal with monsters before getting another shot at the gate.

Ok, thanks for the clarification, but I guess I don't understand the one turn amnesty. Is this granted by a special ability or item?

Also, thanks Afian for the rule sheets.

OH.. and while I am thinking about it.. here is a quote "clarifying" some core game rules..

Q: Why is an investigator delayed when a gate opens
up in their location, but not delayed if he enters the
gate normally?
A: If the investigator was not delayed by a gate opening
up in his location, he would be able to get through the
Other World having only one Other World Encounter
rather than two.

Does this mean that after moving into a gate normally, you don't have an encounter on the first half of the Outer World?
Following the phases, moving into a gate would be an Arkham Movement. Then the next phase includes the Outer World encounters.. same next turn yes? Sorry if it's obvious...

EDIT: Reading the other posts re: extra OW encounters now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkyzar wrote:

Ok, thanks for the clarification, but I guess I don't understand the one turn amnesty. Is this granted by a special ability or item?

Nope... pg. 18 of the rulebook...

MONSTERS GUARDING GATES
During the turn he returns to Arkham from an Other
World, an investigator does not have to evade or fight
any monsters in the gate’s location. This rule only
applies during the turn he returns to Arkham; in subse-
quent turns, if the investigator remains in the location,
he must evade or fight any monsters there as normal.

Quote:

OH.. and while I am thinking about it.. here is a quote "clarifying" some core game rules..

gate normally?
rather than two.

Does this mean that after moving into a gate normally, you don't have an encounter on the first half of the Outer World?
Following the phases, moving into a gate would be an Arkham Movement. Then the next phase includes the Outer World encounters.. same next turn yes? Sorry if it's obvious...

That "clarification" has spread untold confusion...

You are correct. Follow the phases... if you are in the Other Worlds for one Other Worlds Encounter Phase, have one Encounter. If you are there for fifteen Other Worlds Encounter Phases, have fifteen... the "goal" of two encounters per visit is not a rule, just a benchmark used in the game's design.

If it is Other Worlds Encounter Phase, all investigators in one of the Other Worlds have an encounter, whether they are delayed or not. Follow the phases and do not overthink things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dkyzar wrote:

I'll be honest, I don't recall where it came from - I believe clarification, perhaps in the FAQ. But it is an automatic pass for everyone each time they return to a gate during Phase 2. No special items or ability is needed.

Quote:

gate normally?
rather than two.

This is an oft mis-quoted clarification because of the "would be able" clause.

Again, follow the phases. You move during phase 2 but get drawn through gates in Phase 3. Phase 4 is distinct for this reason. So if you purposely go into an open gate you move to the gate in Phase 2, move through in Phase 3, and have your first encounter in teh first half of the space during Phase 4.

What this FAQ entry is telling you is if a gate unexpectedly opens on you in Phase 5 (sending you to the first half), you wouldn't get a chance to have an encounter in Phase 4 (in the first half because you are now in the 2nd half), before first moving in Phase 2. So when a gate unexpectedly opens on you, you become delayed.

What this does is prevent you from advancing in Phase 2 so that you still remain in the same place for you first encounter. So move through in Phase 5 but get delayed. Stand up in Phase 2 but remain in the same location because you were delayed. Then have your first encounter as normal in the first half of the OW in Phase 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Chance
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like to share that I finished my game. This was the first game in almost a year and ony the third overall.

I played alone with 4 investigators. I had the Headless Shollow 6.4 printed out. Its a big help with rules, (Thanks for the latest 6.8 link!)

One of my common mistakes is mixing Arkham encounters with Other Worlds. I don't think I ripped a hole in the space-time-continuum but I do try to keep to the rules. There's something about me getting into the rhythm that I fail to distinguish the two.

Without looking, I showed my 5 yo. daughter the AO to choose one for me. Shuffling one after another she made her decision solely from the artwork. She chose the one who brought a suffering winter to Arkham.

My investigators were:
Kate (Winslet) Winthrop: Her contributions were being stuck in the Science Building accumulating clues while Cultists (toughness + 2)were chanting outside in the streets. She wasn't strong enough to fight them. But she made friends of an ally after a brutal game of arm wrestling. Eventually a hail of bullets cleared the streets and Kate made it to the Silver Twilight Lodge and became a member. She had nothing better to do since a pair of monsters camped outside the doors again. Collecting more clues (over 10) she took part in a ceremony and successfully closed a gate of her choosing. Since she didn't really closed the gate on her own, I decided she could not keep the gate as a trophy. Her special powers I called the "Winthrop Lottery" paid off once late in the game and kept the lodge brothers and sisters safe. Kate would step out into the streets only for the second time to sacrifice 3 spells for a Rumor.

Carolyn Fern: Had a spell to redraw an Encounter card at the expense of 1 Sanity Point. Great for her, she's head shrink. She would close 3 gates without any clues and quickly became the Deputy of Arkham. She was always proud of herself and it showed with her fine clothing. Carolyn had no trouble making it through the Other Worlds and saved a Gate Trophy for her friends. She would finish the night at the Hospital, the Patrol Wagon parked outside.

Vincent Lee: Armed with a machine gun, he made monster house calls throughout the evening. Clearing the streets twice for Kate, he put down an awful rumor before racing to the Other Worlds for his first and last time to bring peace to Arkham.

Darrell Simmons: Unemployed (since I never remembered to collect his retainer!) he gathered clues throughout Arkham's East and Rivertown. His luck always paid off and even found a friend. He bought a .45 handgun as a gift for Kate but never got a chance to see her again and tell her how great she looked through his lens. Darrell did venture into the Other Worlds twice but forgot to take any pictures!

Its a great game once you get into as a living story and getting the rules right helps. This was just the base game. Now onto Base + Miskatonic expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomChance wrote:
...she took part in a ceremony and successfully closed a gate of her choosing. Since she didn't really closed the gate on her own, I decided she could not keep the gate as a trophy.

I think you cheated yourself there; the encounter reads "If you pass, close one gate of your choice.". I would even allow her to seal such a gate, since the rules read "If an investigator successfully closes a gate, he may immediately spend five Clue tokens to permanently seal
it." I don't think the different method of closure makes a difference. The Tome, De Vermiis Mysteriis, from the Dunwich expansion, also closes a gate at which the Investigator is not present, and specifically states no sealing is allowed; it does not mention trophies.

Other opinions? Am I wrong here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.