Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've not been playing board games for very long, only around 6 months, but I really took to it like a duck to water.

Naturally I didn't want to stop with just playing games and I've started developing my own game! It's really started as a germ of an idea, but the core mechanics are now down.

Without spoiling too much at its core is a worker placement game, with a bit of base building. However complicating things are inventions of evil machines which can speed up your domination of the world and special agents that can come and sabotage your base! Ironically if you could capture one of these bondesque goodies then some wonderful death laser could net you even more points towards ultimate victory!

I'm really posting here in part to gauge people's reactions to the theme and the ideas behind it, however i'm also interested in what cool ideas anyone might have for the evil inventions or evil tactics that the geniuses might play!

For example some of the inventions i've come up with are as follows:

Mr Fluffy: An evil cat that ups your victory points when extorting from the world

The Laser Death Chair: Used by the evil genius to disect a no good secret agent

Henchmen headgear (Think Jaws): Used to pimp out one of your minion meeples getting more resources.

Shrink ray: Some events would be to destroy famous landmarks this would let you shrink it down and hold it in your underground lair.

I'd really love more ideas from other fans of kitsch spy thrillers

The other area I'm looking for a little inspiration on is the Manical Machinations cards. These are a resource your evil genius can choose to take as an alternative to invading other geniuses or inventing new traps, obviously without knowledge of the mechanics of the game might make this hard but themed things that you could do or play on other evil geniuses to do would be what i'm after, my current ideas are along the lines of the following:

Insane Laughter: Play when extorting the world to add 5 evil points (victory points)

Excessive Monologuing: Play when another evil genius attempts to sacrafice an agent of good, allowing them to escape (denying them the victory points)

Insane theories: Useable as any of the key mad idea resources that are required for inventions

Henchman: A permenant minion who stays in the base and is useable in some extra actions.

So yeah, any feedback on this would be really appreciated, and if you have any cool ideas you saw in spy movies or thought you'd love to have seen in spy movies let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
A game seldom starts with the theme. A game starts with the mechanics. A theme may be used to inspire mechanics, but in this stage going into details of the name of a cat is not important.

Would people like the theme? That depends on the game. This would not be the first Evil Genius game; several exist already. So the theme may work. But it all depends on the game behind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all about theme, but appreciate that without solid mechanics behind it you haven't got a game at all.

The mechanics of the game are quite fleshed out however, the turn consists of three phases, first cards are placed on a map of the world, representing evil opportunities for the genius to expand his influence, you would place a minion on a card to claim that action. This will predominantly be things such as resource acquisition (kidnapping a scientist to generate one of the science resources, invading MIT to grab some laser technology), there are also ways to earn evil points (the games ultimate win criteria) such as blowing up the eiffel tower (or shrinking it with the appropriate tech) or animating the big stone heads on easter island to eat the tourists.

Alternatively to going out and conquering the world your workers could expand your base building labs (generating you guaranteed resources in subsequent turns) prisons (to capture and hold secret agents) or bunk rooms (to expand the number of minions you have)

After the worker phase is resolved you would move on to the evil genius himself. He could invent something, this would be randomised at the start of the game, diabolical deeds (one of the different research resources) combined with exotic wildlife would generate a man eating venus flytrap in one game (good for removing agents but not much else) or the aforementioned fluffles (who will be boosting your evil points in some crucial turns) if they can't or don't want to invent they may try to steal from a rival, extort the world with one of their super weapons or simply take a manical machination card (generally these are weak cards which are available to those who cannot perform any other actions)

Finally the agents phase will occur, these spawn through people's cards or when people do certain things (like begin charging their mega death ray super weapon) these would be controlled by the opposing player and would undo a lot of the evil genius's clever plans unless they can be shutdown with previously invented traps.

So I've not just gone theme, I do have the framework of a game there too. Whilst it is very rough at the moment I think there are some unique ideas kicking about (such as the invention and agents bit)

Hope this sheds a bit more light on the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
A game seldom starts with the theme. A game starts with the mechanics.

Um... I really think that depends on the designer. Some designers start with an idea for a mechanic, create a game, and them build a theme around it. (Apparently the recently-Kickstarted Time Flux: Origins of War was made this way.) Other designers start with a theme and look for mechanics that support that theme. (Todd Sanders designed Serica: Plains of Dust because he wanted to make a game about the trade between Rome and China on the Silk Road.)

Of course, there are also designers that start with a game category. "I want to build a word game for parties," they say. Then Train of Thought gets created.

I designed Dream Shift because the title popped into my head and I thought it sounded cool.

Many things can be the seed or impetus of game design. Mechanics are just one option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate is right. It really depends on the designer and even the game, and we've seen examples from both directions come out successfully.

I'd suggest checking out Before I Kill You, Mister Spy... and Mwahahaha! for some ideas since both games also explore the evil genius vs the spy hero concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this plays like a board game version of the pc game of the same name I'll probably die of excitement.

Keep putting theme first. It worked great for Matt Leacock of "Pandemic" fame. I can't remember where I saw it but he started with theme first and the mechanics came later and are quite well received.

Edit: See Dungeon Lords for a good example of worker placement with a defense mechanism. But make it way cooler and less fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

Of course, there are also designers that start with a game category. "I want to build a word game for parties," they say. Then Train of Thought gets created.

Actually, that start out as much less than a theme - it started with the name
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally for me I start with a theme and about 30 seconds later I start coming up with the mechanics to support the theme. Then from that point on they take turns leap frogging over each other to the finished game design: Theme, Mechanic, Theme, Mechanic, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:
A game seldom starts with the theme. A game starts with the mechanics.

Um... I really think that depends on the designer. Some designers start with an idea for a mechanic, create a game, and them build a theme around it. (Apparently the recently-Kickstarted Time Flux: Origins of War was made this way.) Other designers start with a theme and look for mechanics that support that theme. (Todd Sanders designed Serica: Plains of Dust because he wanted to make a game about the trade between Rome and China on the Silk Road.)

I designed Dream Shift because the title popped into my head and I thought it sounded cool.

Many things can be the seed or impetus of game design. Mechanics are just one option.

you mean to say "Time Flux: Origins of War" is not another variant of the game flux? wow. they should really choose another name, i can't have been the only person who jumped to that conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does have elements of Dungeon Lords as inspiration, and weirdly Agricola Its certainly aimed at capturing some of the humor and style of Evil Genius the pc game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:

you mean to say "Time Flux: Origins of War" is not another variant of the game flux? wow. they should really choose another name, i can't have been the only person who jumped to that conclusion.

[off topic]I saw the artwork to the game before I saw the title, so I knew it was something very different from the Fluxx series. And the Fluxx games were kind enough to use two "x"s in the name. Some people will be confused, sure, but I don't think the name will hurt them in the long run.[/off topic]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
abodi wrote:

[off topic]I saw the artwork to the game before I saw the title, so I knew it was something very different from the Fluxx series. And the Fluxx games were kind enough to use two "x"s in the name. Some people will be confused, sure, but I don't think the name will hurt them in the long run.[/off topic]

Damn Xs...always confusing people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a bit akin to Dungeon Lords.

That said, I'd still enjoy DL with a Mad Science theme. (Even more so if you could theme it to Foglio's Girl Genius works.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recently played the PC game and was inspired to make a game from the theme. Mine is more of a hand management card game, and it needs work (Some good old friends will be testing it with me between Christmas and New Years). My thanks to the posts that mentioned other games, as I love the theme and hadn't heard of games to try. Now I have.

As for ideas, here are ones that make me thing of old spy movies. I don't quite understand how they would fit into your game, I tried suggestions based on what I understand. I hope they help:

Double agents or moles in the MI6 agency (cancel a agency action?)
Gadgets (perhaps capturing a agent gives a chance to get the gadget or helps the spy escapes?)
Leading Ladies (perhaps it distracts a spy for an evening/turn?)
Cold War (pit the MI6 against the KGB to delay spy for a turn?)
Turning "normal" things into superweapons (use science resource?)
Putting "normal" things into space to make it a superweapon (use science resource?)
Doubles/Clones or escape pods that let the Evil Genius get away (two turns in a row?)
Secret doors/hidden base (lowers frequency of MI6 attacks?)
Criminal underworld (more criminal connections generate resources and MI6 attacks?)
Name=Obsession (i.e. Goldfinger-puts out a mission your opponent must accomplish first)

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.