Darin Helgeson
United States
Mckinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Under 11.0 Rout Phase the rules state:

Quote:
To rout, a unit must use (up to all of its Movement Points moving toward cover (something that will give it a positive terrain modifier). In doing so, it can not move adjacent to an enemy unit, nor move closer (in hexes) to an enemy unit in its Line of Sight.

The next sentence in the same paragraph then says:

Quote:
If it cannot move without moving closer to or adjacent to an enemy unit not in Melee, it is eliminated.

So, can a unit rout next to or closer enemy units if those units are in Melee? Are units in melee simply treated like they are not there during the rout phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding and I could be wrong as I am finding these rules leave a lot open to interpretation is that it has to move towards cover and away from enemy units that have LOS on it.

It's kind of hard to describe this without a map but I don't think a unit that is forced to rout could move north 2 hexes to cover if enemy unit we're also north and has it in LOS. It would need to move south towards some cover. Of course as previously stated I could be completely wrong.

If a unit is in a hex with an enemy and is forced to route then it is going to be eliminated as it has to move out of the hex and is then adjacent to an enemy unit not in melee. This is the main way (I have found) to eliminate units. Suppress them, advance into melee with fresh squads and cause them to rout.

However if the same unit is in a hex with another friendly unit and enemy unit and is force to rout it wouldn't be eliminated because the other friendly unit is in melee with the enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan is right.

More clarification:

- Yes, the unit in melee is treated as if it was there.
- However, because it is in melee a routing unit can move next to it. As Dan stated this comes into play most often when two units of the same side are in the same melee and one of them routs out while the other stays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Helgeson
United States
Mckinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the rout rule about a unit not being eliminated if there is still a friendly unit in the hex the routing unit just vacated (i.e. the enemy unit is still in melee). My question is about enemy units in OTHER hexes. If they are also in melee do they restrict the routing unit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, units in melee in other hexes restrict the routing unit from moving closer to them (if they are in LOS). However, a routing unit can move adjacent to one of them because they are in melee. This obviously could only happen if the routing unit began the rout phase adjacent (and needed to move into another adjacent hex).

It doesn't happen very often, but it could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Helgeson
United States
Mckinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. Just to make sure I have it straight. A unit cannot rout if it would move closer to any enemy unit no matter whether it is in melee or not unless it starts the rout adjacent to that unit. That would only happen if there were melees in two adjacent hexes. Do I have it right? Jim, I can't believe I get to ask the game designer a question on gameplay! I really like this game and find that it is fairly intuitive. Trying to get past some preconceived ideas on games of this scale (ASL) but loving the overall feel of the game. Played through the first 3 scenarios so far. Going to start on the gun/vehicle rules tomorrow. Having a blast and really looking forward to the follow on games using this system. Thanks for answering questions personally and thanks for a GREAT game! Having a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is right. Of course, it could also move closer to a unit not in LOS.

We are actually talking about things that very rarely come up. In practice it is usually very clear cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I can't believe I get to ask the game designer a question on gameplay!

I love the Geek and I was coming here long before my games were published, so it feels pretty natural.

Glad you like the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Dan is right.

More clarification:

- Yes, the unit in melee is treated as if it was there.
- However, because it is in melee a routing unit can move next to it. As Dan stated this comes into play most often when two units of the same side are in the same melee and one of them routs out while the other stays.

Apologies for waking up an old thread but if this last point is correct does that mean that the stacking limit is 2 units PER SIDE rather than an absolute limit of 2 units? If so can you point to the part of the rulebook where I missed this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading this thread I am completely confused about what can and can not be done during a Rout.
This was my understanding from the rules in the simpler example of a unit not in Melee that has to route:

Like the original OP said it would mean that Enemies in Melee can be ignored when checking valid hexes for the Rout.

Now in the thread it seems that Enemies in Melee do count for the LOS check but it's allowed to move adjacent to them, as long as you do not move "closer" to them. It seems a weird complication not having played extensively this game yet.

So rephrasing with bullets that paragraphs it'd be:

"A unit subject to Rout is eliminated if it moves:
- closer to any Enemy in LOS (in Melee or not) OR
- Adjacent to an Enemy unit not in Melee"

Is the above rephrasing correct?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the language problem

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alessandro, you are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.