Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I was going through BGG's wiki page and stumbled upon Folding@Home. Interested in the cause, and eyeballing the microbadges (especially that 1 billion point one), I was curious if supporting Folding@Home is still active in BGG?

Are the users still rewarded with geekgold and microbadges for their folding contributions?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
merriam wrote:
Hi,

I was going through BGG's wiki page and stumbled upon Folding@Home. Interested in the cause, and eyeballing the microbadges (especially that 1 billion point one), I was curious if supporting Folding@Home is still active in BGG?

See our guild: Team Geekdo

merriam wrote:
Are the users still rewarded with geekgold and microbadges for their folding contributions?

Yes, and yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool Dave. I look forward in joining team Geekdo laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely still active. I just got my copper badge after a silly amount of time. GPUs are far faster than CPUs. Unfortunately, my GPU is one generation behind those usable for folding and my motherboard is one interface standard below what needed for a better GPU. Waiting to cross the Ivy Bridge....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw, I just started a GPU fold about an hour ago. You are definitely correct where the GPUs are faster than the CPU.

Unfortunately, I think there is something wrong with the communication between my computers and the F@H host as my username was not updated with my 2 completed folding jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
Stats like the number of completed jobs are only updated every hour, iirc.

I used to be a folder for Team Geekdo as well, but my laptop (the only computer I have) now has a heating problem, so I can't do it anymore without it crashing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what the update cycle is.

You can run multiple folding processes if you have multiple GPUs or CPU cores you want to devote to it. You have to specify different CPU cores (Machine ID) in advanced settings (see below) for each folding process. Even if you're folding on one CPU, I suggest you use the core furthest from core 1; usually this will be the highest core number, I think. This keeps the cores generating heat as far away from each other as possible, essentially turning the inbetween cores into heat sinks.

Flooding can be told, in (right click on the icon in the system tray) / Configure... / Advanced tab, to use only so much percentage of the CPU's available time, 10%-100%. Effectively, Folding turns on and off to get that usage percentage; I'm not sure what the time scale is, but it's fairly large--you may hear the fan pick up speed then slow down.

Also in the same place, at the bottom is, "Pause work while battery power is being used (for laptops)".

I use a USB stick to host the folding files. This prevents heat generation and performance hits from disk seeks for folding. Also, it allows the disk to spin down to save energy (and reduce heat).

I think even if you do only one folding a month you get 5 GG. More gets you more GG. During Summer, I only folded in evenings and turned my computer off for the night (and never needed A/C). On warm evenings, I went to 50% folding. Now, I'm folding 24/7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

In advanced, I have my CPU F@H 'do NOT lock cores to specific CPU' checkmarked.

Just to check if I have everything understood:
-Multicore processing requires multiple instances of F@H, where each instance points to a different machine ID.
-In a 4 core process: the machine ID of each respective core is as follows

1 | 2
3 | 4

given the scenario that the processors are physically arranged this way.

At the moment, I have F@H running on 2 computers:
1 Quad Core with a HD4870 1GB (F@H GPU running as well)
1 Dual Core (no F@H GPU)

They are all running at 100%, and soon to be 24/7. However, only one instance of F@H is running per CPU/GPU. In fact, my quad core computer keeps me warm at night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't bet on that being the core arrangement. For example, I think this is a Sandy Bridge i5:

I suspect adding a second CPU core won't have much advantage. I expect the GPU to completely overwhelm everything. GPUs are just silly-powerful these days, and better suited to folding.

Edit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine point indeed. So my userpage was finally created, but has only 1 WU recorded. Guess I lost a couple of WUs, but I hope I don't lose any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.