The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Khazad-dûm» Forums » General

Subject: Eagles and Horses into the Moria ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Etienne Aubert
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really like the feeling of the upcoming Khazad dum box, but something is still disturbing me right now.
I just hope that all of the quests located in any underworld space will have some short of specific restrictions, which will prevent the use of any Eagle or Horse card. it would feel so counter thematic to have some Eagles or Horses coming into the Moria to help the heroes.
it was something that was already annoying me in some already released scenarios (As Dol Guldur... ), but with a Moria theme, it seems really really weird to allow this.

I was wondering if i was the only one disturbed by this fact ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kam
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blutch75 wrote:
I was wondering if i was the only one disturbed by this fact ?

Yup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Irwin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yeah I wondered if maybe they would not let you play any creature allies or something for certain underground quests. I think that's where the fellowship left Bill the Pony wasn't it? They didn't want to take him into the tunnels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't surprise me if they reference the Bill the Pony episode in a treachery card, but I will honestly be annoyed if they flat-out prevent me from using the eagles cards they spent so long releasing. I doubt that they will do that.

But the beautiful thing about this game is that if you don't want to play with eagles in Moria, you don't have to! If you want to make up elaborate reasons for why the eagles can manage it, in order to justify it to yourself (as is my plan), you can do that too. If you want to just not care about it and play the game, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it bothers you, just house rule it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I suspect the Underground trait on locations may have a bearing on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Janiec wrote:
I suspect the Underground trait on locations may have a bearing on this.

Possibly, the game mechanics would certainly allow for it.

However, I highly doubt Fantasy Flight would enforce such a major restriction on creature cards, especially after making Tactics so creature-focused over the entire previous cycle.

Really its a lose-lose, since if they restrict it they get complaints about nerfed cards and if they don't restrict it they get complaints about immersion-breaking underground eagles. For the sake of gameplay I think they'll just leave it unmentioned and let the "Bilbo"-type players restrict themselves if they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think there will be rules disallowing it, but you always get to build your deck based on what scenario you are playing. If you dig flavor, just don't take eagles and horses into Moria.

To my understanding, LotR:TCG primarily an expanding card game with an abstract game mechanic - the ME flavor is just a mask put onto these abstract mechanics. The expanding nature of the game makes it difficult to take into account all flavor related interactions with existing and upcoming cards. I suppose and I hope LotR:TCG will follow the same route as other expanding card game before it and focus on strong interactions of different mechanics while maintaining the flavor within a subset of cards. If you know MtG, this will be familiar to you. Is Butcher's Cleaver a flavorful card? I would certainly say so. What about equipping two Cleavers and a Blazing Torch on a Fortress Crab? Visualizing this makes me chuckle, but the interaction is perfectly legal within the rules. Adding extra rules to prevent this from happening would be possible, but quite cumbersome, a huge design chore and I'm fairly confident doing so would make MtG a worse game.
The same goes for LotR:TCG.

Fortunately it's a cooperative game and there is no harm playing it way you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Miller
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My biggest rant so far was on allowing you to play a radagast card in the JTR quest when part of the quest is visiting radagast! fagfdgagasgergs

I'm thinking it would make perfect sense to limit creature play underground since that would challenge you to build a different type of deck and thus force you to get more playtime out of the game. Already got a decent dwarf deck going anyways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
What I would like to see is some encounter cards that penalize you for bringing eagles and horses to places they clearly don't belong. This would be a lot more fun than an outright ban.
Quote:
If the active location is underground then for every creature ally, either discard that ally or pay 2 resources. If the active location is also dark then you have to pay 2 additional resources for each creature ally you don't discard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
joelmiller2002 wrote:
My biggest rant so far was on allowing you to play a radagast card in the JTR quest when part of the quest is visiting radagast! fagfdgagasgergs

I'm thinking it would make perfect sense to limit creature play underground since that would challenge you to build a different type of deck and thus force you to get more playtime out of the game. Already got a decent dwarf deck going anyways

The idea of Radagast guiding you to his house in JTR sits perfectly fine with me. And limiting creature play underground does not give your more play time out of the game because you have less options to play with. Just as I'm cool with Frodo adventuring around Middle Earth in the game before he ever left the Shire in the books, I'm also cool with playing the game unrestricted as it is. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thirteenthirtyseven wrote:
To my understanding, LotR:TCG primarily an expanding card game with an abstract game mechanic - the ME flavor is just a mask put onto these abstract mechanics. The expanding nature of the game makes it difficult to take into account all flavor related interactions with existing and upcoming cards. I suppose and I hope LotR:TCG will follow the same route as other expanding card game before it and focus on strong interactions of different mechanics while maintaining the flavor within a subset of cards. If you know MtG, this will be familiar to you. Is Butcher's Cleaver a flavorful card? I would certainly say so. What about equipping two Cleavers and a Blazing Torch on a Fortress Crab? Visualizing this makes me chuckle, but the interaction is perfectly legal within the rules. Adding extra rules to prevent this from happening would be possible, but quite cumbersome, a huge design chore and I'm fairly confident doing so would make MtG a worse game.
The same goes for LotR:TCG.

I think JP hit the nail right on the head with the Magic analogy. Sooner or later the theme can become a black hole which sucks away all the good gameplay. I remember with the World of Warcraft TCG specifically that the first few sets corresponded very closely with the computer game but as the development of the game progressed it diverged more and more in order to keep the gameplay options open, otherwise they would have designed themselves into a corner and been simply done. A "Living" game simply can't afford to do that.

I do agree with Joel though, having specific interactions or restrictions does effect the deck-building aspect of the game by forcing you to adapt to fit accomplish the quest within the restrictions. Whether or not this is an improvement is up for debate, but I would argue that it is better for the game in the long run. Fortunately many quests already incorporate subtle elements of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree horses and eagles have nothing to do in Moira, so I leave them out of my decks.

My first solo deck is a pure dwarf deck. Its built around Dain, Gimli and Bifur. I've made it as dwarf as I can leaving out all dunedain, gondor, elf and Rohan themed cards.

Really fun and thematic deck to play.

It's also refreshing since I used alot of eagles and Rohan in mirkwood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.