Subject: a ersonal appeal to the BSG SO crowd .......... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are reading this , then you probably get a lot of use out of BGG , like I do .

and admittedly , i dont own the game YET , but i AM going to buy 2 copies next month , and i am only doing so because of all the wonderful things i have read about it , and all the support the game has here on BGG !

I would like to remind people of just how great a site BGG is , and how much we all get out of it .

Its very easy to blow off the fund raising banner , but let me point out a few things :

1) the GOAL of this year is 8,000 supporters , higher than it has ever been .

2) 8,000 supports is only 2% of the active users of BGG .

3) we all get a lot of use out of this site , and its impact can be felt in pretty much any game we play .

4) where else are you going to find so many resources dealing with the games you play ?

5) and its always been free .

Its not like PBS , where they do fund drives every other month begging you for money , so you can see them drive a Hummer H3 around ( my local PBS station has a H3 in its vehicle fleet ) . This site only ever gets better .

So even if you cant afford $15 , even just a few dollars makes a huge impact when enough people give it .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, but I also don't want to see the game forums flooded with funding drive threads. Please keep this stuff in the BGG forums, not the game forums. No, I can't make you do so. I'm asking nicely, so we can continue to keep the game forums focused on the games, which is one of the reasons I chip in my contribution every year.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
I agree, but I also don't want to see the game forums flooded with funding drive threads. Please keep this stuff in the BGG forums, not the game forums. No, I can't make you do so. I'm asking nicely, so we can continue to keep the game forums focused on the games, which is one of the reasons I chip in my contribution every year.

Thanks!

well , i guess you are right , i have wasted far to much of your precious time and life by posting a thread in the hope of reaching people who just ignore the banner ad and fund raising bar .

i have ruined this site by hoping to maybe get a few lurkers to consider actually donating , rather than just using .

and i guess i am alone in being dissapointed that thus far , the most that have donated to this site are just 1.5% of the people registered here .

so as to not waste more of YOUR time , i have removed my forum posts in the BSG SO forums , and while i could not remove the thread that i had posted noobish questions in , i have removed the noobish questions , so as to decrease the liklyness that anyone will reply to them , and thus they will die and not waste more precious time and space in the BSG SO forums .

likewise , when i get my 2 copies next month and work on pimping them out like i do all the minis games i play , i wont post pics or anything else to the BSG SO forums or galleries or blogs or anything else related to this game so that i dont waste more of YOUR time .

but i WILL leave THIS thread , because at this time as i write this , 12 people have thumbed YOUR reply on this thread , and 6 of them are people who have not donated , thats 50% of your fans that agree that they should not be bothered with requests to donate , and probably blew off the banner ad aswell . half of your fans agree that its fine to be part of the 98.5% that dont want to donate , and find it life ruining to have to read a thread hoping they will reconsider .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandInquisitorKris wrote:
cbs42 wrote:

Thanks!

well , i guess you are right , i have wasted far to much of your precious time and life by posting a thread in the hope of reaching people who just ignore the banner ad and fund raising bar .

i have ruined this site by hoping to maybe get a few lurkers to consider actually donating , rather than just using .

and i guess i am alone in being dissapointed that thus far , the most that have donated to this site are just 1.5% of the people registered here .

so as to not waste more of YOUR time , i have removed my forum posts in the BSG SO forums , and while i could not remove the thread that i had posted noobish questions in , i have removed the noobish questions , so as to decrease the liklyness that anyone will reply to them , and thus they will die and not waste more precious time and space in the BSG SO forums .

likewise , when i get my 2 copies next month and work on pimping them out like i do all the minis games i play , i wont post pics or anything else to the BSG SO forums or galleries or blogs or anything else related to this game so that i dont waste more of YOUR time .

but i WILL leave THIS thread , because at this time as i write this , 12 people have thumbed YOUR reply on this thread , and 6 of them are people who have not donated , thats 50% of your fans that agree that they should not be bothered with requests to donate , and probably blew off the banner ad aswell . half of your fans agree that its fine to be part of the 98.5% that dont want to donate , and find it life ruining to have to read a thread hoping they will reconsider .

Way to take a polite response and totally ignore the politeness of it... shake

edit: And please do not forget this, from Aldie's post: BGG, RPGG, and VGG are all free to use, and support is entirely voluntary. Let me stress this - No user should ever be made to feel like a second class citizen because they do not have a supporter badge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I haven't donated any money to this site yet. However, even though I'm a fairly recent regular user, I like to think that I support this site in other ways;

- I try to actively participate in discussions
- Help other users out with rules explanations/clarificatons
- Tell all my friends about the site and get them to sign up
- Rank games I own

I'd like to think that adding useful content to the site supports the site's growth, attracts more users, and increases the revenue of the banner ads that vendors purchase.

I'll probably end up making a donation anyways. Regardless, I agree that a game forum is not the place to solicit donations. It should be used talking about the game in question. And on that note,

... so when are we getting Battleship Galaxies expansions already !!!!???!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandInquisitorKris wrote:
cbs42 wrote:

Thanks!

I thumbed Chris' post because it was very grown up. Maturity and good manners still exist, even on message boards, and should be rewarded.

Bad manners - like calling out the people who had the nerve to thumb Chris' post, as if they owed you an explanation - are very common, and should be avoided.

You are not talking to children on this message board. Be polite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can this be moved to the Complaint Dept? This has nothing to do with the game. By his own admission, the OP doesn't even own a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Complaints and Locked
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.