Subject: What sections of the map(s) to use? 4-7 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rintoul
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Saturday 17 December to celebrate my impending birthday I have organised to play our first game of Advanced Civilization. I have 4 people definitely playing and 3 possibles. So I am unsure as to the final number of players as yet. I am hoping for more players rather than less.

I was looking for advice on the sections of the map to use. I have the Western Expansion Map and was intending to go with the suggestions that come with this map. So using the Western Expansion Map whatever number of players we end up with.

Does anyone have any additional advice to add? For example is there a certain number of players that you would choose not to use the Western Expansion Map and just use the original map.

I note that if we have four players the Western Expansion Map says that using it provides a much better game? Is this true?

Whilst this is a first game and first games are "learning" games given that we anticipate the game going for 12 hours I want to get the best experience for all. Our core group of gamers is not scared of having a nasty game and in fact would probably enjoy that more. So I think we are looking for a game that is not too forgiving (ie where all can have a comfortable amount of space and have 7-9 cities.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,

Drop me a geekmail. I've posted this question before a couple of times and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. The rulebook is unclear and doesnt make sense when you combine the western expansion with advanced civ.

I've gone about doing it a different way entirely and would prefer to discuss with you privately, otherwise this thread could turn into a mess of "you're doing it wrong..." etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Corrin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Traveller Werewolf - more games planned
badge
Still have werewolf games in sign-up.
mbmbmbmbmb

For a group of new players you don't want to have a person's opinion of the game soured by having a poor board position lose them the game.

So (in my opinion), there are some civs that are easier to play and some that are more difficult. Crete for example takes a very specific strategy to play well. Egypt is the civ we give to new players to make things easier for them. Africa is much better with the western expansion, but still a bit of a challenge. Iberia is easier with the expansion. etc.

You can also change the board size to make the game more or less challenging. Playing a 6 player game in a 5 player area will create more conflict, or in a 7 player area for less interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.