Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Core Worlds» Forums » General

Subject: Terrible Insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy today and was very disappointed with the insert. Its just a generic white piece of cardboard that does nothing to hold the cards...

I really don't understand how publishers can push out a game with 200+ cards, but not provide a simple cardboard insert that allows for the cards to be properly stored. I'll post a picture of the solution I came up with my cutting the provided insert, but this is still very disappointing. The solution is out there (look at what AEG has done with Thunderstone) and there is no way it would of cost anymore to publish the game (this is the excuse FFG gave at GenCon) as it could be done with the same amount of material.

BTW, the box is WAY to big for this game. Mostly full of air once punched and packed up.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a copy yesterday and noticed the same thing. I'm sticking them all in ziplock bags for now. The player boards don't fit inside the insert so I cut a slot at the bottom so they slide in.

I'm currently debating about sleeving them. I want to give the game a go before investing in sleeves. I'm finding in the past I'd sleeve everything and the games my group hates would have to be unsleeved again which gets a bit tiresome! Think I'll give each game a play first before deciding on the time and investment.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that insert doesn't make a lot of sense. It doesn't help in any way whatsoever, be it keeping components in place or just making the game more visually appealing when you open the box. As for the box size, yeah this one has a lot of air, but I can see why they wouldn't want to go with a much smaller size.

I hadn't heard FFG's comment before, but it strikes me as ridiculous. We're talking about a company that's always going all out to pimp out everything they sell. There has to be some other reason why the other game companies aren't following AEG's lead with the dividers, etc.

ScottE wrote:
The player boards don't fit inside the insert so I cut a slot at the bottom so they slide in.


EDIT : OK, I had to go back and add a comment when I saw this. Did you try turning the boards the other direction? I know you want to intuitively make them fit longways, but they actually fit across the short way, assuming you're not trying to make them flush with the bottom of the box.

And what was Stronghold thinking regarding the rulebook? If you keep the insert, your rulebook is going to be a mess pretty soon unless you tuck it UNDER the insert.

Ah well, I've repackaged other games (Dominion, RftG, etc) to make them more portable. I'll probably end up doing the same with Core Worlds too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
ScottE wrote:
The player boards don't fit inside the insert so I cut a slot at the bottom so they slide in.

EDIT : OK, I had to go back and add a comment when I saw this. Did you try turning the boards the other direction? I know you want to intuitively make them fit longways, but they actually fit across the short way, assuming you're not trying to make them flush with the bottom of the box.

They don't sit flat that way either since the insert sides are at an angle. But my fix works fine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, the box is definitely too big, which for me, makes any insert useless. This is the type of game I'd like to carry around in my backpack amongst other things. Thus, the search for the perfect sized container begins.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
badge
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The box is too big for the cards. But ask any game publisher the effect on sales with a product in a small box or ziplock bag versus a product in a shelf-worthy box that can "compete" with other boxed games in the FLGS and the big box wins every time. So, I get the "logic" of the big box. I flipped the offending side tabs backwards under the insert and now I can fit all the parts in the box within the insert (except the rules....they are destined to develop a distinct roll over time, but oh well.)

Still a very fun game!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, is BGG just full of whiners?

If the box is too big, it's no good.

If the box is compact, then it's too small.

If the borders are black, then they wear too easily.

If the borders are white, then they don't look as slick.

If the game has budget components, then it's "cheap".

If it has very nice bits, then it's "over-produced".

Sheesh.

Cameron

P.S. My game included a bunch of small, card sized plastic baggies, so I put the various decks in those. The inserts fit fine if you put them on top of all the baggied cards.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I turned the insert upside down. Worked quite well with the cards in the small compartments on the sides and the rules and player mats on top.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SkyGazer wrote:
The box is too big for the cards. But ask any game publisher the effect on sales with a product in a small box or ziplock bag versus a product in a shelf-worthy box that can "compete" with other boxed games in the FLGS and the big box wins every time.


Apart from that, I will be happy to get all future expansions in this box.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Trump wrote:
ScottE wrote:
The player boards don't fit inside the insert so I cut a slot at the bottom so they slide in.

EDIT : OK, I had to go back and add a comment when I saw this. Did you try turning the boards the other direction? I know you want to intuitively make them fit longways, but they actually fit across the short way, assuming you're not trying to make them flush with the bottom of the box.

They don't sit flat that way either since the insert sides are at an angle. But my fix works fine.


As I said, they don't sit flush with the bottom of the box, but assuming you have your cards in there, they sit flat on top of that. It's not remotely ideal, but it's not as awful as not being able to fit at all.

matpe wrote:
I turned the insert upside down. Worked quite well with the cards in the small compartments on the sides and the rules and player mats on top.


You know, I do that with other games, but because of the shape of this one, I didn't even try it. This works PERFECTLY! Good idea!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the insert: It's not the design that we ordered. Our printer took responsibility for the error, but the games were already printed and packed. However, while not optimum it still functions. I've noticed that someone here mentioned turning the insert over for better performance. I would agree, and this is closer to our original design for the insert.

Regarding sleeves: These are super-high quality black-core cards. Between the quality of the card and the white borders to hide wear you would probably never need to sleeve the cards unless you play with people who are exceedingly rough on the cards. However, we made the cards a standard size so that you can still sleeve if you want to.

Regarding Box Size: Yes, there is a little extra space in order to allow for possible expansion of the game if the demand exists. You can imagine that we're in a "Catch 22" situation with the design - too big and people are upset, but if we made it too small to hold expansions we would have people say "If only they made the box large enough to hold everything together!"

I hope that answers most of the questions in this thread. If I've missed anything, please let me know.

Enjoy the game!


14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Regarding the insert: It's not the design that we ordered. Our printer took responsibility for the error, but the games were already printed and packed. However, while not optimum it still functions. I've noticed that someone here mentioned turning the insert over for better performance. I would agree, and this is closer to our original design for the insert.

Regarding sleeves: These are super-high quality black-core cards. Between the quality of the card and the white borders to hide wear you would probably never need to sleeve the cards unless you play with people who are exceedingly rough on the cards. However, we made the cards a standard size so that you can still sleeve if you want to.

Regarding Box Size: Yes, there is a little extra space in order to allow for possible expansion of the game if the demand exists. You can imagine that we're in a "Catch 22" situation with the design - too big and people are upset, but if we made it too small to hold expansions we would have people say "If only they made the box large enough to hold everything together!"

I hope that answers most of the questions in this thread. If I've missed anything, please let me know.

Enjoy the game!




Yes, The card stock on the cards is amazing!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So i basically cut off one of the ends of the insert and taped it together. Then i sleeved all the cards with FFG Grey sleeves and measured how much room i needed for the cards to fit. Taped that bad boy to the inside of the box to make an insert to hold the cards. Stole 2 Foam "things" from Thunderstone to pack all the cards in.

For any expansion, I think all of us would appriciate a box and insert that holds all of the cards sleeved. Just a heads up cool

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
the game fits exceptionally well in a Carcassonne Tower Expansion box, in case anyone cares.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Coggins
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My order got here today and have been playing it. Great game btw!

As far as the insert goes, I tore off the the sides of the insert that run horizontal if you're looking straight down at the box. This added more room for the player boards to lay flat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.