Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BuyWord» Forums » General

Subject: Why would you ever want to play a word if you have 8 tiles or less? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, why would you?

Isn't it always the best strategy to stock-pile your letters, so that you get a larger pool of letters to work with? And that you only play a word when you're forced to by the rule which requires discarding tiles if you have more than eight at the end of your turn?

I can't think of a good reason why you'd ever play a word in a situation where you don't have more than eight letters, aside from the end of the game. Or am I missing something obvious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Correct.

QFT.

So when we play the objective is to leave yourself with 8 and your opponent with 9. That way they're forced to make a word from 9 letters, and when you are forced to you'll have at least 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I agree with what everyone says. The only reason I could see in dumping a word before you are forced to is if you're out of cash and won't be able to purchase anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura, just Laura
United States
Silicon Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is never to your advantage.

I've given up on trying to convince people of this when I'm teaching, however. They never believe me until they see it in action (and sometimes not even then).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.