Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
The version I just received is copyright 2008 but has some differences in the rules from the others I've seen posted here (my dice are the creamed-coffee colored ones).

The cards in this set include Coffee cards, wild cards, and the following specials:
Roll: Re-roll one die.
Change: Change one die to a desired face.
Take: Take a card from another player; that player draws a replacement from the deck.
Spill: Choose a player who must discard all 4 cards and redraw a fresh hand (ouch!)

No one starts with any coins.

Deal 4 cards to each player and decide who will roll the dice for the target drink order.

Starting with the person who rolled the dice and moving counterclockwise, each player draws a card, places face-down in front of them each matching card (only 1 copy of each, though) or wilds. These cards are still considered to be in your hand.

Discard one card face-up. If it's an Action, carry out that action.

First person with 4 cards that match the drink dice ends the round and receives 2 coins from the tip pile.

During play, anyone who has at least 1 coin may call a Barista Challenge at the end of their turn. Each other player gets a turn, then cards are compared. If the player calling the challenge has more cards matching the dice than at least one other player, the challenger collects a coin from the tip pile. Otherwise, the challenger must return a coin to the tip pile.

The winner is the first to collect at least 5 coins.

This seems more streamlined than the other rules posted here, but still not a lot of strategy. Putting the matching portion of your hand in front of you simply tips off the others about when to call a Barista Challenge and who to use a Take card on.

I'd suggest instead keeping a 5 card hand, never putting any down in front of you, and when a Barista Challenge happens everyone chooses 4 cards to reveal simultaneously.

A five card hand allows for a little more strategy, allowing you to hold an Action or two until the best time to spring them. It also allows a player to reveal one less matching card than they have during a Barista Challenge to hide how close they are to the Perfect Drink, even if it risks allowing an opponent to win the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have the same rules/parts that you do.

The game plays ok as is.

I like your variant rules very much and will likely adopt them.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did a very careful re-read of the rules.

The game description (under the heading of "TO BEGIN:") does tell players to put matching cards face down in front of themselves.

Quote:
6. Place any of your cards that match the Drink Order Dice face down in front of you. If you have duplicate cards in your hand, only one of them can be placed face down to match the Drink Order Dice.

However, the actual rule (under the heading "HOW TO PLAY:")doesn't say that. It says:

"If you have a matching Drink Card or wild card, you may place it face down in front of you..." (emphasis added)

That lets you give information if you like or not. This can give an intersting twist to the game. Say you have 3 cards in your hand that match the Drink Card Dice, but you place no card or only one card face down in front of you. Another player with 2 cards matching the Drink Card Dice may be fooled into issuing a Barista Challenge that s/he cannot win! That is a really neat little bluffing twist to the game that I had missed the first time through the rules.

There is still a problem with what to do if you play a "Take" card. It seems you are stuck with 5 cards in your hand? I haven't figured that one out yet. Do you get to play another card? Do you have to discard another card? We have been playing that you MUST discard to reduce your total hand to 4 cards by the end of your turn. If the discarded card is another action card, that second action is ignored.

We had a neat thing happen during one of the challenges...another player played a "Change" card, changing one of the Drink Order Dice to something different...causing the challenger to no longer have one of the matching cards for the now changed order. HA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Musil
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shijuro wrote:
Putting the matching portion of your hand in front of you simply tips off the others about when to call a Barista Challenge and who to use a Take card on.

These were my thoughts exactly. We still play with only four cards in hand, but we keep them in hand and never put them facedown in front of us. We will try the 5-card variant next time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.