10 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about "unbuilding" ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T. M.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a stupid question... in our last game two of one player Cruiser ship were stuck far away from everything after one attacked alien world in III-area (and got second Cruiser from tile Discovery). Later he wanted to build more ships close to the centre but all Cruisers were built allready. He had bad drive, so moving was very expensive (I count 5 actions!). He had many Resources to build but no money. I think answer is no (this is how we played), but I ask any way:

Is possible to "unbuild" ships at board to build again at other location?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
flyerforfun wrote:
I have a stupid question... in our last game two of one player Cruiser ship were stuck far away from everything after one attacked alien world in III-area (and got second Cruiser from tile Discovery). Later he wanted to build more ships close to the centre but all Cruisers were built allready. He had bad drive, so moving was very expensive (I count 5 actions!). He had many Resources to build but no money. I think answer is no (this is how we played), but I ask any way:

Is possible to "unbuild" ships at board to build again at other location?

In short: No.

You played it correctly. This is why it's important to think about strategic (and tactical) placement of your fleet - your support capacity is not unlimited! Incidentally I believe it would have been a much smarter move for that player to take the Discovery as VP, by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. M.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! You are fast!

aautio wrote:
Incidentally I believe it would have been a much smarter move for that player to take the Discovery as VP, by the way!

True!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Thank you for exploring the far reaches of space for our glorious space empire, Captain Schwejksam. If you would now press the self destruct button, please?" robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lange
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
"Thank you for exploring the far reaches of space for our glorious space empire, Captain Schwejksam. If you would now press the self destruct button, please?" :robot:

Yeah, exactly. Rules that allow you to dismantle any unit on the game board have always been nonsensical to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
Canada
flag msg tools
I can understand the play balance reasons why you are not allowed to remove a ship, but is it really that nonsensical to think you could decommission a ship? Especially if it's over top of one of your own colonies?

If a colony is equipped to build a dreadnought, surely they're well equipped enough to tear one up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that one of the core design philosophies of Eclipse, and indeed what makes it so beautiful and brilliant, is simplicity. The simple-to-grasp gameplay is what made it so appealing to most of us, and the addition of a seldom used mechanic such as deconstruction/decommissioning, or any of the additions suggested over the last month or so would unecessarily bog the game down, in my opinion.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that I think these sort of ideas should not be voiced and/or implemented/house-ruled. Indeed, you SHOULD tweak the game's mechanics as you see fit. Still, I just thought I'd remind us all why we fell in love with the game in the first place.

Small additions here and there may seem minor to us now that we've become familiar with the game, but they add up to make a game seem much more complex to an outsider, potentially turning them away from a game they would've otherwise had a lot of fun with.

In that way, these additional layers of gameplay are best saved for an expansion (which is a very real possibility, in my opinion; both its existance AND the inclusion of such small rule changes/additions). After all, that is exactly the purpose of an expansion; to enhance or add to the experience of the original game for those of us familiar with it.

Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
Canada
flag msg tools
For this case I definitely can see why you wouldn't allow decommissioning ships for some play balance reasons. For one, starbases are dirt cheap and very cost effective. If you could just tear them up and put them down whenever you need a defence force, it seems like that'd be a lot more efficient action and cost wise than using a more mobile defence. Also, removing your ships right before they're going to be blown to smithereens as a means of denying combat VPs to your enemy would be incredibly gamey.

I just don't think it's that unrealistic for a new player coming in to wonder why you can't decommission old and unwanted ships because, well, it's a thing that happens in real life navies all the time.

I do really appreciate how much effort the designers have put into making a game with a lot of theme without a lot of rules complexity and while maintaining good balance. People just sit at different points on the complexity-theme-balance curves, so they like to tweak things one way or the other .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrThud wrote:
People just sit at different points on the complexity-theme-balance curves, so they like to tweak things one way or the other .
Indeed. It seems I come up with my own as soon as I'm finished reading through a rulebook! I've certainly thought of several such tweaks for Eclipse already, which may or may not be playtested at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.