Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Congdon
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I was browsing some microbadges today and came across one called 'Board Game...Is that a shirt?' inspired by this thread. I laughed. Then remembered something funny that happened years ago. So I went to post and found the thread locked. So, I figured with the holiday shopping season upon us, someone must have had some funny run-ins with sales clerks.

I'll start with this one from...probably around 1990 or so back when the band mentioned in the conversation wasn't quite as well known.

The scene opens with me walking into a record store at one of the larger and best known shopping malls in Indianapolis. For the record (no pun intended!), the store in question is no longer open and hasn't been there for years.

I browsed the aisles looking for a CD by a band that a friend had recommended to me. My friend had the tape version of this album, but I had recently gotten a CD player and really wanted the CD version. After walking around for a little, I had noticed a sign that said 'Some titles are kept behind the counter to prevent sales to children. Please ask the clerk if you are looking for a title and don't see it elsewhere.' OK, so I figure I'll ask the gal behind the counter.

Me: Excuse me, do you have Nine Inch Nails?
Saleswoman: Pardon me?
Me: Nine Inch Nails. Do you have Nine Inch Nails?
Saleswoman: glancing at her hand Um, were you looking for the salon next door?

My jaw dropped. It was pretty funny. And sadly, no, they didn't have a copy of Pretty Hate Machine. I did finally find a copy at another store, and still have it today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was once working in a shop and an old lady came in with a thick German accent. After asking about a few products she started to tell me about her childhood in Austria before the war and what a nice little boy Hitler was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was training a new hire when...
Older customer: "Where are the Albums?"
(we carried a large supply of photo albums and scrapbooks)
New Clerk (cheerfully): " You should try the record shop across the street."
Me (w/ facepalm): "Our photo ALBUMS (question wisdom of hiring NH) are this way Ma'am"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris' story reminds me of my stint in retail. It was in a large department store in the ladies' blouses department. When I clocked in, I would go through the department (which was quite large) and organize the clearance racks and peruse any new merchandise. When there were no customers I was out in the racks, straightening and organizing and familiarizing myself with the styles, brands, prices, etc.

Not everyone working retail is committed and lots usually just stand by the register during their entire shift.

When a customer would come in and ask me for a specific type, color, or price of a blouse, I could usually help them easily. Other sales clerks would just say: "I don't know." and turn away. I would get out into the racks showing the customer different options and help them with what they were looking for.

I really loved working retail, unfortunately it doesn't pay and the hours/schedule are a nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Chris' story reminds me of my stint in retail. It was in a large department store in the ladies' blouses department. When I clocked in, I would go through the department (which was quite large) and organize the clearance racks and peruse any new merchandise. When there were no customers I was out in the racks, straightening and organizing and familiarizing myself with the styles, brands, prices, etc.

Not everyone working retail is committed and lots usually just stand by the register during their entire shift.

When a customer would come in and ask me for a specific type, color, or price of a blouse, I could usually help them easily. Other sales clerks would just say: "I don't know." and turn away. I would get out into the racks showing the customer different options and help them with what they were looking for.

I really loved working retail, unfortunately it doesn't pay and the hours/schedule are a nightmare.

I liked working retail (bookstores were my forte), too, but absolutely the hours and pay sucked and didn't make it worth the hassles. Like this:
Customer comes into the book store and up to the information desk.
Customer (C): I'm looking for a book.
Me (M): I'm happy to help. What's the title?
C: I don't know.
M: Do you know the author?
C: No, I'm really not sure.
M (with a jovial attitude and smile): That certainly makes it more of a challenge. What kind of book is it: literature, self-help, biography?
C: I really don't know.
M: Is it fiction or non-fiction?
C: Sorry, I don't know. But I think the cover was purple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

I liked working retail (bookstores were my forte), too, but absolutely the hours and pay sucked and didn't make it worth the hassles. Like this:
M (with a jovial attitude and smile): That certainly makes it more of a challenge. What kind of book is it: literature, self-help, biography?

At least they were able to narrow it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
That certainly makes it more of a challenge.

Quote of the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

Having also worked in a book store. I can attest for this sort of stupidity. I once had a special order come in. So I called the customer and left a message on their machine that such and such book came in.

The next day the customer came in with his wife (an elderly couple) and said "apparently this is a book on hold for us?"

So i pulled it off the shelf and said here it is. The two of them looked perplexed. "I didn't order this" the man said, he asked his wife "did you order this?"

She said no, she didn't. The guy then says "sorry, this must be someone elses order"

I said "well unless that person lives at your same phone number, and has your name, then it looks like you ordered it"

They were positive that they hadn't ordered it, and in the end, didn't buy it.

guess that's what you call a senior moment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:

I really did as well, I could totally see myself doing retail for the rest of my life. However the pay was the worst part. I would love to manage a book store.

I got paid just above minimum wage, and I was a supervisor
I was responsible for opening and closing the store,
for employee's who were not supervisors
for the look of the store and cleanliness
etc. etc.

My manager got paid around $14/hr or so. It was ridiculous, you can't live on that, yet the head office guys rake in the cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.