16 Posts

Gears of War: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: AI Card 6 on turn 1: Really? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stef R
Canada
flag msg tools
So on my very first turn on my very first attempt at Emergence I ran into a situation that seems terribly strange to me. I may have done something wrong, or this may simply be a quirk of the game; I'm just not sure and I can't find clarification in the rules or FAQ.

I set up as instructed, placing all the map tiles and ending up with an L-shaped map with the COGs entering from the top. I spawned Locust on each Emergence hole then sealed them before the first turn except for the one nearest the exit. This left me with a healthy number of Locust on the board, since I was playing 4 COGs(I only meant to play a few turns to wrap my head around all the rules I'd just read).

On turn 1 I moved Dom forward and fired to no effect. With his turn complete, I reached for the AI deck and drew card 6: Swarm. This card states, 'Each Locust that is 5 or more movement away from the nearest COG figure moves until it is 4 movement away from the nearest COG figure. Then draw a new AI card.'

Since Dom was the only COG that had moved from the starting Area, this meant that he was the nearest COG to every Locust on the board. Every monster except those in the nearest group suddenly found itself in the same Area 4 movement away from Dom. Something like 11 Locust in one Area. I couldn't even spread them out over multiple Areas because the only spot 4 movement from Dom was just outside a bottleneck. I don't think I need to explain why this would seem odd to a first-time player.

Did I do something wrong? Were there certain Locust that I wasn't supposed to activate? Or did I just have a stroke of weird luck on my first turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A stroke of weird luck. I doubt it would matter in the long run, since on the next turn another AI card will break up the group some. Anyway, it's called SWARM for a reason!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank your lucky stars and start lobbing grenades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eppic wrote:
Thank your lucky stars and start lobbing grenades.

+1 thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
The following has happened twice to me so far:

1) Move all enemies that are far away to 4 spaces away, draw new card
2) Move all enemies that are 4 or more away 3 closer, draw new card
3) Move all enemies that are 2 or less away into your space and have them attack you

Now that is bad luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:

3) Move all enemies that are 2 or less away into your space and have them attack you

Now that is bad luck

Wow, that is a tough one! I have been THAT unlucky in the game to this point. I do hate the swarm card however!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef R
Canada
flag msg tools
Alright, thanks for the clarification folks. I'd have thrown a grenade or two if I'd thought of it, but the situation was so baffling to me that I stopped playing and spent my last waking hour poring over the rules, FAQ and other posts here. I suppose stuff like this happens more often than I imagined at first, and I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
You were noisey opening up the door and all the beasties came to investigate. Sounds normal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef R
Canada
flag msg tools
It struck me as odd because it essentially negated all tactical movement on the very first turn, instead turning the game into a shooting gallery. I could be wrong, but don't recall seeing any AI cards that move Locust away from the COGs. And that's to say nothing of the logistical problems of fitting 11 figures into one area...

I suppose if I'd kept going they would have spread out somewhat, as Silent pointed out, so I was a bit hasty in my judgment. I'll try to recreate the scenario tonight and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one of the Boomer AI cards has them back up a step as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:

Now that is bad luck

Ouch.

Sometimes, however, a quick death is preferable to the alternative...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinkle
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a similar experience my last game. Emergence, Marcus and Baird, both at full health and fully loaded on weapons. One grenade left on Baird. Marcus is two spaces from the final emergence hole, Baird is three. Two wretches are all that's left on the board. I pull a wretch card that says each wretch moves two spaces towards nearest COG and attacks if in his area. So the the first wretch moves into Marcus' spot and attacks. Rolls one wound and an Omen. Which spawns a wretch at the emergence hole. Which now moves two spaces and attacks. And rolls an Omen. Which spawns a wretch...

This happens five more times.

Marcus goes from full health to bleeding out in a sea of wretches, falling to wounds and failed guard attempts. Baird chucks his last grenade into the mess, but due to unlucky dice, only kills two and wounds two more. Amazingly, he's able to guard his way through their next move and wipes them out, but drops to one card in the process.

And Marcus' AI card spawns a Boomer and insists I draw another AI card, which moves the Boomer up and one-shots Baird.

Great shape to wiped out in two turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviesign wrote:
And Marcus' AI card spawns a Boomer and insists I draw another AI card, which moves the Boomer up and one-shots Baird.

What card is that ? Pretty sure I don't have any such card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinkle
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Moviesign wrote:

What card is that ? Pretty sure I don't have any such card.

You know, looking through the cards, neither do I. Thought that was how the last move went down, but clearly I was mistaken. I *was* killed by a Boomer, that much I know. Gotta stop playing games at two in the morning, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
MrWhoopee wrote:
... I reached for the AI deck and drew card 6: Swarm. This card states, 'Each Locust that is 5 or more movement away from the nearest COG figure moves until it is 4 movement away from the nearest COG figure. Then draw a new AI card.'
Since Dom was the only COG that had moved from the starting Area, this meant that he was the nearest COG to every Locust on the board. Every monster except those in the nearest group suddenly found itself in the same Area 4 movement away from Dom. Something like 11 Locust in one Area. I couldn't even spread them out over multiple Areas because the only spot 4 movement from Dom was just outside a bottleneck. I don't think I need to explain why this would seem odd to a first-time player.
Did I do something wrong? Were there certain Locust that I wasn't supposed to activate? Or did I just have a stroke of weird luck on my first turn?

We had this exact same thing happen this last Friday when we played.
We thought it was a little odd also.

Unfortunately, we couldn't capitalize on all the locusts being in the same area, and never made it out of the first room because of it.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.