Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: 7 Personal Stories for 7 Custom made characters -- comments are welcome! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

This all started here.

Well, ok, not all. But the will to make the personal story cards for the characters.

It took more work than I thought at first. But I liked every bit of it!

I tried to make the stories as linked as possible to the story of the characters, while also making them compelling - you may not want to play with the personal stories, but if you do, I think is necessary that the players want to complete them.

That may lead to some unbalanced rewards and penalties. I try to avoid this, but what may seem reasonable for me, might no be for you. Thefore, in the hopes to make everything right (stories and rewards/penaties) I'm posting them for you all to see.

Hope you like it.

Regards,

Gary Sanford, John "Knuckles" Leary, Jonathan O'Connor & Matthew Barson

Samantha Jones, Sara Weinstein & Steve Casper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering again, I'm considering change the penalty for the failure of the personal story of Jonathan O'Connor.

The reward was much better (well, that depends on how much money will be lost, I know). So I'm considering this:

Jonathan is delayed and loses at least, if possible, $6 worth of money and/or items - no refunds.

What do you think?

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
You've done a fine job overall, with both the investigators and their personal stories. I have a few suggestions and clarifications.

Gary: When he fails his personal story, does he merely lose two sanity or is his maximum sanity reduced by two?

John: In order to pass his personal story, does he have to discard the tropies, or just have them in his possession?

Johnathan: In keeping with the rest of the terminology, "Terror checks" should be changed to "Horror checks."

You're right about his failure condition being a little weak. As far as losing the money, all he has to do is trade it or spend it before failing. Maybe lose two items of his choice and cannot gain money, or cannot gain a Retainer.

Matthew: His failure condition should read if he's driven insane or knocked unconscious. I know Mark's failure says if he's reduced to zero sanity, but the rest of those conditions always refer to being driven insane or knocked unconscious, and I personally like that phrasing better.

Again, nice job.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Brian!

apatheticexecutioner wrote:

Gary: When he fails his personal story, does he merely lose two sanity or is his maximum sanity reduced by two?

Just the currently Sanity is reduced. The real penalty is the rise in the Terror track.

John: In order to pass his personal story, does he have to discard the tropies, or just have them in his possession?

Just having them. I belive the difficult to actually get the right monsters (the Cultists are an easy kill, but they may end up showing far away or , even worse, not showing at all). Do you think is better for him to have to discard the trophies? Now, thinking about, I believe it is better indeed, since it cost something and he will have more chances to use his new found ability. However, logically, it fails a bit, since the ideia is that the Sheldon Gang just wack the hell of a cult! So he would have some trophy to show (but maybe the ability shows this well enough).

Johnathan: In keeping with the rest of the terminology, "Terror checks" should be changed to "Horror checks."

Changed!

You're right about his failure condition being a little weak. As far as losing the money, all he has to do is trade it or spend it before failing. Maybe lose two items of his choice and cannot gain money, or cannot gain a Retainer.

I believe that if the penalty involves both money and items, the chance of him actually paying something is greater.

Tough, as you suggest, adding a penalty that the player can't get rid of it, is necessary to stop the "take all I got because I will lose everything next turn". Maybe nullifying the Dealer ability?

Matthew: His failure condition should read if he's driven insane or knocked unconscious. I know Mark's failure says if he's reduced to zero sanity, but the rest of those conditions always refer to being driven insane or knocked unconscious, and I personally like that phrasing better.

Changed!

Again, nice job.

Brian

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the matter of the penalty for failure for the Jonathan's personal story is I'm considering this:

Jonathan is delayed and loses at least, if possible, $6 worth of money and/or items - no refunds. If he cannot pay the value of at least $6, Jonathan must pay what he can and then is Cursed.

How does this sound?

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:
In the matter of the penalty for failure for the Jonathan's personal story is I'm considering this:

Jonathan is delayed and loses at least, if possible, $6 worth of money and/or items - no refunds. If he cannot pay the value of at least $6, Jonathan must pay what he can and then is Cursed.

How does this sound?

Regards,

I like it. It prevents him from just getting rid of everything before failure. If he has a gate trophy or monsters, it would also force him to decide whether to take the curse, spending the trophies, or ditch the money and items.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:

How does this sound?

Regards,

I like it. It prevents him from just getting rid of everything before failure. If he has a gate trophy or monsters, it would also force him to decide whether to take the curse, spending the trophies, or ditch the money and items.

Brian

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.