Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just was wondering if anyone (especially Adam or Dan) could clarify a couple points I'd like to use to update the missed rules/FAQ thread.

1) In order to gain a new skill (with no previous skills of that 'class'), does it have to be that numbered dojo card exactly? Or can it be modified by a kicker? I'd almost rule that it might be legal since you're having to throw away two dojo cards (or more if you use multiple kickers) which gets pretty pricey. Again, I know that skills cannot be used to modify skill-obtaining cards this way, but I'm not sure about using a 3/kicker.

2) Can you use a kicker or other card-modifying skill along with tactics (allows you to act as though you played a 2 or 4)? This came up in our last session and I was unsure. The wording seems to potentially allow it, but in my mind it makes a skill that is arguably the best in the bunch seem really overpowered.

3) This is purely a design/flavour question to the designers. The theme of the three skill classes are well done. The Snake deals with stealth and subterfuge, the Tiger is all about strength, and the Crane is in the middle, promoting flexibility and adaptability; go with the flow. The numbers and skills all tend to reflect this with one weird exception. We were looking over the three disguise skills and the Tiger and Crane ones require a 3 and 4 to be spent respectively. I wonder if this was an error of some kind (meant to be a cost of 3 for the Crane and 4 for the Tiger?), since the Snake requires a 2. It doesn't really affect the game in any way, but it made us curious the last time we played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested in hearing the discussion on these points as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkeyman wrote:
1) In order to gain a new skill (with no previous skills of that 'class'), does it have to be that numbered dojo card exactly? Or can it be modified by a kicker?

It has to be a numbered card exactly.

Quote:
2) Can you use a kicker or other card-modifying skill along with tactics (allows you to act as though you played a 2 or 4)?

Yes. You can use a modifying kicker and/or another skill to modify the tactics skill.

Quote:
3) We were looking over the three disguise skills and the Tiger and Crane ones require a 3 and 4 to be spent respectively. I wonder if this was an error of some kind (meant to be a cost of 3 for the Crane and 4 for the Tiger?), since the Snake requires a 2. It doesn't really affect the game in any way, but it made us curious the last time we played.

I was looking across all the skills and trying to balance which cards are needed for the entire skill class. If you look at it that way, Snake and Tiger are perfectly aligned and opposite. Crane is a bit strange - since it has one more skill - and so is unbalanced. That and the fact I wanted the last 3 skills to all be different values. Anyhow, it ended up as you see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
Monkeyman wrote:
1) In order to gain a new skill (with no previous skills of that 'class'), does it have to be that numbered dojo card exactly? Or can it be modified by a kicker?

It has to be a numbered card exactly.

Quote:
2) Can you use a kicker or other card-modifying skill along with tactics (allows you to act as though you played a 2 or 4)?

Yes. You can use a modifying kicker and/or another skill to modify the tactics skill.

Quote:
3) We were looking over the three disguise skills and the Tiger and Crane ones require a 3 and 4 to be spent respectively. I wonder if this was an error of some kind (meant to be a cost of 3 for the Crane and 4 for the Tiger?), since the Snake requires a 2. It doesn't really affect the game in any way, but it made us curious the last time we played.

I was looking across all the skills and trying to balance which cards are needed for the entire skill class. If you look at it that way, Snake and Tiger are perfectly aligned and opposite. Crane is a bit strange - since it has one more skill - and so is unbalanced. That and the fact I wanted the last 3 skills to all be different values. Anyhow, it ended up as you see it.

Thanks for the answers Adam, I'll update the list. Boy, I definitely can't see anyone not taking Tactics as the skill of choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkeyman wrote:
Thanks for the answers Adam, I'll update the list. Boy, I definitely can't see anyone not taking Tactics as the skill of choice!

It's definitely nice to have an extra "card", since it's so easy to be forced to retreat simply because you don't have enough material in hand. But it's also a kind of bad card, and you can get in a situation where you'd need another skill or a kicker to make it useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
Monkeyman wrote:

It's definitely nice to have an extra "card", since it's so easy to be forced to retreat simply because you don't have enough material in hand. But it's also a kind of bad card, and you can get in a situation where you'd need another skill or a kicker to make it useful.

True, but I see it as being really powerful if you get it early on; it can mean an extra card in hand (that can also be one of two cards) every turn for the rest of the game. In a game that feels like you're always short on cards, that is a big boost. God help the other players if you manage to get both copies....

I just sort of hoped you would at least be limited in using kickers or card-modifying skills with it, which amps it up to an even higher level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Andrews
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we need to play again Jason - this time I get to modify my TACTICS skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got both in my last game but was unlucky enough to keep drawing 'bad' guardians - and not having any modifiers the 2/4 skill cards - although good - couldn't help me.

One of us used a -2 skill twice on the same dojo card in a fight as he also had that skill that lets you use another skill again during the same round. Is this a legal play? ie: reduced a 3 dojo card to -1 by using the -2 twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tzutzy wrote:
One of us used a -2 skill twice on the same dojo card in a fight as he also had that skill that lets you use another skill again during the same round. Is this a legal play? ie: reduced a 3 dojo card to -1 by using the -2 twice.

Yes, that is allowed. One of the designers confirmed that here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/716743/rules-questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.