Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amazing! I've been following the conversation about the horrible card quality of the cards in Mage Knight (which I agree with) and had to mention the amazing cards in this game. They are fairly thin and very 'bendy' but the quality of the clear coat makes this an advantage. They are very easy to shuffle and are bomb proof. They have become my favourite cards (in the hundreds of games I own).
Excellent work LBG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will extend Jeff's thanks.

He's done a lot of work on that, and I've seen him answer folks' questions by intentionally abusing the cards in various ways that make me feel a little like scratching nails on a blackboard to watch... and yet the coating handles the treatment.

(Lawyers force me to say that this statement in now way encourages anyone to intentionally abuse their cards in order to see "how much will they take?")

But the cards are pretty special. I'm in that "sleeve it if you play it a lot" club but have held off on any cards from LBG. My "Brawling Battleships" cards have been around for over 7 years and lots of different hands using them and still feel new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, I'm an obsessive card sleever and had every intention of sleeving these cards....until I handled them. The only cards I own that would be made worse by sleeving them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Colapietro
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My number one concern with shelling out the cash for this system was the quality of the cards and the terrain tiles. A lot of focus is on the quality of the minis, but I have painted minis for a long time and figured I could fix anything I didn't like in the paint jobs (turned out to be unnecessary), but I can't do anything about the card quality or the tiles.

I refuse to sleeve cards - cards are meant to be handled and shuffled. The current trend in games seems to be to print cheap cards with the expectation that the consumer will go ahead and sleeve them (ahem, FFG). As the SMG cards are printed 'on-demand' I assumed the card quality would be suspect. As noted by the OP, these cards are great - they shuffle well and feel nice. I am pleased.

The one thing I don't see mentioned often is the quality of the landscape tiles. I was most worried about these - cardboard 'puzzle-piece' tiles are notoriously hard to get right between getting the dies to match, and the cardboard curling up, and this can ruin a game like this. To my surprise, the tiles were laser-cut from wood particle board (or some such material), same as the soldier bases. The tiles fit together like a dream, stay flat, and the printed surface is coated with a similar magic substance that can be wiped clean with a slightly damp cloth.

I will always be willing to pay more for quality, especially for a game that I think will get a lot of play. They really delivered with SMG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Chris,
You are absolutely correct about the tiles (and cards). I was amazed at the coating that is used on these and it has already saved me having to have pieces ruined!

The tiles are fabulous in the precision cut and ability to connect. I have not once had any problems either connecting or disconnecting them.

-Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.