Recommend
32 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Troyes» Forums » General

Subject: Troyes Solo Rules -- Printable! And in English! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Pyuredeadbrilliant [+] [View All]
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's completely because of this website (and mostly just this forum) that I even own Troyes right now (or even heard of it in the first place).

As a way to give back, I've converted the "official" French solo instructions into an English version, with the help of Maankin's translation (found here: Re: Fun Little Solitaire Variant). I figured this way it'd be a nice sheet to print out and keep inside the box with the regular instructions.

Before posting it here, I sent messages to Alain Orban, Sébastien Dujardin, and Maankin (for heavily relying on his translation). Each of them were fine with what I did, and gave their permission for posting it.

Edit: the file was approved and can now be found here as a PDF...

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/73801/troyes-solo-rules-en...

...or viewed below as separate images.





If you notice any errors or have suggestions for other changes, just post them here and I'll update the PDF over time.

19 
 Thumb up
7.36
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyuredeadbrilliant

Jim...... mb
Est. 1949

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The PDF is now available in the files section. A link can be found in the first post.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for compiling the solo rules into a nice sheet. I've been meaning to print it from the forum but kept waiting for any final change. I guess the rule is really in it's final state now.

Thanks again!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be a version 1.1 of the french rules, anyone know if there have been any necessary updates there?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried it with the Ladies expansion?

IMO, adding one purple die to Le Roy and to the player doesn't change much (you have to make the purple as valuable as the red ones for Le Roy).

Playing with 9 characters is somehow more challenging. However, if you tried to add citizens to the buildings, you can score the same or even win with Le Roy when one of the Ladies is revealed. Maybe it's better to choose only 6 out of 9?

Using outdoor activities is no good for now. It would require an additional activity for Le Roy. Besides, he can't use his tradesmen to earn profits from cards. The same would be true for outdoor activities, wouldn't it?

New cards - most don't ruin the balance. However, I'm concerned about the cards such as the Princess or the Hermit. You have a considerable advantage if such a card appears (e.g. you can easily earn 18 VP with the Hermit).

Ant thoughts?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the character cards supposed to be face up? I don't understand the significance of playing them so that the bottom of each card is visible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkhaos wrote:
Are the character cards supposed to be face up? I don't understand the significance of playing them so that the bottom of each card is visible.


Yes, face up. It's so you know which ones are coming and when, so you can adjust your play towards them.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
mvkhaos wrote:
Are the character cards supposed to be face up? I don't understand the significance of playing them so that the bottom of each card is visible.


Yes, face up. It's so you know which ones are coming and when, so you can adjust your play towards them.


Thanks, that makes a lot of sense!

Another thing I didn't realize is that you score all of the unused character cards at the end. I thought it would be more or less random which ones came up, and thought that was kind of lame. I think I'll give this variant another play through tonight now that I understand the rules better.

Another thing I've been wondering about -- I take that I'm supposed to track LeRoy's deniers and influence like any other player? What happens if, as happened to me last night, I roll "6" over and over again for his action, and he keeps filling up tradesman spaces even though he doesn't have sufficient influence to buy another meeple?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkhaos wrote:

Another thing I've been wondering about -- I take that I'm supposed to track LeRoy's deniers and influence like any other player? What happens if, as happened to me last night, I roll "6" over and over again for his action, and he keeps filling up tradesman spaces even though he doesn't have sufficient influence to buy another meeple?


Le Roy plays without deniers and influence (check the beginning of the rules before "Initial Placement" section), so he can place a worker each time you "roll" this event. You don't have to track him - Le Roy is the owner of the Bank and has a maximum influence at all times. However, remember that he can't score for influence and money rewarding characters.

As for rolling a 6 after 6, that's annoying. I hate it when he does a troublesome action (placing new workers, citizens or buying your dice) two or three times in a row.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great variant!

One question: Does Le Roy get penalized at the end of the game for not having a cube in a cathedral row?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
Great variant!

One question: Does Le Roy get penalized at the end of the game for not having a cube in a cathedral row?


IMO, the answer is yes. There's no reason for the opposite interpretation.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:
Great variant!

One question: Does Le Roy get penalized at the end of the game for not having a cube in a cathedral row?


IMO, the answer is yes. There's no reason for the opposite interpretation.


Thank you! Another question:

If an event has Le Roy push his "neutral" worker into a building in such a way that it would displace his own worker, do you bother to resolve the event? Doing so does hurt the player, since his displaced meeple keeps you from performing that action yourself that turn. But the rules say "Negative events do not affect Le Roy," so that might be an argument for not resolving that event in the first place.

By the way, have you come to any further conclusions about playing this variant with Ladies? I'm thinking of getting the expansion if only for the new activity cards, and am curious about your experience.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:

If an event has Le Roy push his "neutral" worker into a building in such a way that it would displace his own worker, do you bother to resolve the event? Doing so does hurt the player, since his displaced meeple keeps you from performing that action yourself that turn. But the rules say "Negative events do not affect Le Roy," so that might be an argument for not resolving that event in the first place.


Yes, negative events do not affect Le Roy. However, the next sentence says that whenever you have an event that implies neutral player, this event implies Le Roy, his workers and cubes. So you should place a citizen, expel another royal meeple and prepare for trouble. This event actually helps Le Roy, so it shouldn't be avoided IMO.

Wretched Git wrote:

By the way, have you come to any further conclusions about playing this variant with Ladies? I'm thinking of getting the expansion if only for the new activity cards, and am curious about your experience.


If you play with someone, I recommend getting the Ladies. New event cards really refresh the game. I didn't have problems using them in a solitaire game (Le Roy can't use the powers of the cards). However, one card type from the Ladies is pretty incompatible here: the actions delayed until the end of the game. These cards let you 'cheat' and get a lot of points without trouble (e.g. you can earn 8VP for the Hermit plus 2VP for the tradesman, and Le Roy won't do anything about it). They make sense only when used against a human opponent, so I usually skip them. Luckily, there are only 3 such cards.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for your help. I think I will get Ladies, even though I can't get either my gaming friend or my wife interested in Troyes.

So given the "no negative events affecting Le Roy" rule, does that mean the "Interruption of Work" event should not remove a cube if it happens to be Le Roy's?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:

So given the "no negative events affecting Le Roy" rule, does that mean the "Interruption of Work" event should not remove a cube if it happens to be Le Roy's?


That's my interpretation of "the negative events can't affect Le Roy" as well. I hope it's correct. One can also argue that Le Roy ignores events when money or influence are lost, but it would be redundant, since it's stated at the beginning that Le Roy plays without money and influence. Have fun with the Ladies and don't give up. It's a difficult game, and you have to put some effort into convincing someone into playing it. You can always try playing online on Board Game Arena (however, Ladies are not included there).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:
You can always try playing online on Board Game Arena (however, Ladies are not included there).


So sexist...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for providing this! Looking forward to trying this out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.