Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Custom Scenario Printing - Help Please! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recently attempted to print StormKnights solo game 'Bad Spirits'. Using normal print paper and laminating, the cards were really dodgy and fell apart quickly due to the laminating coming apart.

Then I attempted using photo paper. This was good, but when i attempted to print on the back of the photo paper (for the back of the cards), the ink was smudgy and it just didn't work.

What sort of paper is best?

Any reply is appreciated! If you don’t know, maybe you have a good forum or website that i could check out?
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen McTeague
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have my copy of Mansions sleeved, so when I print out custom scenarios, I cut out the cards and slip them in the sleeves of other scenarios. I currently have Classroom Curses and Silver Tablet covered up with fan-made scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Iammars wrote:
I have my copy of Mansions sleeved, so when I print out custom scenarios, I cut out the cards and slip them in the sleeves of other scenarios.

How do card sleeves work? Wouldn’t the cards be thicker, slippery and shiny? They'd look laminated wouldn’t they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen McTeague
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The cards are in fact thicker, which IMO is an advantage because the cards are easier to pick up off the table. Sure, they're a bit shiny, but not by much. And the new sleeves are sometime slippery, but you're never shuffling whole decks of cards in MoM, so the only time the slippery might matter is when you're initially setting up the scenario, and really only for the first game or so.
I don't think they look laminated, but then again, I'm an M:tG player and I compulsively sleeve everything, so it may be that I'm just used to the look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Iammars wrote:
The cards are in fact thicker, which IMO is an advantage because the cards are easier to pick up off the table. Sure, they're a bit shiny, but not by much. And the new sleeves are sometime slippery, but you're never shuffling whole decks of cards in MoM, so the only time the slippery might matter is when you're initially setting up the scenario, and really only for the first game or so.
I don't think they look laminated, but then again, I'm an M:tG player and I compulsively sleeve everything, so it may be that I'm just used to the look.

So if I sleeved some cards, but left the other cards un-sleeved and shuffled them together, would it be obvious to tell what ones are sleeved? If so, wouldn't that wreck some of MoM's mystery?

For instance. Using a custom scenario:
The investigator see's that there is a sleeved card among some other non-sleeved cards in a room. The only cards that are sleeved are the ones that have been printed for the custom scenario. They automatically know that these must be important, so they head there.

In order to properly play with sleeved cards, do you have to sleeve every single card there?

I'm just a little confused :S Your comments are very helpful though! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Matt09 wrote:
Iammars wrote:

So if I sleeved some cards, but left the other cards un-sleeved and shuffled them together, would it be obvious to tell what ones are sleeved? If so, wouldn't that wreck some of MoM's mystery?

For instance. Using a custom scenario:
The investigator see's that there is a sleeved card among some other non-sleeved cards in a room. The only cards that are sleeved are the ones that have been printed for the custom scenario. They automatically know that these must be important, so they head there.

In order to properly play with sleeved cards, do you have to sleeve every single card there?

Yes, sleeving all the cards (of the appropriate type) would be sensible.

Let me ask you this. For this scenario, you created some new Exploration cards and laminated them. Wasn't it obvious which were the new cards when you shuffled them in with the others?

Sleeving all the Exploration cards makes it less obvious which are the new cards. If fact, what I would do is just print the front of the new Exploration cards and slip them into a sleeve with some unneeded "Nothing of Interest" cards. At least that way, from the back you wouldn't be able to tell if it was one of the new cards. The new cards would be thicker (because they would have a card and the newly printed Clue card inside) but in a pile of cards it may not be so obvious that it is thicker. You can get around this but it requires a lot more effect (you would need to scan and print "dummy" Exploration cards so all of them would be the same thickness).

In this scenario, it seems you would only need to sleeve the Exploration cards, I don't think you need to sleeve the Event or Objective cards.

For protoypes such as this, I would also recommend sleeving cards as it really is the best way to go. Find some decent low cost standard size sleeves such as those produced by Mayday (41mm x 63mm Mini USA size).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james caballero
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could also just use a really nice, high-quality heavier weight cardstock. You can find it at any stationary store or craft store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.