Michael Stachiw
United States
Bayonne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the big fans of Castle Ravenloft in our gaming group and going to be picking up Ashardalon & Drizzt soon. I understand that the adventure books aren't available as pdf so wanted general feedback from those who've had experience with these stand alone expansions.

How many co-op scenarios are in the Ashardalon & Drizzt Adventure book?

What is the campaign system like?
Do you like it or prefer starting fresh each scenario?
Is there anything to counterbalance your character from being overpowered after multiple sessions?

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about Drizzt, but in Ashardalon the campaign system consists of using the same characters and repeating a quest over and over (with a different end boss), keeping the treasure and getting to buy some more treasure between each quest. When playing the campaign, the treasure draws for each defeated monster are replaced with drawing tokens that usually give gold that you use to buy treasures between games, though they will occasionally give an actual treasure as well.

One of the campaigns lasts 3 games, one lasts 13 or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the Ashardalon scenarios are coop, so about 11 adventures plus the 3 released online which combine with CR, plus the campaign rules, which effectively give you enormous replayability.
Drizzt has a couple of fairly ambitious but badly balanced competitive adventures but mostly coop - about 8 scenarios there.
The WOA campaign system (not available in LOD) is very bare bones but works quite nicely and we've developed a more fleshed out version. I like it. It's also nice for just playing 2 or 3 adventures in one sitting without rolling over into a massive campaign, although that's an option.
To counter balance your character becoming overpowered the WOA campaign rules simply say to draw twice as many encounters, which doesn't scale very well at all.
So if you want a bunch of campaign mods with between adventure events etc check here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/631831/ninjadorgs-dd-adventu...

Either way if you loved CR you'll love these as well, more of the same but tons of variation in heroes, monsters, encounters, treasures, scenarios, etc. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ash is a lot like CR, with minor variations in Monster tactics, the treasures are all items, and there's a few new things like Chambers, but for the most part it's a lot of "more of the same". All 13 Adventures are co-op, etc.

Drizzt adds quite a few new mechanics that give the game a fresh feel. One, the Heroes are completely different. New mechanics involving stances, Allies, more powerful in general, etc. And there's 8 heroes, not 5. The tiles are different, better art, some with permanent affects. The Treasures are about the same, the monsters too, but the Adventures are very different. Not only normal co-op ones, but PVP ones as well.

Overall, I feel Drizzt is the better of the two.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
The WOA campaign system (not available in LOD) is very bare bones but works quite nicely and we've developed a more fleshed out version. I like it.

Do you mean that there are no printed instructions in the box for LOD regarding campaigns or that LOD is incapable of using WOA campaign rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetworks wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
The WOA campaign system (not available in LOD) is very bare bones but works quite nicely and we've developed a more fleshed out version. I like it.

Do you mean that there are no printed instructions in the box for LOD regarding campaigns or that LOD is incapable of using WOA campaign rules?

There are no printed instructions in the box for LOD regarding campaigns. If you have WOA too you can still use the WOA campaign rules. Although your LOD heroes will become even more powerful much more quickly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.