Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Does Anyone Else Play "Iron Man" Style? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As I read the threads, I see a lot of house rules along the lines of "draw two or three, choose one" when it comes to things like race selection or secret objectives. In my group the norm is to deal out the cards and take what you get, and people seem fairly happy with that. I was wondering if anyone else plays "iron man" robot style, or is it more usual to create a cushion against randomness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to deal one & play it. But when it takes awhile to get people together, you tend to want to play something different, to try the other races out, rather then randomly get dealt the same race again.

It happens more often then you would think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Given how important the objectives are and the incredible length of the game, I'd rather you had a decent objective than one you thought foolishly hopeless to try for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike excessive randomness. As one above poster also stated, most of our group wants to play a different race every time, so we give some choices. I'll echo what was said above as well, since this game is such a huge investment of time (though well worth it in my opinion, it's my favorite game!), getting an SO that's possible to achieve given one's race / system / other factors, is pretty darn important to a positive game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Harmon
msg tools
Me and my friends have use a draft system which we find really fun and a good way to build tension before the game starts - a second minigame to go along with galaxy building (which we also always do).

Round 1.

Everyone draws a race from the remaining races at random.
After all six players have drawn announce if you are holding your race or passing.
If you hold, play the race.
If you pass, discard the race and enter round 2. Noone will play it this game.

Round 2.
Players who passed in round 1 draw a race from the remaining races.
Announce if you will pass or hold. Players who hold play the race drawn. Players who pass enter round 3.

Round 3.
Players who are still drawing draw a race. You are playing this race UNLESS you draw the race you played in the very last game in which case discard and draw one last time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
i7dealer wrote:
Given how important the objectives are and the incredible length of the game, I'd rather you had a decent objective than one you thought foolishly hopeless to try for.

Ditto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Snyder
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play Ironman-style. And what you describe isn't Ironman. When someone destroys a ship, we destroy a ship.

Those warsuns are tougher than they look...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
With Race I like giving people some options. It sucks when you get sol for like the 3rd game in a row. So we randomize the order and you get 3 random races to choose. Shuffle in the rejects and rinse and repeat. I like this because you have a choice of what to play, but may not get the power races in your mix.

For secrets it is usually you get what you get but we take merciless out of the mix. (It sucks to play against and is considerably harder than the others). That being said, with shards in and the use of prelim, I like draw 2 and choose one. The reason is that you 1, are a few turns behind that normal, and 2 you may have to go 180 degrees from where your prelim took you to score it.

Finally for political cards; (this is the really key one IMHO) I feel that most of the cards in the deck are next to worthless or completely situational, in that they could be devastating or have no impact depending on the game. So I like the player seeing more cards so that the voting matters, else most of the votes are a quick around the table cuz everyone votes for since it is irrelevant.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mark I grey armor was too clumsy and kept knocking over the board, and none of us can afford the flight capable armor, so we agreed Iron Man style was a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cohen
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, we keep Merciless in and kick out Regulator as being too hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
For race selection we draw three choose one.

For secret objectives, well we play with preliminary objectives now.
Preliminary are never too hard to force a redraw.
When you draw your secret, it would be way too easy to do anything like draw two pick the easiest because the board is already engaged by that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Murphy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do race selection using bonus Trade Goods:

Pick 1 - 0 Bonus TG,
Draw 3 - 2 Bonus TG,
Draw 2 - 3 Bonus TG,
Draw 1 - 4 Bonus TG.

We scrapped the imbalanced Secret Objectives in favor of Racial Objectives:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/73198/updated-racial-o...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very interesting.

The amount of randomness involved in just playing what you're dealt doesn't bother me for a couple of reasons. Number one, I think handing out races and objectives at random helps smooth out some of the imbalances in the game. A lot of people seem to believe the Yssaril (to pick one example) are unbeatable for someone who has the perfect plan to use them. I don't know about that, but if you deal out races at random and use both expansions, the guy with "the perfect plan" only has a 1-in-17 chance of getting the Yssaril. Heck, there's less than a 50% chance the Yssaril will be in any given game at all, even with eight players. When you start handing out two and three races and objectives to everyone and letting them pick, you double or triple the chances of the allegedly unbalanced races and objectives appearing. Not a criticism, just an observation. Number two, the randomness rarely if ever favors one person. That's why they call it "random." So overall I feel it evens out in the long run, or even the medium run. And if some guy gets lucky and has a really good night with the cards and dice because all his stars are aligned or whatever, I feel life is too short and fundamentally sad to begrudge him that. Lady Luck will be on your side next time, or the time after that. That's just the way it goes.

But that's just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Griffith
United States
Ozark
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as race selection goes, we usually do a first come first serve or roll to see who picks first. You can pick whoever you want so long as you haven't played them before. If you're playing with all the expansions, even if you pick last in a six player game, there will still be 12 races left to choose from. This way every game is different, and no one can bogart a particular race or get stuck with a race they don't want to play. Eventually we will just start doing random races, but I think this works best for the first few games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pseudo nym
msg tools
Our group started out with the deal 3 races pick one(we only had 8 players once). Mostly because we wanted to make sure we had new races to try every time (though some picked their favorites). But since I learned what Absolute Zero's group does its our new fav. Deal 2 return one to the pool. Deal 1. We liked that one player wont get a "stacked" hand, and keep some races out of the game. We would also deal out 2 SO's, but now that I see the racial objectives I'll be pushing that. Looks awesome, thanks for the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just pick what race we want to play. Sometimes we deal 3 each and pick one.

For SOs, I agree with Malloc. We have mostly just taken what is dealt, but recently we have dealt two and drawn one. I think that if you are NOT playing with Preliminary Objectives then you can just deal one SO each - you can plan for it from the start.

If playing with POs then you will receive your SO part way through the game and there is much more luck in getting a SO that happens to match with what you have already done, so I think dealing two and choosing one is better.

We remove some of the really lame SOs, like controlling the wormholes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Volevodz
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the games where I play everyone takes two preluminaries and picks one, same with secret objectives. We rarely play and some of the objectives are really lame (there is one preluminary that tells you to kill 3 cruisers, and in our games it is not going to happen, nobody ever builds any cruisers, maybe 1 or two, but three? nope).
Same for secret objectives, control all systems around mecathol rex, really? Or kill all space docks in one turn? Yeah right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.