Chaos in the Old World» Forums » General

Subject: anything like this but for two players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
This game looks amazing, but I typically just play games with one other person... is there anything like this that is for two players? There's no two player variant of CitOW is there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like this you might want to have a look into War of the Ring, the theme is obviously not the same, but in case you don't know it, it uses a really cool dice action allowance system. This game is for two players, each player with their very own special card decks and all the cards have double usability as either event or battle card, so players will always have a choice.

What I like most though is the different aims for the two players, the Free People either win the game via military victory conquering 4 victory points, or win the game by destroying The One Ring.

The Shadow player wins either via military victory (10 VPs) or by corrupting the Ring-bearer.

the game is asymmetric (just as in CitOW) and each player must explore very different strategies. Brilliant game.

Although it says that the game is for 2-4 players, that's only for marketing reasons since the game is so big (and relative expenisve), but in fact it is a pure luxurious 2-player game! It's the best way to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Crumb Sheik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess you could play CitOW controlling 2 gods each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Augusto Marques
Brazil
Guara II
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
play Red x Blue or Green x Purple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World is unlike any game I can think of (and I can think of a lot). So I might suggest you go get it and find two more players because it is a great game. However if you are interested in an asymmetrical game for two then I recommend ...

Stronghold ... Orcs, goblins, and trolls attack a human stronghold. Very cool game.

Good luck in your quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Overhamsteren wrote:
Guess you could play CitOW controlling 2 gods each.

I guess this is not meant too seriously but let's make very clear for those who don't know the game that the experience you would get from this is NOTHING like with 4 players - bordering on (if not) being unplayable/broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends, what specific parts of the game make it look "amazing" to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to derail, but I've been thinking that CotOW could be made into an awesome 2 player game, if FFG but the effort into it. You might need a new map and new cards, but a modified Korne vs. Nurgle battle or something similar could be very cool if the game were redesigned with 2 p in mind.

To help answer your question, I agree it would be helpful to know what aspects of Chaos appeal to you, because there's nothing exactly like it for 2p! Is it the asymmetric nature of the battle, or is it the combat mixed with area majority, for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
Depends, what specific parts of the game make it look "amazing" to you?

Well, the main things that appeal are the multiple paths to victory, asymmetrical factions, whole concept of the threat dials being so different for each faction and having victory conditions and upgrades tied to it, area control, replayability and relatively short game length.

The only thing that doesn't work for me is the number of players being set at 4 (or 5 with the expansion).

Other suggestions in here were for war of the ring (unfortunately too long for me at 3 hours) and stronghold (which I'm pretty interested in based on the different in playing attacker/defender but it might be a bit heavy on complexity for my regular gaming partner).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
haqattaqq wrote:
Other suggestions in here were for war of the ring (unfortunately too long for me at 3 hours) and stronghold (which I'm pretty interested in based on the different in playing attacker/defender but it might be a bit heavy on complexity for my regular gaming partner).

If you know the rules and played it a few times, you can play it in about 2 hours. But it's an investment that you have to be willing to do.

I also agree that Stronghold might be an excellent alternative according to your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kaden sze
Canada
flag msg tools
people like Chaos in the World, mainly because of the miniatures, the theme and asymmetrical powers. Well, for 2 players, try DUNGEON TWISTER PRISON, BATTLELORE 2nd Edition, and MAGESTORM. They come with big miniatures, target for 2 players, and contains different powers for different races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9625/struggle-of-empires

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb
haqattaqq wrote:
Well, the main things that appeal are the multiple paths to victory, asymmetrical factions, whole concept of the threat dials being so different for each faction and having victory conditions and upgrades tied to it, area control, replayability and relatively short game length.

It's fairly hard to find a game with such a variety of win conditions for two players, mainly because for a two player game, either it's a race (for the same or different goals), or direct combat. FFG Civilization, for example, include a number of different victory conditions and so four different players can all go for different conditions (military, econ, tech, culture etc). But with 2 players, why have 4 metrics?

I think Stronghold is probably your best bet for asymmetrical factions and win conditions, with area control. It is not what I consider short though (at least 2 hours). And as CitOW isn't meant to be a direct conflict game, I wouldn't suggest wargames like Battlelore or Command+Colors.

You might want to consider something like Netrunner. I admit that at first blush, it's a stretch... it doesn't have area control, a map, minis etc. But consider that you want asymmetric, fast gameplay with replayability, and multiple paths of victory. You get some feeling of upgrades with Corp Assets and Runner Programs, not much, but CitOW isn't really upgrade heavy either. The cat and mouse game is very unique though, and it is completely different to play Corp instead of Runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Zombie thread rises from the grave once again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.