Subject: NEW..... THE CHUMP GAME! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominic Addario
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hi Gamers,

Please take a look at the link below: I am an undersea explorer who is attempting to share the adventure and intrigue of a genuine 21st century treasure hunt with the gaming community. I am not a professional game designer but I am "walking the walk" when it comes to being a 21st century
american privateer.... Please let me know through kickstarter what you may think of my concept...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1786028604/the-chump-gam...

Thanks
Capt dom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some quick, honest feedback:

Hate the name. Yes, hate. It doesn't convey what the game is about, and just sounds unpleasant. You also use the term several times but don't define it (I suspect I know the meaning but am not certain).

With spinners and random event cards, it sounds like this game might be a lighter "roll and move" game, as opposed to a strategic game that most BGG folks prefer. It would help if your description were more clear on that aspect.

Using the word "chums" in a description of a game whose name includes "Chump" is distracting.

Several paragraphs aren't quite correct English. The "To Win" paragraph is particularly difficult for me to parse.

$75 to get a copy of the game sounds high. I would at least want an idea of the components (and their quality) before signing up.

Personally, I won't back a game on kickstarter unless it already has a working prototype. The prototype can be ugly, and the rules can be extremely rough. But I want to see that it's an actual *game* as opposed to an *idea* for a game. From what you have posted so far, I can't tell. I know not everyone shares my stance.

The theme seems promising.

I wish you success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Problematic. You don't see the irony of offering "treasure" as a promo for a game about people getting duped out of treasure? And calling the game "the chump game," almost as if daring an investor to think "am I a chump for buying this?" A classic example is an insurance salesman who gave away suckers as a promotional to anyone who bought from him...

From a user with only one post and a very ambiguous kickstarter page, I'm not saying it's a scam but isn't there anything you can do to make it seem less scam-like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend looking at some games that have been successful on Kickstarter. I think you have some good ideas, but they're either not fully conveyed, or not quite ready for the Kickstarter phase. Really, for a game to be successful on Kickstarter, it needs to be a lot more than just an idea.

Anyway, here is a link to the most successful Kickstarter games:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/72943/item/1944048#item194...

You can look up their Kickstarter pages by plugging in the game names into the Kickstarter search bar. Looking at the successful Kickstarter campaigns may give you a better idea of how to present your game.

Also, here is link to all of the games that have been attempted through Kickstarter. There is a lot of competition for funding (albeit there is also a lot of money being thrown around):
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/59640/boardgame-kickstarte...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Addario
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thank you for the quick and honest feedback.

The name choice was a calculated risk. The game's concept started out as a satirical poke at all the not-for-profit folks, public agencies and other miss-informed folks who are against private enterprise or the common man being involved with the process of undersea exploration.

CHUMS is an achromatic for Coastal Historic Undersea Management Society.
CHUMPS would be for a coastal historic undersea management program.... most of which actually turn out to be scams or unproductive efforts.

As one progresses in the game it soon becomes apparent that instead of being rewarded for almost finding treasure - they may end up becoming modern day victims of the shipwreck! Kickstarter does not approve of "message" oriented projects and frankly - this game concept is definitively "message oriented". My goal was and still is to educate creative individuals of how they are being duped and their individual rights to be involved with the process of exploration are being trampled by a narrow interest group of miss-guided public funded archaeologists whose only real interests are to protect their own job security.

Using the concept and background of the pursuit of a "sunken treasure" and a gaming format can make a distasteful education about actual cultural resource management more palatable.

I really do appreciate your feedback and will act upon it- even if there is a slight level of interest in my concept. What I really need is a REAL GAME DESIGNER to help me make this game happen - if its concept is actually marketable....

Thanks Again

Capt Dom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Addario
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thank you for the feedback.
That was what I did!

Please take a look my reply to Kevin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Addario
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
You are a QUICK STUDY!

That is exactly how this whole concept started out! Over 20 years ago I originally started a not-for-profit corporation called CHUMS as an actual satire of the archaeological community attempting to convince me to deed over title or management / ownership of this historic shipwreck to a not-for-profit entity. These criminals in public employ actually told me they didn't care if we paid ourselves $500,000.00 a year in director's salaries they just didn't want the private sector in charge of the process!

Most treasure shipwrecks are actually along the coast... some of them are actually historic... They are under water or the undersea.... Yes... they should be managed.....

but the big question is by who??? Hense I came up with CHUMS, which can be defined as a group of friends with similar interests...

Take a look at: http://jupitercoins.com/CHUMS.html

for more information about CHUMS.

Back them I figured one would have to actually be a CHUMP to want to donate or give me money to hang around in the tropics while diving for sunken treasure! Then - with too much time on my hands I started to think! A fund raising program....

About giving treasure for an incentive to help fund the game. This makes perfect sense to me. It is a way of trading value for value. Our coins are made of silver - are both rare and historic and collectable.

We are spoofing all the crooks out there on both sides of the fence
and yet I agree with you that I need to make this more clear
if I am to seek support for this game.

Thank you, again for your input.

Capt Dom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Addario
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
NAME CHANGED!

Thanks for the input!
Nobody wants to be a CHUMP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'll raise my grade of the name from an F to a C+ or maybe B-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.