Michael McNeill
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I'm looking for a board or card game for my parents that plays well with just 2 people (though it's okay if it can accommodate more). They live in another state and have a lot of time to spend with each other. My dad is very logical-minded and enjoys euro and strategic games. He doesn't mind having an element of luck to a game, but gets bored or frustrated if it's all or mostly luck-based. My mom is basically the opposite. She like games with luck and a little strategy mixed, but thinks of games with lots of strategy or planning ahead as more work than fun. She also gets bored if games take much more than an hour to play. So, basically, it needs to be in the middle in terms of luck and strategy. Any recommendations? Non-euro games are okay (I'm the BG geek/snob, not them). High replay value is a must!

Games they have both liked:
Carcassonne
Bohnanza
Dixit
Rummikub
Pit
Life
Mah-Jongg
Scrabble
Cranium
Careers
Five Crowns

Games they haven't liked:
Settlers (too strategic)
Zooloretto
Dominion
Puerto Rico
Munchkin
Set

Thanks in advance!

BZ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will suggest two that my wife and I really enjoy ...

Kingdom Builder ... a little bit of luck, a little bit of strategy, and a lot of fun and replayability. Very easy to learn, fairly short (appx 45 minutes) and quite good.

Kingsburg ... colorful, easy to learn, very clever use of dice for worker placement, and a measure of strategy for good measure.

Good luck in your quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Jaipur
Bhazum
Parade
Batt'l Kha'os
Forbidden Island
Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe my Topology fits for both.
It is logical challanging, but more turn by turn puzzeling instead of thinking ahead a lot of turns.
There is some luck (tile draw) but not to much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they like Carcassonne, may I suggest Mondo. It's a tile-laying games that you play against time. I'm getting this solely to play with my non-gamer family. It plays rather fast as well with only 7 minutes (timer included) per round (you play for 3 rounds). There are also advanced variant for extra replayability.

Apart from that, do they like abstract games? If they do, have a look at Blokus Trigon, or go for Blokus Duo for 2-players game only.

Let us know what you're getting at the end yeah.
Regards

p/s I think, Mondo is not widely available yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boards & Bits have a few copies of Thurn and Taxis left, which though a couple of years old now, is still an excellent game. It's what I'm getting my parents for Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.