Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played the Passage Through Mirkwood scenario solo using the premade tactics deck and was utterly crushed by locations. I had no way to overcome the ever rising threat level in the staging area and no chance to make any progress on the active quest. After a few turns my threat meter sailed passed fifty and it was all over.

Last night I tried again using the core spirit deck. Here is what happened.

First The Favor of the Lady (most beautiful card in the deck) graces Eowyn giving her five willpower. Then the adventure is joined by two Lorien Guides. These three committed to questing each turn yields seven willpower plus two additional progress tokens in every round of questing. Power of the Earth goes to a location in the staging area because why not, further reducing the staging area threat. All this allows us to fly through the quests and locations without ever receiving even one addition to the threat meter.

All the while, Dunhere safely targets enemies in the staging area, chipping away at their health without them getting any chance to retaliate. Our low threat prevents any enemies from ever engaging us before they are dispatched by Dunhere. Our heroes emerge from Mirkwood entirely unscathed.

Finally, Ungoliants Spawn appears. Gandalf the White deals four damage to him and then Stand and Fight brings him back from the discard pile for another four damage. Dunhere gets the finishing blow and it is all over.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jellyfish1 wrote:
I recently played the Passage Through Mirkwood scenario solo using the premade tactics deck and was utterly crushed by locations. I had no way to overcome the ever rising threat level in the staging area and no chance to make any progress on the active quest.
Finally, Ungoliants Spawn appears. Gandalf the White deals four damage to him and then Stand and Fight brings him back from the discard pile for another four damage. Dunhere gets the finishing blow and it is all over.


Sorry to dissapoint, but stand and fight cannot be used to "revive" neutral characters (official FAQs)

Anyhow, the spirit deck is very good at what it does best: questing.

congrats on a good win
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
Sorry to dissapoint, but stand and fight cannot be used to "revive" neutral characters (official FAQs)

I assume this is due to the wording...
"The chosen ally can belong to any sphere of influence"
and neutral allies do not belong to any sphere.
I had a vague suspicion this was the case when I played the card.

The first time I played this scenario I didn't realize I could choose Ungoliants Spawn in response to the scenario instruction to select a spider card from the encounter deck. I kept waiting for him to appear so I could defeat him and fulfill the winning conditions. He was at the bottom of the deck and he never came up. Eventually I lost that game.

So I guess it all evens out in the end.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
jellyfish1 wrote:
So I guess it all evens out in the end.

I'd say so. You played according to the rules as you understood them at the time. Plus, I think many--if not most--players used Stand and Fight in conjunction with Gandalf before FFG issued a clarification for the former. Not FFG's best example of clear wording, to be sure. Unless you've read the FAQ, I don't think anyone would begrudge you that particular mistake.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
this game is very random Jelly. Give Mirkwood a few more shots with just Spirit + 3 Gandalfs.

One game, you'll crush it, The next you're spider poop.

Just keep playin and welcome aboard newuser!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snailien
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Starhawk77 wrote:
jellyfish1 wrote:
So I guess it all evens out in the end.

I'd say so. You played according to the rules as you understood them at the time. Plus, I think many--if not most--players used Stand and Fight in conjunction with Gandalf before FFG issued a clarification for the former. Not FFG's best example of clear wording, to be sure. Unless you've read the FAQ, I don't think anyone would begrudge you that particular mistake.


I wouldn't even consider it a mistake (on a player's part) since the wording isn't really ambiguous. This is an errata that FFG won't admit to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
snailien wrote:

I wouldn't even consider it a mistake (on a player's part) since the wording isn't really ambiguous. This is an errata that FFG won't admit to.

Nailed it in one. An attempt to weaken the overly dominating power of the Spirit deck. Up next: The printers forgot to put the "Restricted" icon on Northern Tracker.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.