18 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: One game played. Still confused about some basics. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Krone
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I hope I can put this into words correctly.
I tend to overcomplify using subsentences.

Here goes:
We played half the game thinking that a player could only play his own superpower cards as OPS during the Action Rounds. We found out that this incorrect. You can choose during the Action Rounds right?
- Either play your own superpower's cards as OPS or play as Event.
- Play your the other superpower's cards as OPS, he plays the Event.
Right so far?

(Alreadt found the answer. That still leaves my second question.)

The reason we were confused is the Headline Phase. Because you already choose an Event here, we were under the impression that this was your only event for the entire turn.
However, what is the goal of creating a Headline Event (what's in it for me?) if you can also play Events during the Action Rounds?

Grtz,
Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the point of the headline phase is to introduce a little uncertainty. You don't know what your opponent will play.

It also forces some card to happen as events. You might have to chose between getting a good card of yours out of the deck or headlining a mediocre card.

It gives the USA some breathing room, the way the defcon/russian couping things R1 situation works out.

Someone who plays it more than me will be along with a better answer!

(And your new understanding of how action rounds work is correct!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The point of the Headline phase is to force each side to play one of their cards as an event, since it is often more beneficial to play your cards for Ops. It also creates and opportunity to shake things up, since it is the first thing that happens after DEFCON rises in a turn. Normally the Soviets always go first, but if the US player plays a headline event of a higher Ops value than his opponent, his event will trigger first.

In short, it is true that you can always play your cards for events instead of for Ops in the action rounds, but in the headline phase you have to play a card for the event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Thomas,

You are right saying that during the action rounds you can choose if you play the event or the OPS on your OWN cards.
With the other superpower's event you can choose ONLY if you play the OPS before the event or after.

The headline is ment to play 1 of your event in such a way that your maximize its usefullniss.

Example:
Playing "containment" as the US in the HL, means you will have 6 or 7 action rounds with a +1ops.

Playing "Bear trap" as the US in the HL, means you will have the first coup in that turn.

Playing "Lone gunman" as the USSR in the HL, means you can see all the US's cards and act on them (Only play LG in turn 7 or later by the way).

Cheers, Haring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Jahr
Germany
Uelsby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:

Normally the Soviets always go first, but if the US player plays a headline event of a higher Ops value than his opponent, his event will trigger first.

Only to clarify:
The US player also goes first if the OP value is equal. This can be quite an advantage to the US player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Krone
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks for these answers.

You've managed to illustrate using flavor/game play reasons and strategic ones quite well. That clarifies greatly.

Would you know if there's a pdf file that has al the cards in it? I would like to keep it handy on the iPad.

Edit: The markers for underlined Events. Where do you put them?
Wouldn't it just be easier to place the card somewhere?
I dunno stick it halfway under the board or somesuch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually just leave the cards out. Your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the rulebook yesterday but never played the game yet blush

I have one question relative to headline phase : does the card played for headline event have to be associated with one side ? For example, does US have to play an US associated event only ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Jahr
Germany
Uelsby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If an event affects a specific country or region I like to put the marker next to it as a reminder. Otherwise I place the card next to the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
I have read the rulebook yesterday but never played the game yet blush

I have one question relative to headline phase : does the card played for headline event have to be associated with one side ? For example, does US have to play an US associated event only ?

No. But if US headlines USSR event, USSR gets to decide how its resolved. US gets to resolve neutral event it headlined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrythesecond
United Kingdom
Camborne
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
A future player sleeps...
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:

No, there is no restriction on whether you play an event of yours or your opponents.

In fact it's entirely possible you could hold NONE of your own Superpower event cards in your hand at the start of a turn! Not a pleasant position to be in...

Regards. Jay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for these answers.

I missed that "note" in italic on page 4 of the rulebook :
Quote:

NOTE: If playing an opponent's event during the Headline phase, your opponent implements the event text as if they had played the card themselves. However, the player of the headline card would be considered the phasing player for purposes of the DEFCON status (see 8.1.3).

Sorry. modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Krone
Netherlands
flag msg tools
weteor wrote:
If an event affects a specific country or region I like to put the marker next to it as a reminder. Otherwise I place the card next to the map.

Good tip. Thnx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomKrone wrote:

Would you know if there's a pdf file that has al the cards in it? I would like to keep it handy on the iPad.

This file: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/46437/twiligh-struggle-car... lists all the cards and has Phillip Thomas' notes on card strategy in it too, I found it very useful when first learning the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
ThomKrone wrote:

This file: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/46437/twiligh-struggle-car... lists all the cards and has Phillip Thomas' notes on card strategy in it too, I found it very useful when first learning the deck.

This file was posted a couple of days ago : http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/73691/ts-important-cards-a...

It seems to be straightforward to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:

This file was posted a couple of days ago : http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/73691/ts-important-cards-a...

It seems to be straightforward to me.

There's one thing you need to take into account, though (experienced players please correct me).

On page 1 it lists a number of DEFCON changing cards, some of which can be really dangerous because they can lower DEFCON to 1 causing the phasing player to lose the game. And then it says:

"1. Some of these in hand + forced discarding ( i.e. with Blockade, Terrorism) = DEFCON 1 "

whereas it clearly states in the rules:

"5.4 When an event forces a player to discard a card, the Event
on the discarded card is not implemented. This rule also applies
to Scoring cards."

Now a card that's really dangerous for you to play at DEFCON 2 is Missile Envy because it says that if your opponent discards a card associated with your superpower, the event is resolved, so if you are the US player and your opponent's highest OP cards include, say, Duck and Cover then if you play Missile Envy, your opponent will simply choose to discard Duck and Cover and this will lower DEFCON to 1 and since you're the phasing player, it will have been your fault and you lose the game.

Blockade, however, says no such thing, so a card is just discarded and the event on it is NOT implemented.

What the author meant (he said so after my question) was that Blockade and Terrorism thin your hand (you're left with fewer cards and are forced to play them all) and if you leave some of the DEFCON lowering cards in your hand, you might be forced to play them and if the event is resolved, you will lose the game if DEFCON is lowered to 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vidra wrote:

The list is rather confusing (experienced players please correct me).

On page 1 it lists a number of DEFCON changing cards, some of which can be really dangerous because they can lower DEFCON to 1 causing the phasing player to lose the game. And then it says:

"1. Some of these in hand + forced discarding ( i.e. with Blockade, Terrorism) = DEFCON 1 "

to Scoring cards."

Some clarification:
The forced discarding means you won't have any cards left at the end of the turn, and won't be able to withold them, thus having to play the defcon-lowering-cards and ending the game.

It is indeed not the event of the discarded card that gives you the problem, it is the event on the card left in your hand that you have to play that gives you the problem.

greetz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
foentje wrote:
vidra wrote:

The list is rather confusing (experienced players please correct me).

to Scoring cards."

Some clarification:
The forced discarding means you won't have any cards left at the end of the turn, and won't be able to withold them, thus having to play the defcon-lowering-cards and ending the game.

It is indeed not the event of the discarded card that gives you the problem, it is the event on the card left in your hand that you have to play that gives you the problem.

greetz

Thx, just edited my post to do the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.