Subject: Your house rules for solving the runaway leader problem? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Schmidl
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I think most people agree that the game has a runaway leader problem. While some don't care, or argue that it's realistic this way, i'd like the game to be more balanced.

Your suggestions?

---
Matthias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play it again.

Its a short game. Play 3 times and add the scores together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Koleso
Russia
flag msg tools
I think this problem is actual in 2-players game. 4 players, imho, maintain balance "automatically".
As I see when playing with my wife, additional set "Time to fly" significantly resolves this problem in 2-players game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Schmidl
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh, really? i hope it gets translated to english soon...
how does it balance the problem? are there new rules, or are there cards that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chien-Tsun Chen
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mschmidl wrote:
oh, really? i hope it gets translated to english soon...
how does it balance the problem? are there new rules, or are there cards that help?

I WANT English version... zombiezombiezombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Koleso
Russia
flag msg tools
Some new cards I think. First of all, Intellect. Carnivorous with Intellect can ignore one trait of his choice when attacking creature (of course "big mind" needs big food (+1)). And Anglerfish that helps simple animals to survive.
I don't know exactly if it's only my experience or smb else enjoy better balance in "vis-a-vis" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Schmidl
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the english rules are online thanks to ivan (rightgamer)! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/weblink/118062/rules-english-pd...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mschmidl wrote:
the english rules are online thanks to ivan (rightgamer)! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/weblink/118062/rules-english-pd...

Looks good. Just need the cards now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liubov Machina
Russia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news! “Evolution: Time to Fly” expansion is put on sale now! You can buy it on eBay.

And you can already see the description: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/97277/evolut...

and download the rules in English from our website: http://www.russianboardgames.com/rules_evolution_addon_eng.p...

I hope you will like the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Schmidl
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weeee, ordered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the cards language independent? If i buy the game and expansion from ebay, dl the english rules from online, do the cards have text that needs translation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liubov Machina
Russia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are language dependent, but there are English versions of all our games on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Gomez
Spain
Valencia
Valencia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
After some test we found some House rules that solve the 2 big problems of the game.

The runaway leader and the last turn strategy.

1. Make all the cards and the 'take food from bank' optional instead of mandatory. So u can kill all you creatures and start with a 6 cards hand. This usually is enough to wake up and keep in the race.

2. Keep a 6 cards hand limit that must be discard instantly. This prevents the last turn strategy and keeps down players that take 7 or 8 cards per turn.

Optional.

3. Keep partial scoring each round, just adding 1 point for each animal (only). This encourages playing creatures all the game (not just the last turn), and makes some sense on a game where the only important thing is the last turn.

We have tested this rules and they work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chien-Tsun Chen
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cgbernardino wrote:

I like your ideas. Particularlly, scoring each surviving animal for each round makes the PRORESS of EVOLUTION more meaningful and provides alternative strategies (a high-score-big animal vs. a few small-but-keep-VP-coming animals). That's what I do when playing with experienced players.

Hand limit is also a good catch. But maybe more than 6? Need to try it out.

Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Schmidl
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi ceasar,

being allowed to kill all your creatures and starting over again sounds like a good rule. as does the hand limit of 6.

thanks for your suggestions!

cheers,
matthias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cotter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Seems like this game needs a mass extinction mechanic. During this you would tally points, all but one animal per player is killed (I'd even go as far as only allowing herbivores past an extinction event), then you would reset your hand. There could also be mechanics that would limit what kinds of animals could survive, or...well, there would be lots of possibilities for interesting mechanics.

Maybe a card, or after a set number of rounds would put extinction in motion. This would fit right into the theme and delineate separate scoring rounds which are only slightly affected by previous good or bad play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.