• [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:

What's up for your office breakfast?
First: What is that?

Second: I've never seen a work space so sterile and white outside of the Starship Enterprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Second: I've never seen a work space so sterile and white outside of the Starship Enterprise.

Well it's obviously not a real work place because it has a Mac at it, and we all know Macs are only for children, the elderly, and artists. You can't actually do real work on them, they're mostly for blogging and syncing iPods to iTunes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Toasted peanut butter and apricot sandwich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

Well it's obviously not a real work place because it has a Mac at it, and we all know Macs are only for children, the elderly, and artists. You can't actually do real work on them, they're mostly for blogging and syncing iPods to iTunes.

my god, i wish i was one of those three:

child - no responsibilities
elderly - no work
artist - probably both of the above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:

What's up for your office breakfast?

No breakfast but I think we should post pics of our offices for lolz. hold please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a bear claw with coffee. Yummo!

I had a couple breakfast tacos from Alonti Deli, and I'm currently on my third cup of coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:

I don't even care: NOM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

I don't even care: NOM!

I agree. It looks delicious. I hope it's not like a goat eyeball sandwich or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb

My "breakfast" is a coffee like substance from a machine in our little kitchette thingy - my mug is lower left corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:

My "breakfast" is a coffee like substance from a machine in our little kitchette thingy - my mug is lower left corner.

Glory glory Man Uniiiiiiiiiited!!!!! Glory glory Man Uniiiiiiiiiiiited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:

1) Half of a big-as-your-head "donut" from http://www.dhgroup.com/en/pc/pc-restaurant.php (someone brought two big boxes of them in)
2) My group, unfortunately is part of a pilot office space experiment. Really low cube walls and shared "open" and very loud spaces. I could stand up and throw a frisbee and hit someone 1.3 miles away. Most poeple wear headphones to block out the noise. I can look over my monitor, to the left, and to the right and see the faces of hundreds of people. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

1) Half of a big-as-your-head "donut" from http://www.dhgroup.com/en/pc/pc-restaurant.php (someone brought two big boxes of them in)
2) My group, unfortunately is part of a pilot office space experiment. Really low cube walls and shared "open" and very loud spaces. I could stand up and throw a frisbee and hit someone 1.3 miles away. Most poeple wear headphones to block out the noise. I can look over my monitor, to the left, and to the right and see the faces of hundreds of people. soblue

****s_h_u_d_d_e_r****

even more thankful for my office now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
2) My group, unfortunately is part of a pilot office space experiment. Really low cube walls and shared "open" and very loud spaces.

I would quit. Seriously. And I would be sure to let them know exactly why. Idiots.

I'm in an office right now, but we're moving to cubicles next year in a new rented building because new rented buildings with cubicles are what Fortune 500 Cos have. I will either be working from home or quitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
matthew.marquand wrote:
Really low cube walls and shared "open" and very loud spaces. I could stand up and throw a frisbee and hit someone 1.3 miles away. Most poeple wear headphones to block out the noise. I can look over my monitor, to the left, and to the right and see the faces of hundreds of people. soblue
Isn't it funny that the old cubes that everyone complained about as being awful and robotic have not gotten better, in fact they've gotten worse as they have morphed into spaces that aren't even private cubes. They are like you said: 2 low walls and a table-space staring out into eternity at another hundred people that are all just as rightly pissed off as you are at not having a real work-space.

I always thought cubes would get better over time, but it seems like the general corporate workplace trend is towards them getting worse. It's like, "How can we make office drones hate their corporate existence even more? I know! Even LESS privacy! Oh, and speaking of no privacy, we're reading your emails and logging your internet time too."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:

I've worked in a space like that but there was a lot of sound dampening in place to keep down the echo.

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit as I tend to enjoy collaboration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
I always thought cubes would get better over time, but it seems like the general corporate workplace trend is towards them getting worse. It's like, "How can we make office drones hate their corporate existence even more? I know! Even LESS privacy! Oh, and speaking of no privacy, we're reading your emails and logging your internet time too."

I don't get it either. I mean, I understand the, "we're not going to spend any money on space for you so hears a room with fake walls" thing, but what's up with the no walls team building thing.

I mean, I'm not some guy who, uh, fuck I can't even think of a (white color) job where you don't need to often sit down and concentrate on what you're doing without distraction. If you need to meet as a team that's what a damn meeting room is for. It's really fucking asinine. Really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I actually enjoyed it quite a bit as I tend to enjoy collaboration.

I enjoy collaboration too--with the one or two guys I'm currently collaborating with, not the whole damn building. And even then, once we've collaborated on the idea, we all go back to our offices and start working on it.

The only time this isn't true is when you're doing some sort of larger scale testing or integration, and then that's usually in a lab area of some sort, not the office area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an independent contract developer so I can't complain all that much.

As strange as it may sound, I have it rather nice and get some perks working as a contractor:

1) I get to work regularly on a nice piece of hardware with a sufficiently large monitor - I constantly get people stopping by, "Wow, how'd you get that big monitor?! I only have one 17 inch. Aren't you a contractor?!" On the downside, they can see my iMac from a mile away; it rather stands out.
2) Most contractors have to sit at the ends of the rows in an area they call "touchdown spaces"...basically a shelf. They reserved one of the standard issue "open spaces" for me.
3) I get to work on all the cool, new, cutting edge projects. It's the employees that are held back to maintain the old stuff. soblue
4) Unfortunately, I still have to fight with the other 10,000 people trying to find a parking place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, quick stitch shot of my office:

It's a little dreary out today, so here's a shot of a cool cloud I took this summer out of it:

I've been in it for ~7 years. So, you can see why if they threw me in a cube I would just have to leave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snack Time

vandemonium wrote:
but I think we should post pics of our offices for lolz. hold please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I drink your milkshake!
mbmbmbmbmb
My half of the office:

Complete with messy desk(s) and tripping hazards from cords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a crappy panorama of my workplace:

And the ceiling:

Basically I work in a filthy warehouse-type room with no ventilation at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Am surprised at the amount of people in this thread who don't know what an apple fritter is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.